Pricing a conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lifemonkey

Reaction score
Hey all - 
I have just been looking into all this in the last few days and have been both disappointed and excited about what's available and potential. 

I found this van conversion.. a '97 Ford E150 that is really quite clean and low miles @ 134k. They are asking $12,500 for it. It is a dealer selling. I don't get how they can sell so high, but people are buying them.

It is a 4x2 with a "leveling kit" and A/T tires which is what I would like to be able to get offroad. The inside has a seat that folds into a bed, plus all kinds of compartments for stuff. It has a sink and a microwave and mini fridge. The electrical is drawing from the car battery at the moment, which I could change since all the wiring is already in place. 

I don't think I'd be able to put solar panel on top of this.  :\

I only have two more months at my residence, then I will be residence free. I have zero knowledge or skill or tools or... money (currently living on retirement money - but I'm not retired so pay penalties), on how to do all the fancy build out's people are doing, so this seems sort of a happy medium to me. 

How do you do all this work without a place to work on it? 

And is this one too much money? 

Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

Attachments

• 6a388fe0e2f646dc9f690a78b6e814d0.jpg
    6a388fe0e2f646dc9f690a78b6e814d0.jpg
    44.2 KB
Sounds like a regular plain ol high top conversion van plus wheels/tires plus basic amenities with only the alternator for power. Not worth the money.
Do a little research on here and you can do MUCH better (and more appropriate for vandwelling) for less money invested.
Heck, for that price tag you could buy my already built van, add whatever high top you want, and still have thousands in the bank.

If it's a Sportsmobile conversion, that price would be a bargain - those things start out high and hold their value.
If it's a DIY conversion, then it's probably overpriced unless the craftsmanship and amenities are outstanding.

mayble said:
If it's a Sportsmobile conversion, that price would be a bargain - those things start out high and hold their value.
If it's a DIY conversion, then it's probably overpriced unless the craftsmanship and amenities are outstanding.

It isn't a Sportsmobile.. I agree it would be a bargain if it were.. 
It isn't DIY either.. it is the original conversion setup that came with the vehicle when originally purchased (no idea who did the conversion) and is extremely well maintained and clean. As far as craftsmanship... it's stock, nothing special and there is normal wear and tear on the wood that could be refinished. 

I would redo some stuff over time, but initially all I would have to worry about would be the electrical and insulation/heating/cooling..

I checked almost ever dealer where I live and came to the conclusion on the used models that the prices are overpriced. I bit the bullet and it took a few months but I bought a van from a little old lady who still had the receipts from Sears where she had all the work down. I wanted to be free and not make monthly payments for the next 3 or 4 years. I have to do mechanical work on it but that's OK with me. Good luck on your search!

Pricing a DIY conversion is even more difficult. I have nearly every receipt, and all major ones for our maxed out chevy awd.
The ego has to be properly balanced with reality. Time will tell when we put our rig up for sale a few months from now weather i'm on market-target with pricing or inhaling to much second hand smoke from those smokin' the wacky-weed in nearby camps.