Question about Portable Solar Panels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oops.... here's a link<br><br><br><br>there are a bunch of different types, it seems. this idea caught my eye...

<p>I couldn't find a price for this one on their site, but Bob Wells sells a 90-watt solar panel easy-setup that comes in a suitcase for $400 (other solar setups are on this page too):&nbsp;</p><p>http://cheaprvlivingblog.com/bobs-cheap-solar-living-store/<br><br>(Edited to add: I see now that the price is $695 for the panels you posted.)</p>

Personally, I have no experience with these. However, I have a good friend who fulltimes and has the ones like Bob sells. We have camped together and I watch her take them out (45#), set them up, move them around to take advantage of different sun positions, the length of the electrical cords limits where she can place them, and then she has to find a place in the van to store them. She says they're a PITA, but she likes parking in shade, which is why she chose these. She also said if she had it to do over again, she would find another option.

Like everything, there is an upside and a downside.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm not sure which way I'll go. I just started my conversion, so I'm looking into all sorts of different options for things. These looked like a great idea, but it's true what you say about the downside....

I just spent 30 minutes writing a reply and had a boo-boo with the electric brain.&nbsp; I will spend sometime later tonight doing this on word, saving it the copy and paste.&nbsp; It was/will be very informative on this subject and will help a lot of you out and also raise some question I am sure.&nbsp; Till midnightish EST.

<EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">I'm sorry but I don't really get the folding solar panel. Camping aside.</SPAN></STRONG></EM><BR><EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">I just figure if your fulltiming you would have fixed panels on the roof of whatever your rolling in and buy yourself a aux plug in panel / s for extra boosting when stopped for awhile, shaded areas etc.</SPAN></STRONG></EM><BR><EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">I simple just buy quality panels when I see them discounted and run a set of output leads from them as plug in extras. </SPAN></STRONG></EM><BR><EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">No hinges, handles or special brackets (that make them bulkier) needed this is stuff which just adds to the price, after all it easy just to prop a panel up facing the sun. Storage wise, plan on a solid slotted gap under a bed, cupboard or on the bed (when travelling)</SPAN></STRONG></EM><BR><EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">Geoff</SPAN></STRONG></EM>

I get the folding and storage aspect of it.&nbsp; I have a ton of crap in totes and soft cases in the bed of my truck.&nbsp; As for bolting on top of the cap, I have a rack system (home built) and a canoe and ladder up there.&nbsp; I guess if you just want to drive your home around and walk every where, and not be tooled with life one could just bolt on some panels and roll.&nbsp; Not everyone is the same, so storage and protection is important.&nbsp; <br><br>I run 13 items off mine and have all I need, basic for some, more than others.&nbsp; But that could be said of a home, job or life.

<EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">Yeh, but why folding.&nbsp;&nbsp;Seems they're more bulkier folded that just having a flat panel on the ground or where ever you put it.</SPAN></STRONG></EM>

That is what you don't get.&nbsp; A solar panel has a frame.&nbsp; The front or the back is still panel.&nbsp; A good folding panel system, when closed has protection, neither the panel or the back of the panel is exposed.&nbsp; I am rough and am not going to change.&nbsp; When I fold my instapaks, there is nothing to scratch or crack.&nbsp; It is encased.&nbsp; I can slide a duffle or&nbsp;whatever a crossed it and no worries.&nbsp; All good.&nbsp; The is baby in the cargo bay.&nbsp; <br><br>Granted, I don't know much about solar, I only install about 3 acres a year for SUNWISE.&nbsp; Panels are tough if left there.&nbsp; Panels are not as tough as the warranty when you pitch, chuck and deploy every 14 days.&nbsp; This is where the rubber meets the road and experience talks and google walks.<br>&nbsp;

<EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">OK, Thanks RJ, I believe you.</SPAN></STRONG></EM>

This is grossly mis-categorized. This place will turn into a junk pile if someone doesn't watch this stuff. Just sayin'!<br>Gus