Propane fridge gas consumption

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoney

Reaction score
Hello all,

I purchased a 3 way fridge for my campervan build. it says it has a nominal gas consumption of 25g/hr. assuming this to mean grams, I calculated how long it should run off my 11lb propane tank that holds approx. 2.8 gallons of propane. there is approx. 3785 grams in a gallon, so here's what I found.

3785 grams X 2.8 gal. = 10598 grams/25 grams per hour = 424 hours/24 hours per day = 17.6 days

Is math off? r have i gotten something wrong or misunderstood something?

Key word "nominal" In summer it will use more. I tried a 3way refrigerator and while I could go a couple of weeks in the best case that was rare, after that time I would have to go for propane and I had a 5 gallon propane bottle. When it got hot out it also struggled to keep food safe. Mind you mine was an older unit without a smart board. For me it was just more wasted money because I was trying not to spend the money on a 12v. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation to the outside. Highdesertranger

Assuming that your math is for how many grams of propane there are in a gallon then it seems right. The problem is that gallons is a volume measurement and gram is a measure of weight.

So a gallon of water would have a different weight than a gallon of helium for example. A gallon of mercury would be hella heavy.

I had a customer when I worked as a sporting goods clerk who told me once that he had a propane fridge at his cabin in Montana and he forgot to turn off the propane for his fridge (first time I heard of propane fridges) and he came back 6mo later and it was still running.

Since a 20# propane tank can run a propane fridge about a month, more or less, that sounds about right. But there are a LOT of variables. 

Ambient temps, summer or winter conditions, freezer or fridge mode, number of times you are opening the door, trying to freeze water for ice cubes, putting in a case of room-temp beer every week...etc etc. etc.

Then there is the ventilation as mentioned above...some units have better airflow which will help a lot, especially a small 12v fan to move air thru the cooling unit on the back side that faces the vents.

You will find a 20# tank is a better choice if you have room for one.

I have a propane fridge and it sips propane. Key is ventilation. You need an air inlet at the bottom and a place for the heat to escape at the top. Keeping the airway by the fins as close to the fins as possible helps with the airflow to make the air go through the fins, not pass them by. If not easily achievable, a small computer fan blowing on the fins in the back will help. Look at RV's and how they manage the airflow and the sizes/locations of the vents.

I have a 12 gallon (holds 10 gallon) propane tank. I use propane for the fridge, cooking, water heater (showers) and the furnace. In Quartzsite during the winter, my tank lasts more than a month and I run the furnace at night. In the summer, a tank will last 2-1/2 to 3 months.

A propane fridges flame is about the size of a pilot light, a very small flame.

Edit to add: Keeping the fridge level while parked is best and being level I don't have to chase the eggs around the pan while cooking and I sleep level.