Poll: Which fridge...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which fridge do you have...

• Total voters

galladanb

Reaction score
I'm seeking opinions on the various fridges, please.

I'm interested in van dwellers in particular, only!

What style...
Chest type?
Upright?

Would you buy this make and model again?

Dometic cf 018, chest type. Its ok, i think id like a little quiter model with temp guage on it if money were no object. i like the smaller size of this one though than others ive seen. Price is the lowest too for compressor fridge

^ Agreed, I paid about $120 for my Dometic CF018, then I upgraded it to a 30a powerpole connector used it in my TC. I think I will put it in my Honda too if my batteries fit somewhere.

When I bought mine I couldn't make up my mind between Dometic or the Engel , the
Engel costs much more and has a better reputation , the Dometic had good reviews but
haven't  much of a track record , I usually won't hesitate from paying more for better 
quality but I took a chance on the Dometic because it was so much cheaper.
I voted for Dometic because my cf35 is still going strong for the cheaper price.
Mines got a temp guage and is quiet and is easy on my house battery.

Dometic CF50, very quiet, performs great, uses very little battery power. I haven't shut it off in 6 months and keep it set at 35

A pair of 65 Qt Whynter compressor fridges - 1 is set at 40 for refrigerator temp and 1 at o F for a deep freezer.

I've had both for a year now and am very pleased with them.

The one set at fridge temp is very easy on the batteries. Keeping the other one at 0F is a bit more of an electrical challenge - the power usage between the two is enormous but then keeping something at 0F as opposed to 40 F is, of course, going to be different power wise.

Both are top loading. I was used to chest type freezer so no adjustment needed there. Utilizing the top loading fridge is no different than using a cooler except I don't have to allow room for the ice block nor drain it. It is different than using an upright but I can actually cram more in the top loading than you ever could get in an upright probably 3 times it's size. Properly packed there is very little waste space!!

And yes, I'd definitely buy this make again.

I vote chest style. I have 2 Engel MR040's. yes I would buy one again, in fact I plan on it. highdesertranger

I use a front loading Vitrifrigo c51is at about 50 litres/ 1.8 cubic foot capacity.

It has the danfoss compressor which I have found to generate 1/3 the noise of my former Norcold de0040, a 1.7 foot front loader that used a Sawafuji 'swing' compressor.

In 2007 I got the Norcold, it lasted until 2012. Its failure was caused by low refrigerant and this rate of refrigerant loss was likely exacerbated by my attempts to isolate the compressor from fridge and fridge from cabinet, as its noise and vibration were irritating. Much effort was expended floating the fridge within the cabinet, and as annoying as the noise was, having a fridge over a cooler was freaking awesome.

What I liked a lot was the front loading nature ergonomics. I hated to have to remove stuff from atop a cooler, slide it to me lift the lid, shine a light or blindly fumble around. After relocation the hinge to other side of fridge, Getting foodstuffs in and out was so much easier and took a fraction of the time.

The VF makes about 1/3 the noise of the Norcold, and its design allowed me to better ventilate the condenser, and add slightly more insulation. The danfoss compressor controller allows one to adjust compressor speed, and I wound up removing a resistor to slow the rpms from 2500 to 2000, and this reduced the amp draw while slightly increasing the duty cycle.

I do not really use the freezer portion. I tapped the 12v for the internal LED light and power a small internal fan that runs 24/7, and keeps the internal box temperatures within 3 degrees of each other, where without it temps varies as much as 15 degrees according to my IR temperature gun.

I also removed the original condenser fan, and replaced it with a better 120MM fan and placed it to push coolest possible ambient air through the condenser once, which greatly increased efficiency. The fan is quieter and uses 40% the electricity of the original fan for the Win win.

I ran my VF next to a friend's chest style 50QT ARB with insulative cover side by side and tried to open the lids the same amount of time, regularity with wattmeters on both cables measuring AH and Watt hours. My Vf used about 10 to 15% less electricity.

I know the chest style fridges are touted as inherently more efficient as the 'cold air does not spill out' with the door opened. I think the cold air spilling out is BS, as the air itself has so little thermal mass, and the reason that they are inherently more efficient is there is no door seal on the bottom of the fridge compromising the insulative qualities of the box.

It is the door and the door seal which where the biggest room for improvement lies on my VF. The door seal closes on the metal skin of the fridge exterior, and this metal is exposed to interior and exterior temperatures, and transfers heat inside the box. My biggest complaint with this fridge design.

I have also damaged the door seal when cleaning it with a paper towell on my finger tip. It still passes the dollar bill test, but the insulative propertes have been damaged.

I would not recommend choosing a chest style over a front loader just because they are touted as more efficient. My test with the 50QT ARB in my van next to my installed improved front loading 51QT VFc51is proved otherwise, and the ergonomics of a front loader, at least in my rig, is vastly superior to what I would have to do to get food in and out of a chest style.

Another brand of fridge in the "other" category is Truckfridge. They sell both chest style and front loader fridges and also use a Danfoss/Secop compressor and are more budget friently than many 12v compressor fridges.

http://www.westyventures.com/parts.html#cart_restore

I have an Engel MT45 and a Waeco CF-50, both chest style. Both my present CF-50 and the one I had before had the secondary electronics board bite the biscuit. The first I replaced with a 12v digital thermostat and the second with a mechanical (freezer) one. ..Willy.

I have an Engel MT35 that I use as a freezer, have had it for around 18 months and I am very happy with it!

Well, Goodness! Thx all for the insights!

Looking like the chest type, front loading Vitrifrigo c51 in particular may win out!

Keep the answers coming PLEASE!!!!

I voted other for trucker fridge but i didn't know about the $300 dometic.

I've noticed that the guys who really understand the technical details seem to go for the Vitrifrigo. I'll buy one (someday, they are pretty expensive) because they make a zillion sizes and configurations, and they have one that fits very nicely in my cabinet.

ahh_me2 said:
I have an Engel MT35 that I use as a freezer, have had it for around 18 months and I am very happy with it!

What do you use for refrigeration? Do you have another unit? A cooler? What is your daily maintenance like?

Zizzer_Zazzer_Zuz said:
What do you use for refrigeration? Do you have another unit? A cooler? What is your daily maintenance like?

I have a 4.4 cu/ft dorm type fridge that I use as I am mostly hooked up to shore power for now.
I haven't quite finished my build yet, and so am undecided about using an inverter with the existing fridge or buying another Engel for
use as a fridge.

The math and tests I had done in the past indicated that my Engel in fridge mode would consume around 20 AH daily and
an inverter with my 4.4 cu/ft unit would consume about 30 AH daily.

So basically buying an approx $250 inverter (600w pure sine in Canada) and consuming an extra 10 AH per day or
spend another $1300 on a larger Engel and saving that 10 AH daily is what I have yet to decide to do.

SternWake said:
Contradiction alert!

The Vitrifrigoc51 is a front loader, not a chest style.

Oops, sorry, my bad! I knew that... Lol! Sorry!

I've heard that some folks use the freezer type, and just set out in the morning what they want to have for supper. Makes sense, but may not be a good practice for all...

Oops. I'm not a vandweller yet. Didn't see your post until I'd voted. I've had my 45 qt Whynter toploading frig for over a year though, using 110 and occasional 12v and it's been great. Would buy again.