Proximity alarm

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should see all the Kryptonite and Sentry safeboxes I have, haha! My last line of defense are the 3 amigos...Smith, Wesson, and I (said in my best Clint Eastwood voice, hyuck yuck). :D:cool:

i think this would've been much cheaper:
HV005_zps10b908c7.jpg

uses a trip wire and a flashbang (blank) shell. a few eyelets and set your perimeter.

:cool:

Casey, your van is not a "safe-room" from the perils of the world. No matter what you do, it will not protect you. You're just going to have to chance it like everyone else who lives in anything outside of a sticks and bricks home. Remember that those are no less safer and only give a great illusion of it.

Plus send out 1 million volts of electricity to jolt you to the next county, haha!

OK, that reminded me of the 'drunkard security' some friends did years ago at a Ren Faire. Please note- I do not recommend doing this. :angel:

Seems there was a guy in the next campsite who would get drunk every night and wander into their camp 3 or 4 times to take a whiz on the back tires of their truck. :mad:
When asking him nicely not to do that resulted in an obscene finger gesture and language to match, they took it to the next level, wrapping wire around the truck tires and hooking it to a hacked 'hot wire' system used to contain the horses at venues that lacked corrals.

You can probably guess the result. If you can't, think 'peeing on an electric fence' :p

@ Unchained...

Thanks for the recommendation! Off to the local hardware store for supplies now, hyuck yuck!!

Unchained said:
Seems there was a guy in the next campsite who would get drunk every night and wander into their camp 3 or 4 times to take a whiz on the back tires of their truck. :mad:
When asking him nicely not to do that resulted in an obscene finger gesture and language to match,

A good punch to the throat usually elimates such nuisances.

Security with a Backup Sys & separate power source is Smart Tech.

Greetings!

I don't think alarms either deter or slow down thieves any more.

A kill switch WILL keep them from stealing it though.

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

I can't read this whole thread, sorry. The only alarm that does not fail is a well loved big dog. Every thing else, yes every thing else, fails.

Here's an update for anyone interested. I had a proximity alarm installed in 2 different vehicles. One vehicle was a 2 door coupe, the other was a van. After a couple weeks, I ended up de-activating the proximity alarms on both vehicles. Each of the vehicles kept giving off false alarms due to the proximity alarm. On the car, it sporadically would give warning chirps for no good reason, even when nobody was around. That was annoying. On the van, the alarm went off a couple times without any good reason. One day, I got a ticket on my van windshield because apparently the alarm kept going off for no reason, and a neighbor must have reported it to the police station. I later found out that my van nearly got towed away had the alarm not stopped on its own. That was sure alarming!! Pun intended! It's been a few days since I disabled both proximity alarms on both vehicles, and I don't get the false alarms or chirps anymore. Fingers crossed!! By the way, I still have an active alarm system on each vehicle, just not the additional proximity alarm.

I think Zill has the best answer. A dog. But I will not have a dog ~ so I am stuck with a cat with a bad attitude. He will yowl and hiss and complain. Scary if you do not know cats!

Attachments

• 041211223937.jpg
    041211223937.jpg
    99.1 KB
A MONKEY.....now that's whatcha need!!! :D

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lt-AaiJlDkE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If I kept a cat, dog, monkey, or some other 4 legged creature in my van parked all day while I was work, I'm pretty sure the animal control peeps would be all over me in a hurry. I would then have another different problem to contend with. :p:cool:

If you cant bring your monkey to work, you have the wrong job!

caseyc said:
If I kept a cat, dog, monkey, or some other 4 legged creature in my van parked all day while I was work, I'm pretty sure the animal control peeps would be all over me in a hurry. I would then have another different problem to contend with. :p:cool:

I appreciate your comments about taboo subjects to the masses here. I thought I was the only one with a Viper, Glock, and keys jingling from my belt.

Just had a Viper installed by Bozo's who did not tell me anything about how they set it up! After reading some of your related posts, I just need to make sure that I have a different installer for my camera systems now :-O 

Keep up the good work to help protect the masses here. After living in Mid-Gulf, FL and Long Beach, CA, Safety has a whole new meaning!