Pvc vs wood

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grannie

Reaction score
I just saw some simple van builds on Pinterest using Pvc pipe.  I am thinking that it would be a bit lighter than wood but not sure about the durability or the condensation issues or any other issues that I haven't thought of yet.
  Sound off

Hi Grannie, this has been my experience.  Started with wood built bedframe, with 1/2" plywood on top. worked great. Then I thought about the weight, and built a pvc bedframe with 1/2" plywood on top.  I glued the joints together, but still as time goes by some of the  joints come apart and need to be shoved back together. With the mattress on top, and me being old, it is too much trouble to glue back together (someday I will, maybe) but a nuisance anyway. And really in the end I don't think I reduced the weight to make a big difference.   :s

Grannie said:
I just saw some simple van builds on Pinterest using Pvc pipe.  I am thinking that it would be a bit lighter than wood but not sure about the durability or the condensation issues or any other issues that I haven't thought of yet.
  Sound off

Condensation is not going to be much of an issue for that kind of structure.  It is such a small risk that I would not bother to put it onto a decision making tree of positive and negatives.

Note to all who want to build with PVC.
For a PVC structure that is going to be supporting substantial weight, such as a bed, you will want to use schedule 80 PVC tubes. The Schedule 80 is the same outside diameter but it has thicker walls that can bear more weight without deflection. A reply mentioned joints coming apart, that is from deflection, ie bending, under load. The schedule 80 has thicker walls so it is stronger and more resistant to bending, breaking, etc. Of course it does cost more to purchase but if cheaper does not last then the purchase price of the cheaper version will be wasted money. You would end up paying the cost of the material that failed plus the cost of purchasing the right strength of material to remake your project. But the design of the bed frame of PVC does need some extra supports along the front face frame. For the long side of a mattress a support at each end and two more between them. But I myself put in three using one in the center because that is where you typicaly sit and rest your full body weight in a concentrated area. So think about where you will sit down and then add a vertical support right under that point. If you want the bed frame to hold up and last a long time the location of that particular piece of support structure in the frame is a lot more important than getting storage bins to fit just right. Where your hips rest when you are lying down is also a place that bears a lot of weight.

Here is a website article regarding the differences in the Schedule 40 white PVC tubes and fittings and the heavier duty Schedule 80 grey PVC. 
https://www.commercial-industrial-supply.com/resource-center/schedule-40-vs-schedule-80/

You can get both types at hardware stores and at stores such as Home Depot and Lowes. Same construction methods and project plans can be used for both versions.

You might consider steel. I found a simple steel twin bed frame online and it happened to be tall enough to go over the wheel bulge and for the typical sized bins to slide under. Since steel is stronger the tubes can be smaller and take up less space that PVC. You can make a bed frame from this type of shelving:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Edsal-6...el-Shelving-Unit-in-Black-UR-364BLK/203926737

Or you can use slotted angle steel like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-B...in-Zinc-Plated-Slotted-Angle-802407/204225759

Of course, you'd need to have the ability to cut the metal to size.

Thanks everyone! All have very good "food for thought" I won't be building for a while yet but trying to keep my brain busy thinking of different ideas.

Grannie said:
  Sound off
you would want to use the heavy schedule PVC, meaning that it has thicker walls and is stronger. They lightweight and less expensive white stuff can fracture under stress. Also be sure you get in enough support post right under where you have the heaviest loads. Such as the place you might sit on the edge of the bed. You want a vertical post in those locations to transfer the weight directly down to the floor.

A lot of people are trying different materials sometimes because they don’t have tools or knowledge, a place to work, or think they can’t do it, or perhaps have experience with other materials, I still think at the end of day, the cheapest, simplest, lightest, most versatile and aesthetically pleasing is still wood. If you build with thin plywood 3/4 x 1 framing, glued and brad nailed it ends up as strong as a plywood boat. If you use cedar for your framing even lighter. If you use nice veneered hard wood plywood you can get it even prettier. You can bend it, shape it, paint it, add to it, change it.

Hey Willy how was you winter did you manage to stay warm, did you spend it in the Okanogan. Weather must be looking up about now.

I spent 1/2 in the Okanagan and 1/2 down on the coast helping get my parents house sold and their stuff taken care of. My old convective vented RV propane furnace worked like a charm and it was warm 'n toasty in my rig. Wtarting to get hot here in the mountains outside of Osoyoos. ..Willy.