Putt

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks good to my very untrained eye. Having it all together as you do makes sense. Again, nice work.

Thanks, mate, I'll take it this time. Very happy to be sooooo close and on schedule!

Nothing stupid to be seen, nice work!

Things I didn't see however

- a panel box for the 120, surely you're not just putting in one outlet for the whole vehicle?
- a fuse block for the 12V system.
- a place to put a battery charger.

Almost There said:
Nothing stupid to be seen, nice work!

Thanks! As the kids say...I'm excite!

Things I didn't see however
- a panel box for the 120, surely you're not just putting in one outlet for the whole vehicle?
- a fuse block for the 12V system.
- a place to put a battery charger.

As I say, this is just a temporary condition to pass commercial-to-RV inspection. For that, one outlet will do.

I think I should be able to fit a small AC breaker panel above and to the right of the CC....I hope.  I didn't glue the CC stand off to the wall, so it can be moved some over time. Also, if need be, the AC breaker panel can be in the cupboard that will be above what you see so far. Frankly, I plan to have limited need for 110VAC; an induction cook top and a couple outlets will be about it...I hope.

The 12V fuse block and the 12V switching for lights, fans, etc will be mounted on the cupboard door so that I can simply open the door and work on the wiring. I'll need to make a nice flexible wiring harness so the door opens and closes easily, but I've done a lot of electronics work in the past so I think I can cover that. A month more and you'll be able to see it and understand what's up.

The 600W Xantrex inverter up against the wall now is one I had around the house and is in there temporarily for the inspection and to mark time 'til I can afford what I really want.

mms_series.jpg

A Magnum 1000W inverter/charger. I'll take the Xantrex out and place this inside; measurements say it should fit.

Good eye, AT, all stuff I been thinking about.

RobndaHood said:
It looks good to my very untrained eye. Having it all together as you do makes sense. Again, nice work.

My untrained eye sees confusion and magic.  If we ever get 100W suitcase solar, we'll have that and a single battery sitting beside it, unconnected, looking confused as to why we don't have AC.

Putts said:
A Magnum 1000W inverter/charger. I'll take the Xantrex out and place this inside; measurements say it should fit.

Good eye, AT, all stuff I been thinking about.

Not so much a good eye as comparing your 'electrical room' to mine... :D

I know nothing about the Magnum inverter/charger but I do know from experience ... :rolleyes: that the battery charger needs to be matched to the battery bank and then the charger has to be matched to the generator.

Queen said:
My untrained eye sees confusion and magic.  If we ever get 100W suitcase solar, we'll have that and a single battery sitting beside it, unconnected, looking confused as to why we don't have AC.

Yay! Magic!

rilla.gif

I don't buy it, Queen, you're a smart cookie. The more likely scenario is the dialog moving the battery...

Queen: "I don't think I can move the battery today, dear, just too sore."

SWMBO: "Just think of the money we're saving on a gym membership. I'm cooking breky, off you go."

icon10.gif

Almost There said:
...the battery charger needs to be matched to the battery bank and then the charger has to be matched to the generator.

Ruh roh.  Haven't run across that little nugget of info. Anybody got a little elucidation on this?

Fuses!  Hey we LIKE fuses, right?

Except on AC....no no....its GOT to be breakers!

But...if you want something simple, reliable and small, and you only need to protect one or two AC circuits, nothing beats a small fuse panel for AC use. I used one in my cargo trailer. You only need to buy one (or maybe 2) of these and a small metal or plastic electrical box and they work very well with seoprene power cable, also called service cable or coleman cable.

Seoprene cable is really good for 120V wiring in a small vehicle, its MUCH easier to work with than romex, its very flexible, durable (and sometimes rated for oil resistance). You can use it for shore power, generator hookup, inside wiring, vehicle to trailer, whatever.

You don't have to spend $100 or more for a breaker panel and breakers to protect the AC line in a small trailer or van, since it wont be subject to scrutiny by your local city electrical inspector. (Dont wire up your new house with these!)

Some of us actually remember the little screw-in fuses, and you can still buy them...

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_...id=301676387126&&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2658

2017-08-11 11.37.05.jpg2017-08-11 11.39.11.jpg2017-08-11 11.40.06.jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 8
  • 2017-08-11 11.37.05.jpg
    2017-08-11 11.37.05.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 2017-08-11 11.39.11.jpg
    2017-08-11 11.39.11.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 2017-08-11 11.40.06.jpg
    2017-08-11 11.40.06.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 15
Damn! That's a friggen good idear, Brian. Those little fuse boxes should work just fine. Thanks!

I've been using heavy duty 10AWG extension cord for AC cable. Turns out you can usually buy extension cords cheaper than the bulk cable....at least sourced locally at Home Depot. Any reason I should dump the 50' I have and switch to the stuff you recommend?

Thanks!

Well I just go to a good local hardware store and buy the amount I need, say 20 feet, and a couple of the connectors, and build my own cords and assemblies. It's probably a few more dollars but I know its heavy duty, commercial grade stuff and not cheap crimp fitting encased is molded plastic...and the cable is so easy to work with.

But if you already have the cables, and you like the quality, then I'd probably just use what I had.

The little fuse panels work very well, and they are cheap to buy since they are mostly in non-use. You occasionally find them protecting small motors at machine shops and manufacturing plants. Flipping breakers repeatedly can make them fail but fuses can be time-delay or instant, and swapped in 15 seconds.

Make sure to keep a couple of extras fuses, but I doubt you will ever need them.

There are two styles of fuse bases, make sure you get the right fuses. If you carry the panel in to a hardware store, they can match them up.

https://www.surplussales.com/Electrical/Fuses/ElecFuses-7.html

tx2sturgis said:
...and not cheap crimp fitting encased is molded plastic...

Amen to that. I just cut off the connectors and reterminate as needed...still cheaper than the bulk cable.

Thanks for the fuse linky!

The only thing to worry about with SEO cable is that it is rubber, it dries out fairly quickly and weather checks. I personally hate the stuff.
Romex for for 110V is preferable, but if you don't like the solid wire, then marine duplex/triplex is ideal, albeit expensive. It's basically MTW wire in a romex type shield. It is all PVC and has the best durability and longevity. RV builders run Romex for 110V and MTW or similar hookup wire for 12V circuits. Boat builders use marine triplex for 110V and duplex for 12V. They are making the duplex ground conductors yellow now to avoid confusion with the black hot wire in the 110V circuits.

ZoNiE said:
The only thing to worry about with SEO cable is that it is rubber, it dries out fairly quickly and weather checks. I personally hate the stuff.

Hmmm...

Ok...this is from the Coleman Cable Website:

"SEO VS SO (SEOPRENE® VS RUBBER)

Prior to 1981, two basic cord types existed: PVC and Rubber STOW&SOW). Coleman Cable pioneered SEOW and SJEOW constructions using TPE (Thermoplastic Elastomer) technology, to
give customers the “best of both worlds” - the chemical resistance characteristics of PVC and flexibility properties of Rubber with additional enhancements.

TPE has been adopted in many industries as an alternative to traditional rubber technology because of its durability, flexibility and abrasion resistance. The worldwide demand for TPE is now over 2 billion pounds/year and has surpassed the demand of rubber material. TPE is widely used in the automobile and shoe industries because it can handle a wide temperature range and remains flexible at the same time.

Everyday products you may be familiar with that employ TPE technology include automobile dashboards, steering wheels, air bag covers, and soles for footwear.

WHY SEOOW? BETTER CORD FOR THE SAME PRICE!
The inherent features and benefits of TPE compounds provide industrial, commercial, and construction users with a tough portable cord that is easy-to-strip, lighter in weight, and fully recyclable. And because TPE compounds are cost competitive, there is no premium on price for standard black Seoprene® over standard black Rubber cord."

I have had good luck with it for years....but....I dont leave it out 'cooking' in the sun either.

As always, YMMV.

Just a quick overnighter with my girlfriend.

IMG_1961-L.jpg

IMG_1962-L.jpg

"Girlfriend!" you say.

Yep. But she ain't helping to build Putt...so she's no part of the story.

OTOH, her little Yorkie-ish mutt is about the same size as Dart (and about 6 weeks older) and they play incessantly. She brings Deja over for me to dog sit so the little pup doesn't have to be alone all day. Dart is benefiting mightily...he's gotten much less bitey. I think Deja taught him not to go down that road to far...or suffer the wrath of a woman.  :)

Hope y'all have a good week out there!

Yay! A girlfriend!!!!! Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk