Q about sae to m4 adapter cable

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your Solar Charger also probably has a reversed connection warning feature that will tell you if the polarity is reversed. All of mine do.

Your Solar Charger also probably has a reversed connection warning feature that will tell you if the polarity is reversed. All of mine do.

I’ll check that once I hook it up. If I even do. I only have a short window in which to boondock— probably too short to mess with Amazon. So if I can’t find what I need locally, all I need to do is buy ice and not use my battery bank. Not so hard, I’ve done it before.

Thanks Tx and JDub.

Polarity testing by reading voltage at this bulkhead port will only work IF the solar charge controller is mounted on the portable panels, meaning this port wiring runs directly to the battery.

If the solar charge controller is installed inboard, the pins on this port will appear 'dead' to a multimeter. (there may be a few floating millivolts showing on the meter display but this is just leakage current from the device) You will need to use the continuity function on the meter, and test from each pin to battery or chassis ground. The one that shows continuity to ground is the negative pin.

So...still waiting on the answer to my question to the OP: Is the solar charge controller mounted on the portable panel or is it installed inside the camper?

Set your Multimeter to dc volts. Put one lead in each hole. If the voltage reads positive, you have the leads right. If it is negative (a minus number) you are reversed,

If you get neither, you aren't connected or there is a cutoff.

edited.

Thank you all for your input. Because I couldn’t get a sae to m4 connector quickly, I just checked into an rv park a week earlier than I wanted to. No big deal— I’m sitting at a fairly fancy resort pool overlooking a lovely stretch of river. Feeling pretty fancy at the moment!

Tx- my controller is inside.