Question about shuttle/transport vans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Classica

Reaction score
Screenshot_20200510-144153.png

Not larger cutaway shuttles, but those smaller ones, usually with a tall, boxy high-top and a wheelchair lift crammed into them. I'm thinking about getting one for a van build, but it would be super helpful to know if there's an official term I could use when searching for them.

Secondly, the file I attached(presuming I did it right) is a Dodge RAM 3500 version, whereas the most common ones are almost always Econolines. I've always been a fan of the RAM aesthetically and, based on my research on dimensions, the RAM also looks notably more spacious(I'm right at six foot, so this is important to me). Has anyone else up here seen these around? All I seem to find are the Econoline ones. Up until I discovered this one, I didn't even know there were RAMs modified into transport vans

Lastly, the photo I posted is actually one for sale about 3 hours from me. It's already at 216,000 miles, which worries me, and is black(not ideal for heat, so I'd likely wanna repaint it... Which is more money). He's asking 3800 for it and I was curious what you fine- and likely more experienced- folk think about it

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200510-144153.png
    Screenshot_20200510-144153.png
    575.9 KB · Views: 6
I have been interested in a shuttle bus in passing. If you keep your eyes open , you can find some very low mileage
examples from like elder care facilities or schools with lots of inside room and stand up headroom--sometimes under 5 grand. Downsides- imo- too many windows, poor mileage, complicated air conditioning, weird entry door area & need to do something with the w/c lift (maybe). Also I read the roofs are prone to leak--but that is just hearsay.
But, the more I look at used full-size van pricing-- the cheaper these are if you could work around and live with some of the issues. t

I've read somewhere that some organizations will travel to you and remove the wheelchair lift/take it away for free if it's a donation. I might feel inclined to try and sell it myself though, to make up costs

That aside, I view most of the eccentricities of these types of vans to be opportunities rather than hindrances. I do agree about the windows. I like natural light as much as the next guy, but they seem like they can be difficult to work with if you're trying to do a build

Oh I forgot the main thing--Can you insure it for the intended use? There have been very recent threads on that fly in the ointment.
Likely Registered/Titled as Commercial vehicle --but no legitimate commercial use is intended. Also not titled as an RV until retitled by the state. I will keep my Cargo trailer for now.
Good luck and they are an interesting possibility. t

I haven't done enough research on that to make an informed statement, but I remember reading about that about a year ago or so. If I remember correctly, any "commercial" transport vehicle with a capacity of 15 persons or less can easily and fairly painlessly be titled as a personal vehicle here in Florida.

Of course, I imagine getting it titled as an RV will likely be my end goal. I'll be living stick and brick style during the build process anyway, but that is a good point you brought up, so thank you!

That could be in any given state. I know in Illinois that 15 people is the upper cutoff for whether you need a CDL to DRIVE the vehicle if you just have a regular driver's license. This is one to find out before you buy a shuttle--the state office should be able to address the titling,
then I would talk to the insurance company as they all have their own underwriting rules.

Main thing with the Dodge chassis is to check underneath for rust. Particularly the front frame horns. The steering gear box bolts on to it on the driver side.

I didn't know about it and bought my current 3500 without checking. I got lucky and there was surface rust only. I was able to grind the rust off down to the bare metal and then coat it with rust reformer and a couple top coats of enamel. I pulled the steering gear box off to inspect and adjust it and there was no rust underneath it. 

Mine was a 15 passenger but it didn't have the aftermarket body. It's an extended van with the 360 (5.9) and it runs great.

It's registered in Florida and they call it a station wagon. No problems with insurance but like I said, it doesn't have an aftermarket body. I'm not sure how that will pan out for you