Prefab camper kits $4700

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I look at the VW Westfalias; they’re compact, you can drive them around day-to-day, and you can go camping over the weekend, but they break down all the time. When somebody’s looking to buy a camper van, it’s either super expensive or super unreliable.”

Yet he sees nothing wrong with his conversion of a....automobile.....which can break down.....

$4700? Not in my lifetime....Oh and 2015/2016 Dodge Ram ProMaster City not included in price, that's another $17K....

Cammalu said:
i like the way he made the wall coverings. 

The whole thing installs in 25 minutes. 

I think the only way to see it is to watch the little video

http://www.outsideonline.com/210117...0&spJobID=861437714&spReportId=ODYxNDM3NzE0S0

I'm really enamored with these kits. I think they are great for people who may not have skills, know-how, patience, tools or a place to do a DIY conversion. I'm currently trying to decide what type of vehicle to get, and if I go the Promaster City route, I would definitely consider getting the walls and floor pieces of this kit. I've conversed with the owner via email, he's a really nice guy and very helpful.

Umm, not to put a downer on this but there was a review of the Sprinter vs the Transit (fullsize) and the promaster. They really, really disliked the Promaster. Actually, they nicknamed it the "Sadness master". I think it would best to advise some more research if going Dodge...

I think the value could be a lot better. As in, about half the cost would seem like a lot of profit margin. I don't see a $1,000 in materials being used.

As unreliable as the westys are I would choose one over the Promaster.

Well it looks a lot cleaner than a cot, some totes and a folding table I guess. I wonder if the next video has the fridge, toilet, stove.....

Auto360 said:
Umm, not to put a downer on this but there was a review of the Sprinter vs the Transit (fullsize) and the promaster. They really, really disliked the Promaster. Actually, they nicknamed it the "Sadness master". I think it would best to advise some more research if going Dodge...

The Wayfarer camper kit does not go in the Promaster, it's designed for the Promaster City--check out the reviews on that van--beats out the NV 200 and the Transit Connect. I, too, am leaning toward this kit. Ian, the company's owner is a great guy--he has integrity, and he is thorough. I've been chatting with him for months. Guess I need to buy the van at some point :)

drysailor said:
Really interesting. Wonder if they'll expand this to other vans?
The company's owner said he's considering it--he wants to get a feel for what other vans people may be interested in (having this kit for). << Weird sentence construction. Need coffee :)

I agree with some of the other people here, but offer a suggestion. A good upholstery shop could make all of the panels much cheaper, then any respectable carpenter could build the rest. I could see about $1000 in materials and at the high end, another $1000 for the installs.
I'm sure "Ian" is a nice guy, he should be, getting nearly 5 grand for a product not worth half that much.

Eh!
What happens when you hit a bone jarring pot hole at speed and all of those magnets let go?

I agree, for $5000 grand, I was expecting much more!

Dave