Prius: reverse front passenger seat

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awpz0r

Reaction score
This is only my second post, seemed appropriate to ask here. Anyone know of a way to do this? If not, does anyone have any recommendations on a comfy chair that would fit facing backwards not bolted down? 2006 gen2 prius.

Thanks!

I have a 2007 prius and the passenger bolts are at different levels. Thus making reversing the seat not easily possible. I’m sure with ingenuity it would be possible, but would not be safe in the event of a crash. I’m not aware of other non car seats that would work, this made be something you would have to research.

I personally have been thinking about removing the front passenger seat and building a desk/storage unit there. I envision using the back seat as the computer desk. My bed lies on that side, so I would have to fold my bed to the left side of the Prius in order for this to work.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unbolt your passenger seat
In its place bolt down a wooden board
Bolt down passenger seat to the wooden board.

You may have to do some tinkering and add spacers to make it level. But that’s how I would do it.

In my old '77 Dodge van, the seat sat way to low. I just added washes stacked to the correct thickness and put grade 8 bolts back in place.

I don't know if your bolt pattern would be the same when reversed but using washers and new long enough grade 8 bolts should work to build up the gaps left when reversing.

Yeah, that's how I would do it, take like a square 3/4" piece of plywood for drill holes where the bolts go into the floor of the prius, then mark holes for the seat holes and get some heavy bolts, washers and should be good for crash as well. Just make sure you get the heavy / strong bolts and large washers and lock washers as well. If you knew someone with a welder you could possible do the same thing with some thick sheet metal.

If you did the wood type, you could possibly make the seat swivel, that would be cool. :) Maybe look into just removing the back of the front seat... could use it for just a footstool or something.