[PSA] Yearly reminder to ALWAYS burp your porta-potty before using it.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you don't, all that hot, expanded air in the bottom part will explode up when you flush, splattering "stuff" everywhere.

This is the second time in two years I have had to spend over half an hour cleaning, ahem, crap off of all over my porta-potty. At least I always close the lid before flushing. 

No, I'm not gonna switch to the bucket method. I just thought some of y'all would get a kick outta just how wonderful my week is going.

sounds like you have a blocked vent

You’re having quite a week!

I know nothing of porta-potties. How does one -burp- it? Gentle but firm taps on the back while humming to it?

What you are descriving only happens when you let it get so full that the bottom of the vent tube is no longer above the liquid in the tank. No one should need to ever "burp" a toilet. You are supposed to empty it before it gets that full. So if you are regularly having that issue then you know the cause is you are waiting too long of a time before emptying the waste out of it. Change what you are doing and the problem will go away.

She will change what she is doing when she gets a break from what her guts are doing to her this week. Hope next week treats her better!

MeiraNomadRN said:
You’re having quite a week!

I know nothing of porta-potties. How does one -burp- it? Gentle but firm taps on the back while humming to it?
This made my night... Lol

GypsyJan said:
She will change what she is doing when she gets a break from what her guts are doing to her this week. Hope next week treats her better!
His name is Grant. Guys can also Love, care, think and do :thumbsup:

maki2 said:
sounds like you have a blocked vent

I have a little red vent on the base part. I was under the impression that that was only supposed to be opened when dumping it. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the whole thing is designed to automatically press that vent closed when I attach the top part onto the bottom part.

Are other porta-potties designed with a vent that stays open?

I have had my trusty porta-pottie for a loooong time. I bought the big ol' 5 gallon model back when I was much younger and stronger, I thing it is time to downsize to the smaller version.

The seal on my porta pottie is air tight. I take care of the "O" ring seal with a smear of Olive Oil. I treat any contents with Sodium Percarbonate so gassing and odour are small. But yes, I do always burp the thing before use. Skid mark prevention has always been a couple of strips of toilet paper so I do the burp after putting in the bowl liner so as to catch any burp.

Latest posts