Putting up Reflectix? Spray Adhesive

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trekking

Reaction score
For putting up Reflectix, anyone use spray adhesive? It seems like it would be fast and eazy.

On van do you fill the back doors, side doors with foam board after the Reflectix?

Thanks

I've used metal duct tape (a thin film of metal with a thin film of adhesive found in the duct section of the hardware store) on the pop up because I had a huge roll of it. It stuck to the ABS sides and wouldn't turn loose. Mostly we use a bit of duct tape to hold it up until it get's covered. For windows, it's usually a dot of clear siliconized latex caulk which scrapes off the glass easily.

I was thinking that you wanted to have that is tight as possible against the metal on the van so no air could get behind there, that's why I was thinking of using a spray adhesive. So a little bit of air gap behind there would not hurt at all?

Ideally you should leave 1/8" to 1/4" air space (like the thickness of an layer of regular bubblewrap). That is so it can do it's heat barrier/thermal reflector deal. On the other hand, we have used it with 0 space and it did quite well. Many of the Reflectix rolls that we have bought was foil on both sides (some are white on one side and shiny mylar on the other). So I have never been sure if the interior bubbles of the Reflectix were providing the dead air space for the radiant barrier to work. If you go to the Reflectix website you can get a lot of accurate info rather than asking us.

Without an air space Refectix has very little value as insulation. Glued directly to the wall you are throwing your money away and polyiso from Home Depot would be MUCH better.
Bob

How do you folks get that gap behind the Refectix? Run a furring strip and staple it to the piece of wood?

Thanks

Trekking yes, that will do it! I would only do it toward the van sheet metal walls not toward the interior of the van. Just styrofoam or polyiso toward the interior and the paneling can go right up against it, no air space needed.
Bob

Bob

I was given 2 rolls of Reflectix and 9 sheets of he pink 1x 4x8 foam board. I will put the furring strips up, staple the Reflectix and screw the pink foam board to the furring strips. Thanks Bob

akrvbob said:
Without an air space Refectix has very little value as insulation. Glued directly to the wall you are throwing your money away and polyiso from Home Depot would be MUCH better.
Bob

PLEASE do not view Refelctix as "Insulation". It does it's job as a HEAT BARRIER. There is a difference yet has similar results. In my opinion, for what it's worth, you need both. Like I said earlier, an outer thin layer of packing bubble wrap will give you the dead airspace needed without worries that you may crush it, next layer would be EITHER a layer of Reflectix or Mylar for a reflective heat barrier, next (inner layer) is traditional insulation (either fiberglass or rigid foam board). All of this is a total waste of time if you do not include a thermal break. To create a thermal break in our bus, we kept the original insulated metal sheathed walls and simply attached another interior wall made of 1X2s, radiant barrier rigid foam and laminate wood flooring as the wall covering. Thermal breaks are very important. Do an online search for thermal breaks to see how to create them and why they are so important.

Hi all...
I want too use refectix on my ceiling, not as a insulation, but as a hear barrier, question is, that using the bubble wrap then the Refectix as both barrier and insulator, can I, using spray adhesive, glue the bubble wrap to the ceiling, then use the same glue to coat the BW then apply the refectix to that work? I have 2 rolls of the stuff and dont want too just slap it up there only to still be baking later on. Not worried about the cold, i hate sweating while im trying to sleep.

Taj said:
Hi all...
I want to use refectix on my ceiling, not as a insulation, but as a hear barrier, question is, that using the bubble wrap then the Refectix as both barrier and insulator, can I, using spray adhesive, glue the bubble wrap to the ceiling, then use the same glue to coat the BW then apply the refectix to that work? I have 2 rolls of the stuff and dont want to just slap it up there only to still be baking later on. Not worried about the cold, i hate sweating while im trying to sleep.

I'd expect it would work to an extent, though you may get condensation issues on the exposed Reflectix.

Without an air gap it has an R value of 1.1. That's per inch, not per layer. A single layer may have an R value of .5.
That's next to worthless.

Plolyiso has an R value of 6 per inch. Personally I think that's the better choice.
Bob

Question about the polyiso, the roof of the van, while it doesn't have ribs, it's not flat either. I have a Ford Transit Connect. Would I need to fill in the gaps with some material or just glue the polyiso to the raised portions, leaving the air gaps. Having air gaps seems like it would provide better insulation.

I don't have windows on the sides or doors. There are indentations where windows would be. If I use polyiso on the sides I'm thinking of filling those gaps with some sort of insulating material. Any suggestions?

How deep are the gaps?  And how many levels, two?  It has been suggested to use a few layers of the 1/2" Polyiso because it flexes to fit the curves of the van walls and ceiling better than the 1" sheets.  What about generally filling the lowest areas with 'patches' of 1/2" Polyiso. Then cover the walls and ceiling with full sheets of 1/2" of Polyiso (covering the patches).  Then add another 1/2" layer of it (offset the joints) to bring it up to two full layers (which would be an inch, minimum, and 1.5" in the lower spots.  Depending on your need for insulation, you could even add another full 1/2" layer.

I don't know about leaving a dead-air space in the lowest areas, whether it would be better, worse, or a draw.  It may not make much difference as to insulation effectiveness, but filling the low spots may protect those spots from damage or sinking in if they were hit with something.

On the roof, you can probably find Polyiso with aluminum reflective material on one side, I'd put it up over the ribs leaving the air gaps, the aluminum will act as a "super-Reflectix" and might really cool the van in summer. On the walls I'd do the same for the indents, it might help.
Bob