Play your guitar! Battery powered amp

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty Van Halen

Reaction score
p5.jpg  I was thinking i would have to sell my electric guitar once i moved into the van because it would take too much of my battery power to run the amp.  plus the amp would take up a lot of space. But I found this little amp that runs on a 9 volt battery! Its not too loud so if you want to be courteous to others but it will still rock for the times you are off by yourself you can crank it up! Iv met so many new people by just opening the van doors and playing a tune.  people tend to gather around and hangout for a bit just to chat.  

heres sample of it and a budget guitar for those of you thinking you may want to have a new hobby in the van...

Attachments

• p5.jpg
    p5.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 23
Nice score.

I think the best-sounding ones are the Yamaha THRs. Whole lot mo $$ tho.

Excellent topic. My go to is the iRig 2 by Multimedia. This allows me to run my tele , through the rig and into my iphone. Then I output to earbuds or to the aux in of my van for jam sessions.

iRig link

irig2_43_front_vert_right_04@2x.jpg

2-galaxynote4-atandroid@2x.jpg

iRig could always be run into a bluetooth speaker if'n you wanted to piss people off...:)

I build Cigar Box style 3 string and 4 string guitars.....I travel in a class C I have a inverter but I also have a small inverter to just run the Amp it does not Draw that much off the Batteries ..... I also have a Solar powered generator.

I have a Fender Champion 20 I picked up on craigslist for $50. It is a little giant slayer and looks like the current draw would be low enough to work well in a van. I did need to upgrade the speaker with a cheap Jensen Mod 8 but that little thing has let me convert a couple of nice tube amps into cash with no regrets.

Great thread topic -
I play a Takamine acoustic electric (have yet to plug it in tho).
Keeps me sane ;)

Strymon has a small amp sim that sounds absolutely incredible. It runs off of 9v 300mA wall wart and can be used with small speakers, headphones, or run into a recording deck. It can be sent into a PA system, too. Many retailers sell it but here is a link to the manufacturers website: https://www.strymon.net/products/iridium/

Rolland AC 33 acoustic amp, guitar or ukulele, battery powered a bit pricy, great sound perfect for busking with a built in looper.

I have a Roland Micro Cube. Runs off 6 AA batteries or AC. After about 20 minutes I have to either turn it off or run it over with my 1 ton van. So far I've just turned it off. It does have a headphone jack. Back in Fl I have a silverface Deluxe Reverb and nothing compares.

That said:
I'm extremely conscious of the sounds I make when camping on public land. To me, anywhere others are camping, it's not cool to force feed decibels of any unnecessary origin to other people, so I bought a cheap acoustic guitar for the van. I like me my reverb so I bought a Tonewood Amp for it. It's not really an amp but it does add effects by vibrating the back of the guitar. It can be over the top at times but if it's dialed in just right, it's great. Rather than trying to explain what I'm unable to, I'll put a link below. I imagine that if I had a 3k Martin, I wouldn't need anything to supplement it. I wouldn't carry a good acoustic in the van due to the temperature and humidity extremes.

Tonewood Amp