Really Nice Van Conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a gorgeous conversion. I wouldn't pay 1000 dollars for anything with that many miles.

vandella said:
It is a gorgeous conversion. I wouldn't pay 1000 dollars for anything with that many miles.

I wonder?? It's a Canadian van, wonder if the mileage shown is in kilometers...worth checking out.

Price is high, but nice interior and it's already got the high top on it...that's worth a bit.

"Floats down the road like a sofa on wheels"

Common operational flaw do to poor design and engineering.

It's the right vintage to be super reliable, and the interior looks nice.

I sold my 1982 high top with about the miles, but not nearly as nice of an interior for $8k, and that was what the guy offered me, I wasn't even trying to sell it. He was driving a sprinter roadtrek and said it couldn't make it across the country without requiring major repairs. He was a mechanic, and he told me he was specifically looking for a pre 1986 for the reliability factor.

I had under $2k in mine, but it was a passenger van when I bought it, then I converted it into a low tech camper van. He loved it. He loved the simplicity and how there was nothing to break down or go wrong. While the one you're looking at has a nicer looking interior, it also looks like with the exception of the solar stuff, that care was taken to have trouble free, low maintenance systems. That's a huge plus over factory campers in my humble opinion. The miles don't mean much, I've hit 400k on several of that vintage before they started requiring much of anything for repairs.

Gorgeous! I wonder if she'd trade it for this Class A of mine?

The "Short wheelbase" is an obvious misnomer. The low roof height and shorty bed would severely cramp me. I'd have to gut and redo the interior. And still be stooping....... And overpriced for it's age.

If it's not fuel injected I'm not buying it. Tired of my stuff not running right at high altitude.

If the van is Canadian, in U.S. numbers it is 160,000 miles at $6400. Not bad especially when you consider the solar, the fridge (depending on brand), the RECEIPTS, and the good condition. I don't see myself paying $8000 with 300,000 miles- no way, unless she can justify $6000 worth of repairs. Some engines do last that long, but the vast majority don't. If the van suddenly collapsed into a pile of dust, she got her money out of it. I would likely talk her down down a bit. I really like the van from what I see, though.