Plywood alternative?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
I was hoping to copy BigT's bed but I've hit a snag--plywood is too heavy for me. Even if I got the bed built, I wouldn't be able to remove it as needed. And considering it's been necessary 3 times already in less than a year, this is something I absolutely must factor into my build.

The hardware is fine, since even though it's heavy it's small and the legs can be removed and carried separately. I can do bulky and lightweight, or small and heavy, but not bulky and heavy. The current folding massage table, smallest size they come in, is about at my limit (can't get the weight anytime soon, sorry). I would hope to reduce it, or at the very least need to keep that about the upper limit.

Are there any suggested alternatives to plywood for this project? My research yields a variety of possibilities, but they all seem lie they would require more of a frame beneath to support the platform. :-/

Perhaps using a cot style bed with an aluminum tube frame and fabric surface rather than plywood?  As you are physically small it should work well.  Light but strong and easy to move in or out.

LeeRevell said:
Perhaps using a cot style bed with an aluminum tube frame and fabric surface rather than plywood?  As you are physically small it should work well.  Light but strong and easy to move in or out.

A few months ago I spent 2 weeks straight researching cots all day, every day. Concluded I'd never find one the right size for my van. I have an old military cot I put in there once for one night, bit it was out of the question, both from length and from having pieces sticking out of the corners that was directly in my walkway between front and back and caused several injuries. Most other military style cots I've seen have similar.

if you know of any good size cots please definitely pass them along! I'm looking in the ballpark of 30"x70". Another major factor in researching them is I really need the space underneath for storage. Many recent cot designs aren't conducive to that.

It's taken me many months to conclude that I need to build something rather than pay $100+ for something that will only work until my setup changes again. My current bed is the 6th vandwelling bed I've set up, slept in, and used since beginning my adventures, and it's wearying to think I might pay for another big ticket item that isn't a permanent solution. If I build it myself, at least I can get the size exactly right, and if/when my setup changes again then I'll likely be able to either adjust it or more easily build another one. Otherwise I just keep going back to square one and after a couple years and through 4 different vehicles (I'm counting my dad's SUV in there) it's getting old. :(

Bitty said:
A few months ago I spent 2 weeks straight researching cots all day, every day. Concluded I'd never find one the right size for my van. I have an old military cot I put in there once for one night, bit it was out of the question, both from length and from having pieces sticking out of the corners that was directly in my walkway between front and back and caused several injuries. Most other military style cots I've seen have similar.

if you know of any good size cots please definitely pass them along! I'm looking in the ballpark of 30"x70". Another major factor in researching them is I really need the space underneath for storage. Many recent cot designs aren't conducive to that.

It's taken me many months to conclude that I need to build something rather than pay $100+ for something that will only work until my setup changes again. My current bed is the 6th vandwelling bed I've set up, slept in, and used since beginning my adventures, and it's wearying to think I might pay for another big ticket item that isn't a permanent solution. If I build it myself, at least I can get the size exactly right, and if/when my setup changes again then I'll likely be able to either adjust it or more easily build another one. Otherwise I just keep going back to square one and after a couple years and through 4 different vehicles (I'm counting my dad's SUV in there) it's getting old. :(
HI.. just lost a long reply to your prob. & my right hand is spazing  [fubar] out on me today....c bob $40 BED BUILD ON egmatic NOMADIC u tube.....where they cut platform in half.......maybe a platfoRm of 1x4's slats w/1/4 plywood on top.....mid support underneath........bolts and nuts to secure 1x4's/plywood so could dis-assemble EZ?  hope helps.....TJB

Have you thought about cutting that 30 x 70 inch piece of plywood in half?  Could you manage 30 x 35 inches?  

Put 4 legs under each half and connect the two halves together with some kind of quick disconnect.  I think a "screen Door" hinge might work well as the pin in the hinge comes out fairly easily to allow the two pieces to be separated.  I used these on a camp cook box to remove the door on it and then connect to another 1/2 hinge on the top side to make a table on the side of the box.  I don't know if your floor is flat or not.  If it is not flat, face the hinge the way that allows all 8 feet to contact the floor.

I use shelving liner (the kind that is rubbery and has holes in it) to hold a lot of things in place inside the van.  Staple some on the plywood and then put your "mattress" on top of it.  

Just trying to think of a solution for you.... :)

Bitty said:
I was hoping to copy BigT's bed but I've hit a snag--plywood is too heavy for me. Even if I got the bed built, I wouldn't be able to remove it as needed. And considering it's been necessary 3 times already in less than a year, this is something I absolutely must factor into my build.

The hardware is fine, since even though it's heavy it's small and the legs can be removed and carried separately. I can do bulky and lightweight, or small and heavy, but not bulky and heavy. The current folding massage table, smallest size they come in, is about at my limit (can't get the weight anytime soon, sorry). I would hope to reduce it, or at the very least need to keep that about the upper limit.

Are there any suggested alternatives to plywood for this project? My research yields a variety of possibilities, but they all seem lie they would require more of a frame beneath to support the platform. :-/

A hollow core flat door can be shortened and is much lighter than solid plywood. 

30 in. x 80 in. Interior Door Slab  $30.72 /each  Home Depot

Bitty,

I've been researching making a bed frame out of pvc pipes.  I'm thinking of doing that and making slats and frame and then use a foam mattress on top.   Maybe that will work for you??  

Gigi

VJG1977 said:
A hollow core flat door can be shortened and is much lighter than solid plywood. 

30 in. x 80 in. Interior Door Slab  $30.72 /each  Home Depot

It is also a lot thicker but might give a little extra bounce.  The skin on these doors is fiberboard.  You can look at the edge of the door to see how thin it is.  These were never meant to hold anything while they are flat.  They may be able to hold you, but I doubt it would hold both you and your BF if you get frisky :p  There is only wood in the perimeter and maybe through the middle where the latch goes which would be good mounting points for the legs.  Generally the sandwich part is held apart by cardboard on edge in a zigzag pattern (may or may not be there).  Cutting one that short will leave one end open and you would have to reinstall the wood piece in the end.

Foam board and poor mans fiber glass? There is a guy in another forum that makes small boats from this stuff.

John

make it modular 2 or 4 smaller sections instead or 1 large one. you would need a little more framing but if you use 1x2 it would keep the weight down. highdesertranger

These cots are pretty nice, comfy, and about the size you're looking for:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Comfortsmart-Folding-Camping-Cot/20594108

If I'm building a bed from scratch, my preferred method is to build the frame out of metal conduit, and then string it with rope to support whatever mattress you decide to use. This method should make you an extremely durable, yet lightweight bed that should last a lifetime. Using this method, it is pretty simple and easy to construct a lightweight bed of any length, width, and height to fit your space.

Any hardware type store, or Home Depot type store should have everything you need to make thee frame, then I use dollar store rope to string them.

With only slightly more difficulty, you could make it foldable as well.

Another option is to pick up a used Hollywood style bed frame such as this one:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/fuo/5462808169.html

Totally adjustable for width, and then you can string it with rope to support a foam mattress. You can add conduit or pipe to the legs, to make it higher for added storage underneath.

Off Grid 24/7 said:

If I'm building a bed from scratch, my preferred method is to build the frame out of metal conduit, and then string it with rope to support whatever mattress you decide to use.  This method should make you an extremely durable, yet lightweight bed that should last a lifetime.  Using this method, it is pretty simple and easy to construct a lightweight bed of any length, width, and height to fit your space.

Any hardware type store, or Home  Depot type store should have everything you need to make thee frame, then I use dollar store rope to string them.

Totally adjustable for width, and then you can string it with rope to support a foam mattress.  You  can add conduit or pipe to the legs, to make it higher for added storage underneath.

I was thinking of a similar method, but using nylon webbing like a lawn chair.  It would be very light weight with good support.

I would make it out of 3/16 or 5 mm luan with cedar 3/4 x 1 framing for the top and 3/4 x 1 cedar for the legs, the top would consist of a square frame first made with the cedar, with cross members every 12 to 14 inches, glued and screwed with your 5mm luan glued and screwed to this, after you attach the legs which would consist of four u,s made out of 3/4 cedar attached to the top frame as legs again glued and screwed or brad nailed if you have one. if you are using cedar you will have to predrill your screw holes or you will split it, you will place these u's one at each end the other two so they miss your wheel wells, if you have any, then cover them on three sides or four if you want to have access from the top, with 5mm luan ply extending through to the top frame again all glued and screwed or brad nailed, so it will look like two boxes, the same width as your bed, with a gap in the middle for more storage or three gaps for storage all accessible from the front. it would be a bit stronger if you accessed them from the top, you could do this by simply cutting a hole in your luan before you glue it down a bit over the cross pieces, you don't need to have a bottom on these boxes as the floor will work, this will be very light about as light as you can get I think, it will be strong because you are gluing it together then the plywood is also glued to the frame a bit like a plywood boat, you can use carpenter white wood glue, does this make any sense to you? can you picture it? I built this for my Toyota van, I used 1/2 ply on the top but you can easily get a way with 5mm as long as you have support, if you figure it out right as far as size goes you can probably built this with one sheet, 30 x 70 then use the 18x 96 inch pieces for the side of your boxes which I think will be too high so you could cut them down plus you would have one 16x 30 piece left over from the cut off of 30x70. you would be short a few pieces so maybe you would have to buy two sheets but could use the leftover to build a cupboard in the same manner, also very light and easy to move.

here these cupboards and the bed are made that way however this bed has 10 mm ply but you don't have to go that thick if you want to keep the weight down, they are very light, every thing comes out of this van in less then five minutes, three screws. you can see one side of the bed how it is made , gives you an idea of what I mean by boxes, on this one the front box is accessible from the top and the rear one is accessable from the back after you open the door and the centre part between the boxes from the side  DSCN1281.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN1281.JPG
    DSCN1281.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 56
Yea, nice little setup. Looks totally usable, to bad there's not a way to archive and download user made plans here. Kinda like Instructables(?) website.

John

Good designs Kurb , I'm sure 5mm ply would be strong enough with enough support.
The sizes of the compartments could be adjusted to fit whatever .... tubs , jugs , propane tanks , buckets ...............!
Clear or paint finished to user preference .

Kona , you could take a picture of a plan drawing and post that.

Gigi said:
Bitty,

I've been researching making a bed frame out of pvc pipes.  I'm thinking of doing that and making slats and frame and then use a foam mattress on top.   Maybe that will work for you??  

Gigi

PVC was actually what I was planning to use until I saw BigT's design. I'm still thinking of using it, but the slats seem too heavy for me.

ascii_man said:
I may be totally off-base, but would expanded metal make sense?
http://www.mcnichols.com/products/expanded/flattened/material/stainless-steel/

Does it come in light weights? I'm thinking aluminum is light, but I don't know if it's as strong and they didn't have any on that page. I'm pretty unfamiliar with the options there and how much weight they support.

Konaexpress said:
Foam board and poor mans fiber glass? There is a guy in another forum that makes small boats from this stuff.

John

Foam board like that pink stuff?? I was super excited about that possibility but then couldn't figure out a way to protect it on either side with something stiffer. I used it to inuslate windows in my last setup and used some old leftover pieces on my current fridge. What's poor man's fiberglass? Regular fiberglass off gasses formaldehyde, which I have severe (life-threatening) reactions to.

Off Grid 24/7 said:

If I'm building a bed from scratch, my preferred method is to build the frame out of metal conduit, and then string it with rope to support whatever mattress you decide to use.  This method should make you an extremely durable, yet lightweight bed that should last a lifetime.  Using this method, it is pretty simple and easy to construct a lightweight bed of any length, width, and height to fit your space.

Any hardware type store, or Home  Depot type store should have everything you need to make thee frame, then I use dollar store rope to string them.

Totally adjustable for width, and then you can string it with rope to support a foam mattress.  You  can add conduit or pipe to the legs, to make it higher for added storage underneath.

Thanks for the links...I'd need the length adjustable too for the last one  and for the first one, my current bed is 24" wide, and often sleeps two people. We're skinny, but that width is less then 2/3rds of a twin mattress! I wish 25" works for me but it doesn't enough to pay for.

What's metal conduit? Could you describe what you mean about "stringing it with rope"? My back problems require pretty stiff support, would this setup provide that?

LeeRevell said:
I was thinking of a similar method, but using nylon webbing like a lawn chair.  It would be very light weight with good support.

Good idea. Trying to sort out how I could make sure to get it tight enough to achieve that support.

flying kurbmaster said:
I would make it out of 3/16 or 5 mm luan with cedar 3/4 x 1 framing for the top and 3/4 x 1 cedar for the legs, the top would consist of a square frame first made with the cedar, with cross members every 12 to 14 inches, glued and screwed with your 5mm luan glued and screwed to this, after you attach the legs which would consist of four u,s made out of 3/4 cedar attached to the top frame as legs again glued and screwed or brad nailed if you have one. if you are using cedar you will have  to predrill your screw holes or you will split it, you will place these u's one at each end the other two so they miss your wheel wells, if you have any, then cover them on three sides or four if you want to have access from the top, with 5mm luan ply extending through to the top frame again all glued and screwed or brad nailed, so it will look like two boxes, the same width as your bed, with a gap in the middle for more storage or three gaps for storage all accessible from the front. it would be a bit stronger if you accessed them from the top, you could do this by simply cutting a hole in your luan  before you glue it down a bit over the cross pieces,  you don't need to have a bottom on these boxes as the floor will work, this will be very light about as light as you can get I think, it will be strong because you are gluing it together then the plywood is also glued to the frame a bit like a plywood boat, you can use carpenter white wood glue, does this make any sense to you? can you picture it? I built this for my Toyota van, I used 1/2 ply on the top but you can easily get a way with 5mm as long as you have support, if you figure it out right as far as size goes you can probably built this with one sheet, 30 x 70 then use the 18x 96 inch pieces for the side of your boxes which I think will be too high so you could cut them down plus you would have one 16x 30 piece left over from the cut off of 30x70. you would be short a few pieces so maybe you would have to buy two sheets but could use the leftover to build a cupboard in the same manner, also very light and easy to move.

I don't think I'm at the skill level and strength to do this. A couple weeks ago I grabbed a scrap piece of 2"X4" and tried to use a hackzall to cut off the end, just to dip my feet into working with wood. I got less than halfway through it before I was forced to stop and my fingers were in significant pain for the rest of the day. I would love to be able to try this sort of thing, but I know it's uselessl to attempt that when I can't even cut one silly piece of wood.

Your setup is gorgeous though!

I think you're in the Seattle area if I'm not mistaken. You might check if any boat builders are using a product called Nida Core. Maybe they could prep a scrap piece for you cheaply. It's basically a honey comb panel that when covered with fiberglass resin becomes very rigid and strong. It's used to build everything from boats to semi sleeper cabs to expedition campers. I have friends who's camper is built from it. The wife is not weak, but also not a muscle woman. She probably weighs about 120 - 130 lbs. She can lift a 4 x 8 sheet of it over her head and hold it there with 1 hand. The that same sheet can support her standing on it while the sheet is supported by 2 saw horses with very little deflection. I think it's rather expensive to buy new, which is why I suggest looking for someone already using it that may have a scrap. It seems ideal for your application, if you can find a piece you can afford.