Radiation Risk/Mobile Internet

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Annie W

Reaction score
[Mod Note: Changed Thread title to reflect OP's discussion in this thread.]

Hi 
wanting to stop derailing JD's thread, am starting here
re computers, (plus some other skills) i lag behind atm.
However,
from my short time in the tribe here, I believe you will Not laugh at me, or
(call me all sorts of damning names done elsewhere
until nearly broke me). - I trust you all know (aside building cars, etc.) how to also build people.
so
as highdesertranger mentioned smart phone, I admitted that we don't even have one.
Partially because repeatedly cautioned re "anything Wifi is a huuge security, & radiation" risk.
Sure enough, recent studies prove immersion... in such technology increases gliomas, yikes!
Aside not sure how to Safely work...
also must keep a Laptop connected with NO interruptions."

The last underlined skill-set I must have for work some hrs daily.
Please help me get up to speed. Thank you kindly. :)

I haven't read the other thread, but if you don't want wifi, you're basically limited to a cellular card (which has a lot of the same radiation) or running a cable to someone's local network. 

If wifi is an option though, you can connect two additional ways:

1. Connect through your laptop's wifi.  if the signal is too weak, you can get a wifi ranger / repeater / amplifier and connect it to an external antenna that points at the wifi (Starbucks, etc). From there I believe it runs an SMA cable to the laptop's wifi adapter where the antenna would usually plug in. This may require a separate card, USB device, or Wireless Access Point since most laptops have an internal antenna you can't remove.

2. Get a mobile hotspot, which converts 3G/4G cell signals into a local wifi signal. Connect to said signal in your laptop's usual way.

But if you aren't physically hardwired into a local network, chances are your connections aren't gonna be 100% reliable. All wireless signals are subject to weather, interference, and network traffic.

Could use a USB dongle to connect to cellular broadband.

I've been using my Android phone with a Verizon unlimited plan. It's not really unlimited - they will throttle you very harshly if you go over I think it's 22 gig, but it's still a good deal.

I use an app called pdanet to connected it to my PC by USB. I had poor results trying to use the built-in Android connection sharing and the app made everything run smoothly.

Personally I would not worry about any normal radio waves being harmful to health. Are you under the impression that cellphone radio waves are more or less harmful than WiFi?

There are USB cellular modem "dongles" that take a SIM card and give you the cell provider's Internet service directly to one PC at a time.

There are routers that take a SIM card and distribute the Internet service to multiple devices via wired Ethernet network (LAN) connections, hopefully allowing you to turn off the wireless (WiFi) network functionality if you consider that necessary.

However it may be necessary for some devices like tablets or smartphones without the ability to connect USB-to-Ethernet ports, to then each have their own separate SIM cards to directly connect to the cell provider, which is more expensive per month.

I didn't say you need a smart phone, sorry if it sounded that way. I meant you can use a Hot Spot or some cell providers let you use a smart phone as your Hot Spot.

as far as NO interruptions, there is no 100% guarantee for that no matter what you do, even in a house or an office or wherever. highdesertranger

Tiny Metal Tube said:
1. Connect through your laptop's wifi.  if the signal is too weak, you can get a wifi ranger / repeater / amplifier and connect it to an external antenna that points at the wifi (Starbucks, etc). From there I believe it runs an SMA cable to the laptop's wifi adapter where the antenna would usually plug in. This may require a separate card, USB device, or Wireless Access Point since most laptops have an internal antenna you can't remove.

One would assume there is a commercial setup like that which could tap into available wifi but connect to the laptop by ethernet.  I think RF radiation concerns at wifi freqs are overstated ("relax, you're soaking in it" -- Madge from Palmolive) but that would keep the bulk of wifi RF on the roof.

OP:  many wifi hotspots/devices allow one to turn down transmission power.  I do it to reduce power consumption but you might do it to reduce RF.   It's also polite because it minimizes interference to nearby systems.

But if you aren't physically hardwired into a local network, chances are your connections aren't gonna be 100% reliable. All wireless signals are subject to weather, interference, and network traffic.

Even hardwired networks aren't 100%.  :)

OP:  I've collected some info on dealing with intermittent internet connections.

OK. You made me go look up what "gliomas" was. I googled it and went to the Mayo Clinic site. I don't know where you are getting your information from but here is what they said: "More-common forms of radiation, such as electromagnetic fields from power lines and radiofrequency radiation from cellphones and microwave ovens, have not been shown to increase the risk of glioma."

I am not trying to dissuade you but adding this for others reading the thread. I personally do not consider this a threat to me and I have been exposed most of my adult life (I am 69). I have three wifi routers working at home, I have had a cell phone since the bag phone days (remember those?). I even had a house for 17 years that backed up to those big (345K volt) lines. YMMV

Very glad that you thus far have not noticed problems from "electromagnetic fields from power lines and radiofrequency radiation from cellphones". - Stay :) Optimally healthy B and C

BUT as evidenced from millions & counting other humans (not only mice & rats) others have Not been as fortunate,
including myself. - In 2000 when I first started using a cellphone, I started getting headaches,
such brutal Migraines, that no drug ever did anything for except triple that hell from their own nasty effects.
Finally 9 months later someone suggested it might be the cellphone...
It took 13 months of not using any cell-phone, that at last the migraines, & lesser headaches STOPPED. - Thank God.
Too
understand that after 37 years working in nigh every medical specialty mostly in ICU's, before then helping start Home-care,
most Conventional medicine incldg. the mayo clinic is not reliable, except in emergencies.
Follow the $$...

references:
December 12, 2017
quote: "The BioInitiative Report 2012 references over 1,800 new studies showing adverse biological effects from low-level EMF exposures.
And just last year, yet again, using a cell phone for just half an hour per day can double the overall risk of developing a malignant form of brain tumor." The BioInitiative Working Group [6] an independent group of international scientists, researchers and public health professionals working on the biological effects of electromagnetic fields (EMFs), has released an important update analyzing the scientific results of case-control studies published between 2010 and 2017 on cancers of the brain.
in more plain language: > Your Head Is An Antenna

what of poo-pooer's like Emily Oster, ass. professor of economics. :rolleyes:  Right, listen to economics professors re cancers. Not.

In response to public and governmental concern, WHO established the International Electromagnetic Fields (EMF) Project in 1996 to assess the scientific evidence of possible adverse health effects from electromagnetic fields: Cell Phone Radiation – Group 1 Human Carcinogen
>> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5376454/ Published online 2017
quote: " Conclusion. RF radiation should be regarded as a human carcinogen causing glioma."
====
How to protect yourself https://www.electricsense.com/775/how-to-protect-yourself-from-cell-phone-radiation/
From Cell Phone Radiation

I guess I am one of the lucky ones and am just immune. Also been smoking since I was 14. No health issues at all other than being out of shape.

How about making the van a faraday cage. Put the hotspot outside and tether it to your laptop with a cable?

Anecdotal stories of migraines offer no proof of cellphone danger. You know that.

B and C said:
I guess I am one of the lucky ones and am just immune.  
Also been smoking since I was 14.  No health issues at all other than being out of shape.

How about making the van a faraday cage.  Put the hotspot outside and tether it to your laptop with a cable?

Hi Brian,
No immunity from radiation aside, you could have greater protection, than say a small child
as obviously their thinner bone density makes their skulls thinner. Sorta true for such an adult.

As far as smoke (while paving your lungs with crap is not Nourishing your body), smoking does Not cause cancer.
it's another lie, of endless more peddled... as part of Follow the $$-scheme.
==
a faraday CAGE ? - is this a joke, or are you really serious ? 

like here http://www.skilledsurvival.com/faraday-cage/ great, yet another project ?

How many here have any such demonstrated faraday gizmos ?

I don't know how thick my skull is but I am told it is very hard:) You know what they say about life, none of us gets out alive.

I thought I was somewhat serious. Would not be cheap or easy to do though. I used to work for an electric provider. Before I retired, they built a control center that was a faraday cage. 2 stories tall and 30,000 square feet. I had to open a door, walk into a small room, shut the door, open another door and shut it after leaving. Both doors could not be open at the same time, built in interlock. They are worried about EMP's. Of course the rest of the system would be down, no generators or substations. Communications was through a short fiber optic cable, an end on each side of the cage. Even had a new fangled rotating drum power source inside. Couldn't wrap my head around that one.

You can control how far you are from cell or wifi radiation. You would know when you turn on or off the hotspot making it safer for you to leave your protected cage. Maybe just putting it on the roof and using a tether would work for you. This would be the cheapest option.

I have 0 personal faraday cages. I gotta go sometime.

B and C said:
I don't know how thick my skull is but I am told it is very hard:)  You know what they say about life, none of us gets out alive.
I thought I was somewhat serious.  Would not be cheap or easy to do though.
(snip)
You can control how far you are from cell or wifi radiation. Maybe just putting it on the roof and using a tether would work for you.  This would be the cheapest option.
Hi Brian,
re "You can control how far you are from cell or wifi radiation.
Maybe just putting it on the roof and using a tether would work for you. "
okay.
so there are GPS-signals now in every cell-phone, & Laptop, etc., regardless of other abilities, or its size,
Does that work with wifi radiation too ?
and
in http://www.skilledsurvival.com/faraday-cage/ they listed all kinds of different & much smaller gizmos to make in less than an hour, did you look on the bottom?
==
Just because almost every physical body eventually returns to 'dust', does not mean it's okay to be killed/destroyed by humanity's satanic financial greed.

My folks left naturally... They worked diligently, & one day they went to sleep & just left, naturally in their sleep...

http://www.skilledsurvival.com/faraday-cage/

Annie,

As far being reliable, a hot spot, when you are parked within decent signal range, will give you pretty much the same reliability as any other Internet connection.
As far as wifi giving you cancer or headaches...besides moving to the Terlingua desert in Texas...maybe Snowflake, Arizona...you will not be able to avoid it. Radio waves in the frequencies that wifi networks use, flood us from every angle, all day, every day and have for years. Any time you are on the highway, you are being bombarded with them. Walk through a hospital (actually, walk NEAR a hospital) and you get slammed with them.

Of course, you got more radiation from an old television or computer monitor when you were a kid.

Laptop cards expose you the same as a hot spot. You are actually exposed to even stronger signals close to your body with a laptop card. Hotspot is the way to go.
DSL or cable modems or dial-up...or cell phone hotspots all can lose connection. Earthquakes happen, too. So do tsunamis.

There are no absolutes. (Except death and taxes ;) )

This is being over-explained.
Think about a doctor warning you that an aspirin may kill you if you take it to reduce fever.
While technically true, it is a pretty damned rare thing.

Don't let concern over radio waves stop you from being mobile if that is what you seek.
There are far more scary/unreliable situations in all of our lives.
(Like regular "silver" fillings in your teeth.)

Now, where did Elvis go? He took all my tin foil and I need it to drive to the convenience store for more Aspirin... :) :) :)

Annie W said:
so there are GPS-signals now in every cell-phone, & Laptop, etc., regardless of other abilities, or its size,
Does that work with wifi radiation too ?
and
in http://www.skilledsurvival.com/faraday-cage/ they listed all kinds of different & much smaller gizmos to make in less than an hour, did you look on the bottom?

I have deleted and rewritten my post a couple of times now....

AFAIK, GPS chips in phones and navigation aides (Garmin, etc.) are receivers, not transmitters akin to the radio in your van.  The GPS satellite transmitters are waaay out in space and you will never get away from those signals or the radio/TV/cell transmitter signals unless you move deep into a cave or build a big enough faraday cage to live in.  

Cell phones and wifi are a two way communication device which means they have to transmit and receive.  Same with a two way radio.

Smaller faraday cages that you are referring to are good for protecting devices (not you) in a apocalypse.  You are trying to protect yourself from the small devices.  Turning one off would have the same effect as putting it in a faraday cage.

I feel sorry for you that you are living in such terrible fear.  If you drive a vehicle you probably have a better chance of dying in a car wreck but does it stop you from driving?  A lot of things in this world are out to kill you.  Everything is a risk, even getting out of bed.

Embrace life and live!

I will now bow out of this conversation......

I would like to speak to the participants of the thread for I would like to share what I do know about getting and using the internet in the hopes of informing a person that did not know how to while on the road. The thing is I doubt a new person would get to this point and see it. They would see a lot of pointless bickering and very little information that is usable. This is too bad because the title of the thread implies so much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.