Propane explosion?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrayWhale

Reaction score
They say not to keep the propane bottles or big cans in the car when it's hot. Windows closed and parking  in the sunlight, it can get up to 110-120 degrees in the summer around here. I've been keeping the propane in the van for years, but how risky is this? Thanks.

20 pound propane tank relief valves are supposed to vent at 265 psi which is way below the tank design burst pressure of 960 psi.  At 130 degrees F the vapor pressure of propane is 257 psi.  If the tank is 80% or less filled with liquid it should not vent at less than 130 F.

If the tank valve is open and a regulator is attached the regulator may vent if its output pressure rises due to temperature rise.  If the tank valve is off and the regulator outlet pressure is released that should not be a hazard.

If your van is getting to 120 degrees I would recommend plastic rain guards and leave the windows open an inch.  I have a Maxx fan that has a thermostat.  Ice chests, fridges, fresh fruit and lots of other things are problems before propane.

It's the venting causes the problem, if enough to fill a tightly enclosed space, the space blows not the bottle.

Protocol is a box sealed wrt the interior, vented to outside via the bottom, no fan required, easy enough to do.

But plenty play loosey goosey with even riskier stuff, long as it's just you I say do what you like. Innocents as regular passengers is another story IMO

Trebor English said:
If your van is getting to 120 degrees I would recommend plastic rain guards and leave the windows open an inch.  I have a Maxx fan that has a thermostat.  Ice chests, fridges, fresh fruit and lots of other things are problems before propane.

Thanks. I do have rain guards and leaving the 2 front windows down an inch. I also leave the little conversion van windows with the screen open too.

It might not be 120 degrees, maybe like 112-115. I can't remember exactly.

But this makes good sense. So it's safer to unscrew the stoves when not in use to allow the gaskets of the propane canisters to do their job right?

If there was a pool of propane that leaked, how would I evacuate it safely?

If the bottle vents while laying on it's side, bad news. You can never have a pool of liquid propane. It evaporates into a gaseous state and a spark will be your end.

Weight said:
1. If the bottle vents while laying on it's side, bad news. 2. You can never have a pool of liquid propane. It evaporates into a gaseous state and a spark will be your end.

1. bottles should ONLY be used, carried and stored in the position(s) they are designed for. For ALL tanks designed for portable consumer use, that means upright at ALL times while in an enclosed area.

If the over-pressure relief valve intake / dip tube is submerged in liquid when it opens, HUGE volumes of expanding gas will result and catastrophe is VERY likely.

Forklift tanks are horizontal, the holder bracket keyed to a specific orientation for just that reason.

Other industrial designs can be stored either way, but in use are specified only one way or the other.

But unless a qualified gas tech signs off on the setup, messing around departing from mainstream standards is unsafe and likely illegal, and forget insurance covering anything.

2. Propane as a gas is heavier than air, tanks inside the living space should (IMO must) be carried in a box sealed up wrt that space.

If the mandatory bottom vent opening to outside gets blocked, the gas does indeed quickly pools from the bottom up.

If no proper box, a tight living space will have that pool fill from the floor up.

People can and do "drown" from the oxygen being floated up above their head while sleeping even if no ignition.

I take many crazy risks in many areas of my life, but propane is not one of them.

John61CTThanks said:
2. Propane as a gas is heavier than air, tanks inside the living space should (IMO must) be carried in a box sealed up wrt         that space.                                                                                               
 Does this  "up wrt" mean upright?  I'm just asking because I often see letters that I don't know what they mean.
Thanks for the information
Jewellann

sorry, "sealed up with regard to that space" but vented downward to the outside.