Propane tank 20 vs 30 pounds and buddy heater...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krenov72

Reaction score
So I use a portable buddy for supplemental heat... I run it for a half hour or hour a few times a day when it gets below freezing... I'm rv but stationary... limited power but run an oil filled heater that is pretty good.. just needs a bit of help... I was using the 1lb bottles, but up here in Canada they are $6 a pop.. so I got a hose .. I have a 20lb tank and a 30 lb tank.. I use them for my BBQ, and it says to only use #20, but I used a 30 for the last 2 months, and I don't think it's an issue. I would like to also use it on the buddy heater .. I don't think it will be an issue.. but if anyone has any insights to safety concerns, I would be grateful to hear them . Thanks
Mike

There is no difference.  The propane is the same, the pressure is the same.  The obvious, only use right side up, etc, all apply equally to both.  

The only difference is that you can exchange an empty 20 pounder for an almost full one for $15 at lots of places.

Cost me $7.50 last time by the gallon/pound, the exchange outfits are ripoffs.

I believe if you wanted to run off a much bigger tank say 100# a variable regulator to step down the pressure would be a good idea.

But that's barely applicable to a mobile context.

Yes. Personally I felt there was no difference, and had no problem using a 30... I was just wondering if there was something I may be unaware of . Thanks.

Nope, no difference whether you're using the 20 lb or the 30 lb except for the weight of a tank when it's full and how long a tank lasts before you have to get it filled again!

Just make sure that you're using a filter on the heater.

For those of us in Canada, an exchange tank is like $35. or more and propane is selling at upwards of 79.9 cents per LITRE..that's $3.20 a gallon... :rolleyes: 
The other stupidity that I've found is that several of the fill places are now charging a standard price for filling a 20 lb tank no matter how much propane it takes to fill it rather than by the amount put in. Talk about  highway robbery.. :dodgy:

Almost There said:
The other stupidity that I've found is that several of the fill places are now charging a standard price for filling a 20 lb tank no matter how much propane it takes to fill it rather than by the amount put in. Talk about  highway robbery..

That's pretty standard procedure here in the US too.

The logic for the vendor is that this keeps most people from 'topping up' the small tanks, in other words, the guy comes out, puts in 1 or 2 gallons, and all that time and effort for just a few dollars, and really, only a very small profit per gallon. 

On the other hand, many of these same vendors will re-certify a portable tank, that's in good condition, for free.

I completely avoid the fixed priced places unless there's no per-gallon/pound in town. Topping up before heading out to the boonies is exactly why.

If not listed as "propane dealers", feed and hardware stores, equipment rental, lumberyards, tractor places always know where the good ones are, a few calls if you don't see one on the way into town's all it takes.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT SIZE TANKS ARE ON MY 2004 ALINER.  THEY SEEM TO HAVE BEEN PAINTED WITH A FLAT OR CHALKY TEXTURE PAINT.  THERE ARE LETTERS AND #s THAT I CAN'T READ ON THEM.

TWO  PLACES I SPOKE WITH HAVE THE FLAT RATE THAT DEPENDS ON THE SIZE OF THE TANK AND NOT HOW EMPTY IT IS WHEN YOU GO TO HAVE IT FILLED. 

AT TRACTOR SUPPLY PROPANE IS NOW $2.99 PER GAL OR POUND OR WHATEVER THE MEASUREMENT IS.  THEY WILL INSPECT YOUR TANKS BEFORE FILLING THEM AND I WAS TOLD THAT THEY WILL NOT FILL A TANK OVER 10YS OLD.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT SIZE THE BLUE RHINO PREFILLED TANKS ARE.  THEY LOOK THE SAME SIZE  AS MINE.   AT LOWES THEY ARE ABOUT $20 EXCHANGE, THAT INCLUDES THE GAS.   HAS ANYONE DONE THE SWAP WITH BLUE RHINO?

JEWELLANN

The Blue Rhino are 20 pound tanks. If your tank is too old just get a Blue Rhino exchange. The refill of your tank at Ace Hardware is likely less expensive. Sometimes the Blue Rhino is more convenient.

AT TRACTOR SUPPLY PROPANE IS NOW $2.99 PER GAL OR POUND OR WHATEVER THE MEASUREMENT IS.

Gallons, about 4#. That's where to go.

THEY WILL INSPECT YOUR TANKS BEFORE FILLING THEM AND I WAS TOLD THAT THEY WILL NOT FILL A TANK OVER 10YS OLD.

Portable DOT tanks need recertification as per stamped date. Fixed ASME ones don't, give it a try.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT SIZE THE BLUE RHINO PREFILLED TANKS ARE.

20#, 5 gallons

AT LOWES THEY ARE ABOUT $20 EXCHANGE, THAT INCLUDES THE GAS.   HAS ANYONE DONE THE SWAP WITH BLUE RHINO?

Yes, ripoff unless you're swapping an expired tank for a new one.

They short you by a gallon, so $5/gal instead of $3, and an even bigger difference if your tank isn't completely empty.

Trebor English said:
The Blue Rhino are 20 pound tanks.  If your tank is too old just get a Blue Rhino exchange.  The refill of your tank at Ace Hardware is likely less expensive.  Sometimes the Blue Rhino is more convenient.
***************************************************************************************************************

Thanks,  I Hadn't  Thought Of Ace     

Jewellann

John61CT said:
Gallons, about 4#. That's where to go

Portable DOT tanks need recertification as per stamped date. Fixed ASME ones don't, give it a try.

20#, 5 gallons

Yes, ripoff unless you're swapping an expirded tank for a new one.

They short you by a gallon, so $5/gal instead of $3, and an even bigger difference if your tank isn't completely empty
**************************************************************************************************************

Thanks,

I have loaned my tanks to a family member for now.  They are in a rented unit and paid a "flat rate" for a fill 2mos ago and didn't know if the tank was completely empty or not. I think theirs is a 30lb tank.

Since I don't know the age of my tanks or how much is in them after theirs ran out we took mine over there.  I'll have mine checked at Tractor Supply when they are empty,  I'll probably do a Blue Rhino swap the first time as mine aren't as nice looking and then I'll do by the gallon whenever possible after that.

Can I spray paint my tanks?  Maybe with rustoleum?  Would the color matter?

Jewellann

Yes, but not near any fittings.

There is a metallic aluminum color.

New one won't need it.

Can I spray paint my tanks?  Maybe with rustoleum?  Would the color matter?

They need to be white so they don't get hot in the sun.