Proposed Solar Setup

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XERTYX

Reaction score
Ok so given that we now have an excellent source of high wattage used panels from santan I have an idea for what I want to build. As much power as I can get for the lowest initial investment while still maintaining a moderate level of quality of components. 

My plan:

Santan currently has used "blemished" 245 watt panels for $45. My local walmart has 29DC 12v lead acid batteries rated at 125AH for around $86. Searching around Amazon for a charge controller that will tolerate the higher input voltage of wiring the panels in series I found one for $90 although there may be cheaper options. And again on amazon I found a 1000/2000 watt pure sine wave inverter for $150.

Of course I'd need fusing and appropriate gauge wire for the install but this is the meat and potatoes of the whole proposal. 

2 245W panels for a total of 490W

4 125AH marine deep cycle batteries in parallel (250AH without going below the 50% discharge)

Charge controller and inverter

I'd possibly opt for 6 of the batteries to lessen the puekert effect with high loads as I do intend to infrequently use a 700 watt microwave oven. 

Without taking into account the cabling etc that means I could have almost a half a kilowatt on the roof for $674?! ($846 with 6 batteries) 

Why isnt everyone doing this? In a perfect world under ideal conditions I'd be set for life with that much power.

Anything I've failed to mention?

i was gonna order but they wanted $480 for shipping alone! wtf

brahmon said:
i was gonna order but they wanted $480 for shipping alone!   wtf

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! I havent asked them for a quote yet as this is going to be a very lean month so no large purchases til June. Was that on one panel? Or a large number of them?

order was only for 2 sunpower 210w panels. $480 to ship 2 panels is ridiculous.

ive bought 6 100w panels off amazon with FREE shipping. lol

that's probably shipped by truck because they are over size for UPS, Fed-EX, and USPS. the trick to shipping by truck is to order more panels, then the shipping per panel comes way down. a pallet full of panels ships for about the same as 2 panels.

of course picking them up in person is the way to go.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
that's probably shipped by truck because they are over size for UPS,  Fed-EX,  and USPS.  the trick to shipping by truck is to order more panels,  then the shipping per panel comes way down.  a pallet full of panels ships for about the same as 2 panels.

of course picking them up in person is the way to go.

highdesertranger

This is ideally what I would do but alas north georgia isnt a mere stones throw from Gilbert Az. I didnt find the distributor on craigslist I had found before but I did find a few MODERATELY priced sellers. Mostly one pallet minimums for the Atlanta metro area. If I ever do decide to buy land in AZ though I'll for sure motor on over to Santans warehouse and grab all I can carry. I might find decent prices on used panels in south Ga or Fl. Not a lot of call for them in the mountains of NE Ga.

Edit: I did wonder why Bob asked for their telephone number before their web address. I didnt figure they were on par with amazon et al as far as shipping rates. But $480 even per pallet seems EXTREME.

Well I did actually request a quote and I'll await their response. I doubt I'll get one today as I think Gilbert time is -2 hours from my time zone and its after 6. Their listed hours are until 4pm. We shall see.

highdesertranger said:
that's probably shipped by truck because they are over size for UPS,  Fed-EX,  and USPS.  

Those carriers all use trucks too!

Even air freight shipments use trucks at each end.

But they are probably shipped by LTL freight carrier.

I agree, $480 seems high for a couple of panels, unless there is also a high crating charge and lots of insurance, added per panel by the shipper.

XERTYX,

That seems extremely high.  In july 2016 I had 3 solar panels shipped from NAWS in Flagstaff AR to Gainesville GA by truck at a cost of $139.15.  One pallet of three by XPO shipping.

gapper2 said:
XERTYX,

That seems extremely high.  In july 2016 I had 3 solar panels shipped from NAWS in Flagstaff AR to Gainesville GA by truck at a cost of $139.15.  One pallet of three by XPO shipping.

That would be acceptable by my terms. I mean 2 245W polys at a similar price for 1 100W mono on amazon? Sure they're used. But (and I know this will come under fire as I've already renounced the notion that Bob is God in another thread) I doubt Bob would so highly recommend a company that is lacking in moral character as to say the output isnt affected by the cosmetic damage when really it is. These seem like good simple folk to me hashing out a living by selling auction won (likely) demolition grade old stock panels. And passing the savings on to the consumer. They arent Neiman Marcus people. They have to eat. So does the truck driver. I requested the most economical quote available. I reserve the right to make a judgment until all the figures are in. If they quote me $1500 then I'll gladly throw in the towel. Until then I'm curious to see what this newcomer (presumably) can do. I root for the underdog. What can I say? It's part of who I am. I'd love it if both we (the community) and they (santan) both prosper from this potential mutually beneficial venture.

XERTYX,

A little advice.  When I started first becoming  excited about this lifestyle I sometimes got in too much of a hurry.  I've made many mistakes (as seen in hindsight).  My first mistake was my battery purchase.  I went with the high dollar Odyssey AGM because I learned they were on sale.  Excellent batteries but require a well designed system to keep them happy.  Second, I was overwhelmed about the whole solar learning experience that I got frustrated and decided to buy a kit from NAWS (Northern Arizona Wind and Sun).  Nice kit 3-265 watt kyocera panels and a morningstar 60 amp Mppt controller and much of what is needed to build the kit.  I've learned much since 7/2016 and I'm still learning.  Well because of health problems and I'm just old and slow I'm finally getting my panels installed.   :D   I've learned that at least for me that no matter how well I think I have my system planned, unforseen annoyances just continue to pop up.  Such is life I guess.  Just one step after the next.

well if you are planning to come to next years RTR you will drive right by it. highdesertranger