Question for CDL Truck Drivers Re: DOT physical

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queen

Reaction score
I'm considering getting my CDL back, might drive buses, might see about hot shotting if I need some money.  I used to haul lowboys around the Midwest, taking farm implements to various research sites, I also drove buses for the local park district disabled kids programs, and drove for Airborne Express in Chicago (mostly pie wagons and semis).  I've also driven fire trucks and ambulances, and grain trucks at harvest time.  So I've had the license and pretty much all the endorsements at one time or another, but as my bum leg got worse and worse I decided to go back to college and do some non back breaking work.  

It's been 12 years since I had to take a DOT physical so I'm hoping someone can clue me in on how they go now.  I still have pee clean as the driven snow, my hearing and vision are fine, no diabetes or epilepsy. I'm mostly healthy, but I walk with a limp... will that exclude me?

No. People with prosthetic limbs pass the DOT physical as long as you can function with your limp or what ever ailment you have.

Rob

Thanks, Rob. I had one overzealous tester make me squat and duck walk a few feet for one of my DOT physicals, that would be impossible now so it's good to know even someone with a prosthesis can pass!

What about a lower back injury? Can they deny you if you have a "bad back"?

Part of the test is seeing if you can touch your toes and sit up from a lying position.

Sometimes I wonder why they test for so many issues... It's like they're trying to find ways to make you lose your job. :(

I've got a CDL and I've been there, done that.

They are paying very close attention these days to blood pressure, diabetes,  and any signs or symptoms of sleep apnea...especially for those of us over about 40 years old.

For blood pressure, when you list any and all medicines you take, they will pay real close attention to it.

If you have borderline BP: On the day of the appointment, eat a very light meal, or nothing. Drink only water, no juice, nothing with sugar.

If you smoke, lay them down the night before and dont touch one till after the appointment. Don't drink any coffee or any other energy drink, or soda with caffeine.

A sip is fine, but dont go in there having just consumed a large Starbucks Cafe Latte, and halfway thru a Big Gulp Mountain Dew. You dont want that heart rate or BP up too high. Also, if you have borderline BP, then tell the lab person that you are subject to 'lab coat hypertension' and then they will let you relax for several minutes after you walk into the exam room. This helps a LOT when they do finally measure your resting blood pressure.

Although not actually on the list, the ME (doctor, most likely) while checking your eyes, ears, throat, abdomen, balance, etc, will be appraising your overall condition in his or her opinion of whether you might possibly be having sleep disorders. If your BMI is over a certain number, or your neck size is over a certain number of inches (different for men or women) then the doctor might want send you for a sleep study. You do NOT have to go. You can say thanks doc. Leave the facility and make another appointment with another certified ME.

They LOVE to send us to a sleep study..there is a lot of profit in the system for that.

Now, if you have actual hypertension,diabetes, or sleep apnea, you are in a different category and you need to be treated, but I got the impression you are fine, other than just being older and maybe apprehensive.

In the latter case, just stacking the deck in your favor is a good thing.

Now you know you will also need to go thru the entire written and driving skills test for your CDL, correct?

Thanks for the info, tx2sturgis!

I'm weirdly healthy for an overweight middle aged lady, low BP, normal blood sugar/heart rate, pretty much fine except for the gimpy leg. I do have asthma, but it's controlled with a pill and an inhaler.

I figured I'd have to re-take everything, but I'll start small and skip things like doubles and hazmat unless a job calls for it.  It helps that I'm a wickedly good test taker, last time I passed after reading through the manual once and sitting for the test right away, I think it's just good short term memory because lord knows the long term is disappearing at an alarming rate.  :p

Cool! Well good luck.

Scheduling a rig to take the skills test can be an issue...and also the hazmat endorsement now requires you to have a background test done by the TSA.

One more thing...I forgot to ask if you are talking about an interstate CDL or an inTRAstate CDL...

The rules are much less strict for intrastate, but since you mentioned DOT I assume you are talking about the Feds and interested in crossing state lines.

Of course there are state DOTs but I assumed you meant Federal.

I always had a federal DOT med card, never thought about intrastate being different. I guess initially I might try a school bus company, get all the stuff done for free while I drive their bus and go through their program. Since I've transported handicapped kids in the past that's a pretty swift entry to a job with the schools.

I'll wait until I'm back in FL and needing some money before I start the process though, since it's all got a clock attached to it.

Ok then....yep.

When I retire next year, I will go into the local DMV and re-self-certify as inTRAstate, exempted, Category 4.

Presently I am interstate CDL, non-exempt, category 1. I also have all of the endorsements...every one of them, passenger, combination, doubles/triples and hazmat....plus motorcycle.

Category 4 will let me keep my CDL Class A, and all endorsements, but not require a medical certification.

Of course, I wont be driving interstate commercial vehicles either.

But many retiring truck drivers go into the DMV and just tell the clerk they are done driving and wont need it any of it, and they are downgraded to a standard operators license which has too many limitations for me. And if I should change my mind, I dont have to re-take all of the tests, I only have to make an appointment to get poked and prodded, pee in a jar, and I'm good to go.

Plus the category 4 will still let me drive ANY kind or size of RV, farm truck, truck mechanic road tests, class 8 tractor shuttle while in-state, in-state church or school bus, in-state fire engine, (not ever gonna happen) and several other types of vehicles.

Anyway, good luck and let us know!

I found out I had sleep apnea through my doctor/Kaiser. Then they informed the DMV/DOT. Now I have to take my physical every 12 months instead of the usual 2 years (sucks). Someone told me that when my license comes up for renewal, because I have sleep apnea, I'll have to take the entire written test instead of just having them send me my new license in the mail, like they have pretty much all my life. :(

I haven't confirmed this yet. I'm hoping they're wrong.

Very cool info on the cat 4 status! I let my whole CDL lapse when I stopped driving because I didn't want the hassle and expense of the medical exams.

Most school systems have great training programs with little or no cost to the employee, and the big advantage is knowing you will test with a vehicle that will pass pre trip inspection.

Queen said:
Thanks, Rob. I had one overzealous tester make me squat and duck walk a few feet for one of my DOT physicals, that would be impossible now so it's good to know even someone with a prosthesis can pass!

I had one 'check' my testicles and cords, definitely not part of the DOT physical before that time or the one after

bullfrog said:
Most school systems have great training programs with little or no cost to the employee, and the big advantage is knowing you will test with a vehicle that will pass pre trip inspection.

My second CDL road test I got to stand in the parking lot at the DMV and try to find the loose turn signal wire on an old IH 4200, thankfully the tester was used to junky farm trucks and gave me some time while he finished his coffee.

Great answers to the question. I still have and will keep my CDL current. In Ohio the DOT allows you to keep a current "inactive" CDL, without taking an annual physical. Should you decide to drive again, no CDL test required, just provide a current physical. Having said that, the company can still require you to go to a school if you've been inactive for over a year. They ask questions on the application regarding "last time you drove/were employed. Some companies have their own school, some don't. Best of luck. I thought about driving bus during my career but the thought of dealing with students or adult passengers changed my mind quickly:)

BigT said:
What about a lower back injury?  Can they deny you if you have a "bad back"?

Part of the test is seeing if you can touch your toes and sit up from a lying position.  

Sometimes I wonder why they test for so many issues...  It's like they're trying to find ways to make you lose your job.  :(

In many cases it will be the employer who will not hire a 'Bad Back'. Too many workmans comp claims and truck drivers are prone to suffer from Bad Backs.

I worked for awhile as a claim investigator and many drivers were filing false or exaggerated claims. That makes it hard for others.

Good Luck,

Rob

BigT said:
I found out I had sleep apnea through my doctor/Kaiser.  Then they informed the DMV/DOT.  Now I have to take my physical every 12 months instead of the usual 2 years (sucks).  Someone told me that when my license comes up for renewal, because I have sleep apnea, I'll have to take the entire written test instead of just having them send me my new license in the mail, like they have pretty much all my life. :(  

I haven't confirmed this yet.  I'm hoping they're wrong.

It sounds wrong...I dont know of any law that makes you retake the tests just because of a medical issue, unless you were downgraded by the state for non-compliance.

And just so you know, you will actually be taking that physical about every 11 months...due to processing time, risk of a downgrade, job obligations, and time scheduling with an ME, the time is shortened and your exam date will actually move up about a month every year.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

But here is the 'rub' with sleep apnea as I understand it. I'll use myself as the hypothetical example here.

If during a DOT medical exam they send me for a sleep study, and the results are positive, then yes, I will have that noted on my medical and DOT longform. Drivers are given some time off to adjust to the device and get into compliance before being allowed to drive a truck again.

IF on the other hand, I only suspect I have it, (usually due to a sleeping partner's complaints) and present to my private doctor (not the DOT ME) with the symptoms or complaints, then he or she refers me for a sleep study, and I then get the prescription for a C-PAP, I am NOT obligated to report to the DOT or my employer. This is due to the confidential status of the private doctor/patient relationship.

And I dont lose a month or two of income from the required 'adjustment period'. Maybe I purchase the device, or maybe I cant afford it...and/or simply dont use one.

But then when I go in for my next regular DOT physical, there will be that requirement that I report my diagnosis and use of the C-PAP. Will I actually do that?

Lets say I don't mention it, since they wont know....

Ok...now, many trucks will not support a C-PAP running all night, some will. (it depends on idle settings, APU, inverter, etc). Lets say you run the batteries down during a stay in an anti-idling location, and it wont start the next day and it requires a service vehicle to provide a jump...what do you tell your employer?...or maybe I'm even involved in an accident and the first responders or police find a C-PAP in the cab....then what?

If I dont or wont present a prescription for it, that will be a BIG problem. If I do, then now I have to get re-certified and thats IF I am able to retain the job and the CDL medical.

Its a no-win situation.

The sleep-apnea industry has us by the short hairs....

BobBski said:
Great answers to the question.  I still have and will keep my CDL current.  In Ohio the DOT allows you to keep a current "inactive" CDL, without taking an annual physical.  Should you decide to drive again, no CDL test required, just provide a current physical.  Having said that, the company can still require you to go to a school if you've been inactive for over a year.  They ask questions on the application regarding "last time you drove/were employed.  Some companies have their own school, some don't.  Best of luck.  I thought about driving bus during my career but the thought of dealing with students or adult passengers changed my mind quickly:)

I hear ya, Bob, only way I'd consider it is if they have a bus monitor of each bus.  Kids can be distracting enough, no way in this current litigious climate I'd be responsible for them all by myself while trying to safely drive the bus.

In my driving days I much preferred cargo that couldn't talk.  :D