Rear suspension...?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree brakes are a number one priority. it's more important to be able to stop then it is to go. highdesertranger

Gary68 said:
an astro pulling a 6x12,eww,i dont like the idea of an astro pulling anything but you keep it light and drive mellow you should be o.k.
i would be more concerned about braking then anything else,i like to balance the trailer out so it has a touch of tongue weight so the trailer carries the load and the tow vehicle pulls and stops the load,it is absolutely a butt puckering moment when your trailer is pushing you down a hill

highdesertranger said:
I have to agree brakes are a number one priority.  it's more important to be able to stop then it is to go.  highdesertranger

Brakes are definitely something I want. I was looking at brake controllers today...almost ordered a Prodigy 2. The bigger problem I'm seeing is that in the smaller trailer category (6x12) almost zero used and in-stock trailers have brakes. Most have the 2990lbs axle. That's why I think, if things go well, I'll just end up ordering a trailer.

Is it possible/practical to add brakes after purchase?

yes brakes can be added to all but the smallest axles. there will be a flange with 4 holes close to the hub. look for this flange. highdesertranger