Question about Reflectix

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrossCountryGal

Reaction score
Have been lurking for awhile and thought I'd venture out and thank everyone for all of the incredible tips/tricks/pics you've all so generously shared. I'm learning so much - thanks!!<br /><br />Quick question about reflectix please. &nbsp;While blacking out my windows for privacy is a priority, I also don't want to advertise that's what I'm doing. &nbsp;I have a Nissan Xterra (color black = hot!) and it seems like reflectix in the windows would be waving a red (silver!) flag when I'm stealthing. Suggestions please on how y'all maintain a low profile with the reflectix in your windows?<br /><br />Took a cross country trip this past summer and put up black out curtains attached with binder clips at night. &nbsp;While that worked well, when I took them down during the daytime all of my "stuff" was viewable to anyone walking by.<br /><br />Thanks so much!

just a thought if you have a left over bit of foil &nbsp;try taping some black gaffa tape to it<br />and place in 1 window leave and walk around your van,close and from a distance might juts enough to look ok<br /><br />Cheers<br />Ann<br /><br />

why not just use limo black window tint.&nbsp; i don't know were you are located but in desert country its common.&nbsp; btw you can't see in but you can see out.&nbsp; check your local laws.&nbsp; highdesertranger

Limo tint, cardboard painted black, then reflectix. I bought the foil backed Duct insulation, 1/2" thick with cotton batting insulation. No itch and no off-gassing.

Hmmm I hadn't considered the limo tent and reflectix. &nbsp;How difficult is it to put on the tint DIY? &nbsp;<br /><br />Thanks!

&nbsp;Instead of the black limo window tint, you can buy reflective film from your local hardware store which is made for house windows. A lot cheaper and it also reflects the sun's heat, while providing some privacy. The dark tinted window films tend to heat up the window and can get things pretty hot in the summer.

Reflective/ silver window tint on rear facing windows is illegal in many states. <br /><br />&nbsp;Whether they choose to enforce it is another matter.&nbsp;