plunger style manual clothes washer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K1ngN0thing

Reaction score
Just ordered one of these as it seems to be the cheapest method available (apart from the DIY 2  buckets and plunger version). Judging by various youtube videos, it seems to work pretty well, and it's a good way to get some exercise in while living in a small space.

The bonus being you get a mini workout as in all chores, take advantage of the opportunity to utilize muscle groups work smart and stay healthy.

While I have a homemade one, I only use it for emergencies. I prefer laundromats since they're such a great way to meet the ladies.

Here's what I do: I put water, mild detergent and my clothes in a bucket. I sit in front of the bucket and plunge my bare feet up and down for maybe five minutes. Do the same for rinsing. While I do go to laundromats maybe once a month, this method works fine for undies and smaller, lighter items, like nylon pants and shorts, shirts, etc.

mockturtle said:
Here's what I do:  I put water, mild detergent and my clothes in a bucket.  I sit in front of the bucket and plunge my bare feet up and down for maybe five minutes.  Do the same for rinsing.  While I do go to laundromats maybe once a month, this method works fine for undies and smaller, lighter items, like nylon pants and shorts, shirts, etc.

AND it gets your feet super clean at the same time.

Almost There said:
AND it gets your feet super clean at the same time.

Yes, it does! :)   And it feels really good to use cool water on a hot day or warm water on a cold day. 

I too have a homemade version. works really good. where I go there is not a lot of "ladies" in the laundry mats, they are also very pricey. here's what I do 5/6 gallon bucket with a gamma lid, whole in the center. a toilet plunger with holes cut into it is the plunger. put couple gallons of water in the bucket, and a small amount of soap, put clothes in, don't overload you want the clothes covered in water, put the lid on and plunge a few times, adjust the load now. add more clothes or water, plunge a few more times. let soak this is the perfect time for a libation of your choice. after the soak, when the libation is done, plunge some more, soak some more, another libation, plunge some more. put in rinse water plunge some more a this time check for suds if you used to much soap you need to change the rinse water again, this is were you realize how little soap you need. once you don't have any more suds in the rinse, wring out and line dry, this is were I want a good wringer, you know the old school type. now if your clothes aren't clean you left out a libation. highdesertranger

I have one of those hand washers but I only used it a couple of times to test out. I was surprised by how much water it uses - it may be less than a home washing machine, but still way too much for my very slow water filter and 7 gallon tank to handle. I've been trying to give it away but will probably just dump it at a goodwill.

If you have a limitless source of fresh water, a place to drain it, and don't go into town often I suppose it's handy.

I saw something on amazon and it was a wash basin. Kinda like a bowl with a built in washboard. I thought about getting one of those. Not fully sure what the best idea is. You guys say buckets and a plundger?

Another idea is to wear more exercise clothing that have moisture wicking properties. They dry very quick and harder to stain than cotton. Also very durable and much easier to wash & dry. I've stopped buying 100% cotton and with as little cotton as possible, even socks. A small micro fiber washcloth is all I need to dry off and it gets dried in only a few hours and takes up very little space, compared to a full sized, cotton bath towel.

Even after a 2-3 hour hard workout, I can go soak in a gym's shower with my exercise clothes on and they get pretty clean. Might be a good way to save some laundry time/cost.

yeah K1ng, then when it's worn out instead of throwing it away you could just throw it in the campfire. better have some snacks. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
yeah K1ng, then when it's worn out instead of throwing it away you could just throw it in the campfire. better have some snacks. highdesertranger

Lol

MK7 said:
Another idea is to wear more exercise clothing that have moisture wicking properties.  They dry very quick and harder to stain than cotton. Also very durable and much easier to wash & dry. I've stopped buying 100% cotton and with as little cotton as possible, even socks.  A small micro fiber washcloth is all I need to dry off and it gets dried in only a few hours and takes up very little space, compared to a full sized, cotton bath towel.

Even after a 2-3 hour hard workout, I can go soak in a gym's shower with my exercise clothes on and they get pretty clean. Might be a good way to save some laundry time/cost.

Totally agree! I've went from jeans to ripstop pants. Jeans soak A LOT of water and take forever to dry. Ripstop pants dry in maybe a quarter of the time. Maybe faster? I can also fit 5 pairs of ripstop in one side of a drawer, but could only fit 3 pairs of jeans in that same space. Problem with ripstop pants is that most of them are cargo pants, which I dislike a lot. I found a brand that are cut like jeans that come in a size small enough to actually fit me. They are 70% polyester 30% cotton blend.

The microfiber towels are great. A terry cloth towel will soak up all the water; you can't wring any of the water out, so all of the water has to dry out. Microfiber towels soak up water very well, and while they don't hold near the water a full size cotton towel does, you can easily wring them out and keep using it. The towel is wrung out at the end of your shower into a grey tank and hung to dry. It dries out super fast and contributes to moisture in your van much, much less because most of the water got wrung out instead of drying out.

If you are washing clothes by hand, you will so much appreciate how much easier washing a 12" X 22" microfiber towel is compared to a full sized terry cloth towel.

Like you said, they take up a fraction of the space. I've been able to open an entire drawer of space by converting from cotton items.

ha ha,,,, navy style for me. And yes you need less soap than you think, you can add but it cost to take away.

highdesertranger said:
I too have a homemade version.  works really good.  where I go there is not a lot of "ladies" in the laundry mats,  they are also very pricey.  here's what I do 5/6 gallon bucket with a gamma lid,  whole in the center.  a toilet plunger with holes cut into it is the plunger.  put  couple gallons of water in the bucket,  and a small amount of soap,  put clothes in, don't overload you want the clothes covered in water,  put the lid on and plunge a few times,  adjust the load now.  add more clothes or water,  plunge a few more times.  let soak this is the perfect time for a libation of your choice.  after the soak, when the libation is done,  plunge some more,  soak some more,  another libation,  plunge some more.  put in rinse water plunge some more a this time check for suds if you used to much soap you need to change the rinse water again,  this is were you realize how little soap you need.  once you don't have any more suds in the rinse,  wring out and line dry,  this is were I want a good wringer,  you know the old school type.  now if your clothes aren't clean you left out a libation.  highdesertranger

I've been looking for a wringer for over a year with no luck. Amazon just started selling them, I just discovered. Nowhere near the high price tag I've been seeing elsewhere! http://www.amazon.com/Calliger-Clothing-Wringer-Laundry-Chamois/dp/B00OAPW6GM/ref=pd_bxgy_la_text_z

Latest posts