Question regarding types of chargers.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamsack

Reaction score
Is a solar charge controller the same thing as a smart battery charger (with bulk, trickle charge, etc)?&nbsp; In principle, do they both serve to regulate the flow of current into the batteries?<br><br>The reason I ask is that if I should set up a solar panel system for my van, will having a solar charge controller be sufficient to regulate the current into the batteries or do I still need some sort of battery charger as well?<br><br>I apologize if some (or all) of my questions seem confusing, but I honestly don't know anything about electrical stuff and it's a painfully slow process of trying to get educated on all this.&nbsp; Thanks in advance.<br><br>

The solar charge controller will regulate the charge into the battery from the solor panel(s).&nbsp; It will not take 120vac from a generator or wall outlet and use that to charge your battery like a battery charger or converter/charger would.<br>

Yam, just get the Morningstar sunsaver mppt.&nbsp; It's the best one, highly efficient for charging in low-light coniitons, AND it has different settings for various kinds of batteries.&nbsp; The instructions are VERY easy...<br><br>The sunsaver is actually a 4-phase charger, whereas it will also has an "equalization mode" for properly recharging deeply discharged AGM batteries, automatically once a month, if you select the option.&nbsp; Since I never let mine get under 70% or so, I don't have it equalize. <br><br>Also, I have most of my 12v receptacles wired to the sunsaver, which handles up to 15 amps. With the optional "remote meter", it tells you everything from inside temperature, to how many amps your stuff is using in real speed,&nbsp; how many amps its charging etc...&nbsp; Very handy...<br><br>Read this:<br>http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/support/library/SSMPPT.IOM.EN.02.pdf<br><br>Here's the meter:<br>http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/rm-1<br><br>This is the optional battery temp sensor:<br>http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/remote-temperatur-sensor<br><br><br>

I made a simple "command center" out of 1/4" panel (sides) and plywood (front).&nbsp; I then painted it with Valspar rock paint.&nbsp; It came out awesome, and is mounted on the passenger wall, just to the left as you open the side doors. <br><br>It's been working out great for me.&nbsp; Out of the way, but within view at all times... <br><br>Here are some pics:<br><br>
0515010928.jpg
<br><br>Don't get West Marine 12v receptacles. They suck. <br><br>
Commandcentersideentire.jpg
<br><br>The Blue Sea 7622 relay should be your following purchase, so your panels will charge the starting battery, and the engine would also charge the house batteries.&nbsp; It also allows you to jump the starting battery, if you kill it for some reason... <br><br>
0504011833-1.jpg
<br><br><br>