Please Written towing and hitch up instructions.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bast

Reaction score
I am scared to death. Absolutely terrified. I've bought a 22ft travel trailer. I've never towed anything. I have bought an electric hitch, brake controller, back up camera and sway controller. I have also had someone show me how to hitch it up. I am not sure I remember it all. I am planning a short very short, trip less than a hundred miles next week.

Does anyone know where I can find instructions on how to  hitch up and tow. I've checked you tube and none of them are step by step. I would really like step by step illustrated instructions. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I looked around and found several youtube that outlined the basic setup, BUT what type of sway controller did you buy as that manufacturer should have a video specific to the product that details how it attaches, there are so many on the market now. When you say "electric hitch", are you talking about the "jack" (raises/lowers the tongue)? I would watch the youtube and find a checklist I could print out like this one: http://www.natm.com/before-you-tow-checklist.html, which I thought was nice as they have checklists that can be printed out. Take your time and recheck your work.

At this level of fear and inexperience, I think you should call a local U-Haul or RV dealership and offer to pay someone to show you how this all works, and maybe give you some brief driving instructions in the neighborhood.

Take a pen and notepad along, and document the steps. 

Then do it all by yourself, in front of this helper, to make sure you can.

Most of the larger places that sell hitches show you how to hook them up. I have heard great things about U-Haul, though I have never purchased from them. Camping World sold my weight-distribution hitch and when I switched vehicles I went back to ask how to adjust it for the new truck which was much taller. They did it for me, but failed to explain what I wanted to know. I wasn't allowed in the "service area" while they worked. So, while they mostly took care of me, I failed to get the information I felt I would need moving forward.

So, yeah, U-Haul would be my recommendation...if they install a hitch / tow system for you.

I'd suggest your earliest drives be in the middle of the night (for low traffic) on nice straight and level low-speed back-roads. After you've mastered safely hitching and unhitching, of course.

Driving forward is pretty easy-- you point the tow vehicle in the direction you want to go, and the trailer just sort of follows along behind you. Except for the increased stopping distances, needing to take corners a little wider and increased merging/lane-changing headaches there's not too much to worry about. Backing, however, is an acquired skill, one that some people find easy and others never master. I'm sure there are many You-Tube vids on this that can explain the technique better than I can here. For what it's worth I had great trouble at first, but in a week or two I was fine. Again, note that some people take longer than others. It's perfectly okay if it doesn't come easily or naturally. Just remember that everyone has a different set of natural talents, and take your time. Soon, in my case at least, the biggest problem I had with towing was that I kept feeling like someone was tailgating me.

One last suggestion-- I'd strongly consider renting a 5x8 (or maybe it's a 5x9-- not sure what the standard size is) U-Haul and pull it around on familiar roads all day for training before tackling the larger unit. It won't cost much, and will do wonders for your confidence. If you do this, please note that in my experience the shorter a trailer is, the _harder_ it is to back up. So the small U-Haul may actually be more of a challenge, in this instance, than the bigger RV. (The shorter trailers react much more quickly to steering inputs while reversing.)

I'll note in passing that while I've pulled boats and small cargo trailers many thousands of miles, I've never personally towed anything quite the size you're looking at. Still.... It wouldn't scare me much so long as I started out slow and extra-careful. This is part of why I'm suggesting the small U-Haul first. It'll do wonders for your self-confidence, and that _matters_ when driving.

Escapees clubs have gatherings every month as well as beginner "boot camps" with instruction. I'm pretty sure if you will find what you need from these if you ask.

Please don't be terrified, Bast. No need for that; just learn to use your side mirrors while you're towing. It's important to be able to see your trailer wheels at all times, and you may want to add on to or change your side mirrors to make that easier. The reason you watch the trailer wheels is because they will always cut a sharper corner than your tow vehicle does and in many cases may actually be wider than your tow vehicle's tires even going straight down the road. For example, your car may be in an OK position in your lane, but the trailer wheels may be on or over the center line.

So let your trailer be your guide (or, to paraphrase Chevy Chase in Caddyshack, BE the trailer:) ) Keep an eye on the sides and wheels of your trailer and don't bother with the center rearview mirror. The only thing you'll see in it is the front of the trailer following you around like a little puppy dawg.

Happy trails,

Johnny

Does anyone know where I can find instructions on how to  hitch up and tow. I've checked you tube and none of them are step by step. I would really like step by step illustrated instructions. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

Greetings Bast :) I've been putting trailers where they belong since 1978 and would like to help by sharing my routine.
1. Secure interior items for travel, turn off everything. I have a two way refrigerator that I turn off too as it stays cold enough till I'm parked again. Some travel with the frig on propane, some do not. It's your choice.
2. Disconnect and store power & water if used. Turn off propane.
3. Lift stabilizer jacks, store jack pads. (I cut a barn stall mat into 9" squares for jack pads & also have Lynx Levelers)
3a. At this point I'll remind you that the wheel chocks are still in place and will be until the truck & trailer are connected.
4. Back truck to trailer & stop close enough to see how high to raise trailer tongue.
5. Lift tongue high enough & back up to hitch. I get out and look as many times as it takes until I'm satisfied.
6. Lower the trailer onto the ball, fasten & pin the connection.
7. Raise trailer tongue while connected to truck to enable me to easily connect Equalizer sway control/WD hitch bars, pin bars at both ends.
8. Lower trailer tongue completely, lift tongue jack completely. At this point I store the jack foot for additional ground clearance.
9. Connect safety chains, plug in the 7 pin from trailer to truck & do a light check with parking lights on & hazard lights flashing.
10. Pick up wheel chocks during light check & store. Do another walk around the trailer to check hatches, windows, lights, site, & connections of truck & trailer (I do several as I've discovered, with me, it's necessary).
11. Pull forward enough to get off of the levelers, stop, pick up & store. Look one more time at the site & bid sweet adieu.
I have a 21' trailer and it follows (tracks) behind the truck very well. Longer trailers will track inside the truck track while turning. Watch a commercial tractor/trailer take turns and you'll see what I mean. Watch your mirrors as you drive to see where the trailer is while turning AND while going straight. This will get you familiar with what's needed on your part as you travel. Looking further down the road will help keep you centered in your lane, check your mirrors and see. Just as driving in general has become easier for you since you first started, so will towing a trailer. What's funny on my part is that even without the trailer I find myself driving as if I'm hooked up. When you get to the next site simply reverse the above steps, more or less. When backing a trailer I've found the easiest concept is this; the trailer will go in the same direction that the bottom of the steering wheel is being turned. Bottom of the steering wheel being turned to the right = trailer going to the right. Bottom of the steering wheel turning to the left = trailer going to the left. Moving slowly while backing gives you enough time and area to make corrections. This becomes easier & more fun with time, honestly. Happy Trails!