Pop Up Truck Camper Build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyfromafar

Reaction score
Haven't started this project yet - but have decided I'm pretty well done traveling with a trailer - there are just too many roads & tight spots that I've found myself in a bind. So am morphing towards the pickup truck - flatbed, with a popup camper style rig. Am exploring the idea of building my own out of composite sandwich panels such as Plascore or Nida-Core, using carbon fiber to weld the joints together in a monocoque (frameless) camper.

Anyone with experience working with this sort of materiel?

I can't remember where, but I replied to someone's post about using ballistic nylon, stretched over a wooden frame, that is then impregnated with polyurethane. Sea kayaks have been made using this method, which is lightweight, VERY resistant to punctures, and waterproof. What's really nice is that the resulting 'skin' is nice 'n smooth, requiring nothing in the way of 'finishing'. With foam insulation between the stringers and an inner skin of either the same, or whatever you wish, it would make for a light and rigid structure that has a good R-value. ..Willy. 

That's called 'vacuum infusion' - a technique where layers of carbon fiber are laid next to a mold then they 'bag' it with plastic & in a vacuum process they infuse it with resin. That process is a possibility - but for now I'm just staying with a more conventional way of building a camper using fiberglass & honeycomb panels. This way you cut the panels much like you'd cut plywood - the panels are 60% lighter than plywood but as strong or even stronger . They're using them for boats &j jets - it otta work for me!

Uhmm.. not what I was talking about. No vacuum, just stretched nylon and the polyurethane applied with a roller.   ..Willy.

Maybe if I can make a camper as fast as these guys make kayaks - I'd be in it in a day or two...

You're welcome. There was a specific video I was looking for, but it's late and I'm going zombie, so got lazy and posted the first vid that looked like it gave a decent example of what I'm talking about. There's a company that sells the whole 'kit', but can't, offhand, remember much about it save that it wasn't pricey at all. Check out:   http://www.tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=55  There are some good ideas there, but I'm not too enamored with canvas. ..Wily.  

I've seen that forum before - will look closer.

Thought if I built a skin framed camper like a kayak ... I could call it a 'kayamper'

Thanks again

&nbsp;Whatever those guys are on.. I want some. I move so damned slow these days it ain't funny. Those sea kayaks would be rather more complicated to build than a camper, given all those compound curves and such. Curved ribs could be made for a camper roof by making a form and using thin strips of wood which are then laminated together with glue (could also steam wood, but that would probably be a bit difficult/time consuming). <br>&nbsp;Laminated ribs would be a bit heavier, due to the glue, but would be very resistant to deformation and, due to the differing wood grain of the layers, less apt to split.. like plywood, but without the perpendicular grain. ..Willy.

Hi Guyfromafar,<br><br>I&nbsp;saw this video today, interesting concept. <br><br><a href="" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"></a><br><br>Good luck with your build.<br><br>Nicole

Willy, don't worry about moving slow - just take it easy! My motto is 'nothing happens before coffee, and 'pert near nothing happens AFTER coffee' !! Interesting concept - this nylon skin stretched on frame. I've also seen this 'stitch & glue' method ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stitch_and_glue ...

Hello Nicole & thanks for the video - amazing pop up design. I want to build one that raises straight up like a tent trailer - even over the cab of the pickup - like the photo. The overhead portion would have sides that hinge down when it's up and fold down when the camper is folded down.

&nbsp;I've seen the plywood stitch 'n glue, but I think it would be considerably heavier than the ballistic nylon and, given that a camper shell would have, as I envision it, both foam insulation and inside paneling, the structural rigidity it confers would be unnecessary. ..Willy.

Yes plywood is too heavy - I'm intending to use 25mm & 30mm Nida-Core or Plascore, much lighter, bonded at the seams then laminated on the inside with fiberglass. Will be very light & strong. Also planning to use some aluminum reinforcement especially on the bed right above the pickup cab.

Latest posts