Question about GPS

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainChaser

Reaction score
Electronics are magic, okay?  Simple answers are best.

Question:  Can you get a GPS reading no matter where you are?  Or are they like cell phones, dependent upon towers and line-of-sight?

TrainChaser said:
Electronics are magic, okay?  Simple answers are best.

Question:  Can you get a GPS reading no matter where you are?  Or are they like cell phones, dependent upon towers and line-of-sight?

As long as you are outdoors and no metal roof over you and no heavy tree canopy, you will get GPS reception on a stand-alone GPS receiver. In other words, a clear view of the sky is all that's needed.

No cell signal required.

tx2sturgis said:
As long as you are outdoors and no metal roof over you and no heavy tree canopy, you will get GPS reception on a stand-alone GPS receiver. In other words, a clear view of the sky is all that's needed.

No cell signal required.

In addition to what he said, you will also not get a GPS signal in some narrow canyons . . .

what they said. I have been in areas of extremely heavy tree cover and very steep and deep canyons that blocks the signal. IMO it's best not to rely on a GPS anyway. it's best to know your way around without one. however having said that a GPS is a very useful tool. highdesertranger

Can't beat a GPS to show you where your at, point you with directions to where you want to go and if you have tracking turned on and displayed, where you've been, all at the same time.

Yeah, a GPS will work best with an 'un-obstructed' view of the sky, a small sliver of sky between narrow canyon walls can block the satellite signal, as can an urban jungle with lots of tall buildings...

And yes, you have to be paying attention...its a tool, it cant know about flooded roads, trees across the roads, heavy traffic, road construction etc. (they do have units with traffic warnings if you pay extra)

Are you looking at a turn-by-turn GPS for road navigation or a trail-type GPS for exploring the boonies by hiking or cycling?

tx2sturgis said:
And yes, you have to be paying attention...its a tool, it cant know about flooded roads, trees across the roads, heavy traffic, road construction etc.

Heard a story from some guys I know in a 4x4 club.  They had to pull a guy with a car out of a snowbank.  It was a seasonal road, never plowed in the winter, and there was a sign clearly saying it was closed til springtime, but this idiot turned onto it because his GPS told him to . . .

GPS technology triangulates your position by fixing onto the satellites that fly overhead. If your GPS has GLONASS, you get to tap into the Russian's satellites too. You have to have a lock on at least three satellites to fix your position.

Okay, thanks for all the info!

I'm not really thinking of getting one, but I was wondering how they worked. They sort of sound like they operate like satellite phones, with the heavy tree cover, canyons and metal roofs.

I understand maps a lot better than electronics, and I've even made a few booboos with them. K.I.S.S. usually works best for me.

OP, I've heard stories like that: people driving into lakes, onto snowed-in forest service roads. A friend said that what used to be called 'death by misadventure' has kind of been renamed 'death by GPS', due to the turn-on-GPS / turn-off-brain problem.

Thanks again!

A better saying would be "turn on GPS/leave brain turned on also."
GPS for everyone is a great invention for outdoors people, but it's also good to know the old ways. Noticing and remembering landmarks, being aware of weather, noticing if something is looking "hinky" instead of staring at the GPS screen obsessively.

highdesertranger said:
...deep canyons that blocks the signal.

But when you're in deep canyons, your options for direction of travel are severely limited anyway. ;)

^true but I was just relating a place that it didn't work for me. I would like to point out that I don't use GPS for navigation. I use it t mark locations in the field then I can transfer those locations to USGS maps. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
^true but I was just relating a place that it didn't work for me.  I would like to point out that I don't use GPS for navigation.  I use it t mark locations in the field then I can transfer those locations to USGS maps.  highdesertranger

Modern Day Treasure Maps!  None of that "take ten paces west of the tree, then 20 paces north" stuff! :cool:

I have a garmin gpsmaps62s which i turn on whenever i go out hiking or looking for geocaches. the tracking has kept me from getting lost a time or two. I would suggest strongly that you practice with it before you head out into the boonies. amazing how much you can learn about terrain by looking for geocaches.

^
I'm a Garmin GPSmap62s owner as well. It's done well for me on my trips into Mexico.

Garmin's BaseCamp software is your friend.

One of the cool things you can do with most of the popular vehicle GPS units is that you can add what are called POI files, and almost all of these are free.

Depending on what you are interested in, you would download and install the file for a variety of places that you want, and that may or may not be included in the standard Points of Interest included in your particular unit.

Lets say you wanted to have all the locations for all the lighthouses on the east coast. Or all the craft stores in Texas. Or all the golf courses in the USA. Maybe all of the RV dealerships in Canada. Maybe all of the pistol ranges in Arizona. Or all of the KOA campgrounds in North America. Or maybe all of the Dairy Queens or historic town squares in a certain area.

Whatever you want, there is probably a POI file for it...and yes, including big box stores like Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.  

These will end up in a separate folder in your GPS, so that you can search them easily, and quickly, without having to dig around in the other built-in POIs already in your GPS.

You will need to set up a free account, and after that you can download what you need or want. I would recommend no more than about 5 large POI files, or a dozen smaller ones, and install one or two to make sure your GPS has the room. Some have more spare memory than others.

You will also need a basic POI Loader, they have that too, you need to download and install on your computer, the one that is made for your brand of computer and GPS. Of course you will also need the data cable for your GPS...the regular power cable might work, or you may have to use the original USB cable that probably came with it.

I have been a member for 9 years....the files are from a variety of sources, mostly from members who compile the information and upload them and keep them updated.

Just thought I'd put it out there in case anyone was not aware you can do this.

http://www.poi-factory.com/

Click on the tab that says POI Files to browse thru them...see if there is anything that interests you.

BTW, many of those files from POI Factory also work with Google Earth, so you can use them on your laptop for trip planning purposes.

That stuff sounds interesting... maybe I'll put a GPS on my Future list.