Raw Land an Pahrump

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoopersmith

Reaction score
I currently live in Las Vegas in a House.  When I retire some day, my wife and I plan to travel during the hot summer months.  I had the thought of buying a small plot of land in Pahrump to park a tiny house or RV/Van someday.  Is anyone doing this?  I see land very cheap in Pahrump, some for as low as $3000.  I'm sure it is small with no power/sewer/water for that price, which I think is fine for me. 

Is there anyone here doing something like this?  Basically buying a cheap parking spot?

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Many people are trying.

What you are looking for is recreational property. And there usually are restrictions on how often you can stay there in any calendar year, and what kind of structures - if any - you can build. You will have to check with the local planning department regarding EACH piece of property you are thinking of buying for this purpose. Don't necessarily believe a realtor or seller either. Some will honestly tell you that camping is OK - while omitting the fact that camping is OK for only a limited amount of time.

look at the tax lien sale process in Nye county where Pahrump is. When you don't pay your property taxes, most counties place a lien and auction the lien which can be converted into your title. Somewhat complicated and different for each county usually. But your advantage is the money boys that buy these avoid large vacant acreages. But you must do the zoning research or just say to hell with it and let the government agencies try to enforce. You'll be in cheap and as long as you due process them to death, even if you eventually lose, could end up being a cheap "rental" until you're kicked off

You could call the Nye County Planning Department and ask them about how long recreational vehicles are permitted on a recreational lot.

I found this section:

Nye County Ordinances

17.04.925: TEMPORARY USE PERMITS:

B.  Types Of Uses That May Be Allowed Pursuant To A Temporary Use Permit:

1.  Temporary Dwelling Units: The placement of a temporary manufactured home, mobile home, manufactured building, commercial coach, recreational vehicle, or factory-built housing for temporary residential purposes may be allowed as follows with a temporary use permit:

e.  Recreational Vehicle, Temporary Seasonal Use: A recreational vehicle within all residential zoning districts shall be allowed as a temporary, seasonal use for a maximum of one hundred twenty (120) calendar days per calendar year without a temporary use permit. Occupancies exceeding seven (7) consecutive days shall require connection to an approved permanent wastewater disposal system (i.e., individual septic system or public sewer system) and an approved permanent water supply (i.e., private domestic well or public water system).

-------------------------------------

If you had two lots and moved between them every 7 days, you could possibly stay a total of 120 days on each lot.  But there may be other laws which apply, or the county may make up their own rules and harass you if they don't like what you are doing.

--------------------------------------------------------

I did some searches on the tax sale parcels coming up.  There are some interesting parcels in Johnnie, NV, which is 15 miles north of Pahrump.  I'm not sure if this link will work but will try it:

Map of Johnnie, NV with tax sale parcels outlined in blue:
https://portico.mygisonline.com/htm...-12920934.601755267,4358576.269478597&layers=

I don't think the link will show the blue parcels for you, but there are a lot of parcels for sale in this area.  The large parcels to the east and west of the "village" of Johnnie are BLM land. There was a gold mine somewhere in this area.

Thanks all for the information, lots here to digest...nothing is easy in real estate.

I looked into the tax sale parcels in Pahrump, but they are not cheap (or perhaps I am too cheap) and they are difficult to use. You could stay for a week in an RV, but you can't build a shed.

I find BLM land to be easier to camp out on, with no property tax, than buying property and camping on it.

^^^That is what I found also but there are alternatives like Caballo Loco where you can rent a lot for $1,000 a year and have a shed with lots of storage as well as a home base address, showers and a laundry if you fit in with the mood of the place as everyone sort of helps each other keeping it up while you are there.

At Caballo Loco CG For hookups he says $2300 per year, but actual services are only provided during the winter months. You would need your solar setup up and running. Dry camping rate was $880 per year.

Link to site interview with Bob.
-crofter

http://www.caballolocoranch.com/

Yeah Caballo Loco rates for a boondocking lot went up this year from $880 to $1000. I just paid mine the other day. Still a good buy. I figure by the time you buy a lot somewhere you have to put in a septic system and well you will have close to at least $25,000 tied up. I’m 70 years old this year so I would break even probably around 90 years old and most likely be in a nursing home with Medicaid getting everything I own so renting looks easy with no utility bills or maintenance. As far as full hookups power is only on from 9 AM till 9 PM in the winter and only one day a week in the off season over summer so yes solar would be advised. There are some that live there year round. Most places within a 100 mile area with full hookups 24/7 year round are around $4,000 plus electricity.

It would make more sense to me to buy cheap lands in the more northern states (Wyoming, Montana, the Dakotas, etc because that way you can park there in the pleasant summers for a few months (maybe bring in a shed or connex) and then migrate nomadically in the winter months to New Mexico and Arizona for very little cost (staying on NF or BLM or LTVA land) while your bare land up north is covered in snow and needs no looking after at all. 

This was my plan a few years ago but...things changed here. Still seems like a good plan, at least for some of us.

With so much free to use public land “bare land “ with all the requirements and responsibilities (insurance, taxes, liabilities) makes no sense to me. If you leave a convex or storage building you have to consider theft or damage from vandalism. Most would want access to sewer and water nearby if staying for months. One reason the Long Term Visitor Areas are so inviting to RVers is they furnish that as well as trash pickup. Community has some importance too as it provides security of a sorts as well. I get all of that plus a laundry, mail, heck I could even keep a horse if I wanted to. It is remote and has some challenges but that keeps it from being over run and provides a lot of open public land all around for some solitude. Parts of the year we are up in Utah/Colorado/New Mexico “working” or visiting areas or people we have met to fish or explore. Works well for us (our living standards may be below some as a tent is fine and an old barely functional motor home is luxurious) but not many are like us it seems “buyer be aware” Lol!!!

We have a place up north which is nice Spring, Summer and Fall, but it does require lawn and garden maintenance starting just before Memorial Day. Late in October we can close it up and leave all winter.

So realistically, I would only need a place in a warmer climate from mid October to Memorial Day. The AZ/CA LTVA's plus boondocking on BLM/NFS are a good choice for that. Nevada probably gets a little too chilly in winter.

Lower Nevada does get chilly in Winter and way too hot in Summer.
Hard freezes are not uncommon in the Winter [had to add that for the pedantic].
With rather short, volatile Spring/Fall transitions in between.

Much of the still vacant land, at this point in history, is vacant for universally valid reasons.

Don't buy anything without traveling to the area and physically being on the property.

You might not be able to get there from here. Valid for a range for values of here and there.