Raton, New Mexico - Sugarite Canyon - Soda Pocket Campground

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillipaaron

Reaction score
Soda Pocket Campground (Pay $10)
Spots: About 30
211 Highway 526 Raton, NM 87740
Raton, New Mexico
GPS: 36.972874, -104.39391
Elevation: 7867'

I stayed here for the night. It was a very quiet and awesome spot to hang out. I will certainly be going back to this campground to spend more time. Great views and plenty of hiking. Facilities were clean with bathrooms, fire pits, shaded picnic tables, and bear lockers.

I really enjoyed it in NM, was a bummer to be passing through. I will certainly be going back.

Pretty place.Me and Vic stayed at the NRA place for a couple of days several years ago.

Not sure where that is but if it's like this, I'd want to visit. Disappointed I didn't get to spend more time there, but I'll be back.

NM has a lot of fine state parks. Non-residents can get an annual pass for $225, good for any park, use it as much as you want. If you're going to spend more than 23 days at their various parks, it's cheaper than paying by the day. However, if you want to use campsites with electricity, you need to to pay the extra daily charge.