Plans for bed frame

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snicrep

Reaction score
I have a chevy express. Ive seen various ways to construct the framework for a bed. But does any one have detailed plans with dimensions and hardware?

Several questions came to me when I read this post.
1) how tall are you, your bed should be longer than you for comfort. Same goes for width of bed. If your skinny a 30” mattress may work. If your 400lbs you will need a wider mattress.

Are you wanting bed sideways in the back of van? Or length wise so you have a path?

2) also are you going to have storage under the bed? If so go to Home Depot or Walmart to measure storage tubs, then you can add a few inches to give you a height to use.

We have built several beds in different vans as well as campers and even a cargo trailer. And not one of them were the same.

Sorry I could not give a solid answer.

Several questions came to me when I read this post.
1) how tall are you, your bed should be longer than you for comfort. Same goes for width of bed. If your skinny a 30” mattress may work. If your 400lbs you will need a wider mattress.

Are you wanting bed sideways in the back of van? Or length wise so you have a path?

2) also are you going to have storage under the bed? If so go to Home Depot or Walmart to measure storage tubs, then you can add a few inches to give you a height to use.

We have built several beds in different vans as well as campers and even a cargo trailer. And not one of them were the same.

Sorry I could not give a solid answer.
Not OP but I'm in the same position.

I'm 5'10" and under 200 lbs. I'd like the bed to span the width of the van. No path to back doors. Mattress length will be roughly 50". So approximately 70" x 50". Storage under bed, but have to be able to sit atop mattress (~3" thick) and not hit my head on ceiling.

Ideally, this will be made from extruded aluminum (eg, 80/20, tnutz, what have you) and convertible to a sofa with storage access underneath while inside van.

Thank you kindly for any help!

I have a Ford E150. we put a full size bed mattress across the back of our van using a "hollywood" bed frame that I cut the legs off of... mattress 70x52 ( cut 4.5 inches off mattress length )... mattress supported by 2x4 slats for breathability. I have 5 plastic totes with folding lids for storage that slide out front or back of bed. You MIGHT be able to use a futon frame and mattress, but, I don't know.

I'm in a Ford Transit Connect cargo van. I built a bed using plans I found online used by other van builders. When I was done I found I had no usable room for storage under the bed and waisted space above me. I took everything out and started again. I also found my old back could not deal with a hard platform surface regardless of the mattress type. So I looked around and came up with the idea for a rope bed, just like they used 100+ years ago. I am 6' tall and weigh 300 lbs. I started stacking 2x4 blocks in the back and kept adding until I came up with the right height where I could sit on them and not hit the roof with my head. The height for me was 20". I then found the mattress I wanted online and ordered it. I built a simple 2x4 frame around the mattress because I wanted the mattress to sit down inside the frame and rest on the ropes. I drilled holes all around the frame spaced 4" apart. I threaded the road through the holes and pulled them tight using a tool I recreated from history books. Then I sat the mattress down inside the frame and measured the height and subtracted that measurement from the 20" to determine my leg height. I made 6 legs, 3 on each side and fastened them to the bed frame. When done, it measured 20" from the ground to the top of the mattress. :) That left me with about 8 1/2" for storage. I made a drawer and mounted it under half the bed and I use tots for storage under the other half of the bed. It works great and is comfortable.

I also found my old back could not deal with a hard platform surface regardless of the mattress type. So I looked around and came up with the idea for a rope bed, just like they used 100+ years ago. I
So does this end up being like a sort of hammock but with a mattress? Sags in the middle?

I have a bad back,too and have been thinking about trying something similar.

. I threaded the road through the holes and pulled them tight using a tool I recreated from history books.
Did you also make the tool to take the stretch out of the ropes as they age. Called "sleeping tight"

So does this end up being like a sort of hammock but with a mattress? Sags in the middle?

Once the ropes are tightened, they provide even support under the mattress... just tighten ropes as you go. Very comfortable.

^My bed platform is made of 5/8" plywood and I'm wondering if the sides where the ropes go thru would need reinforcing? Like with angle iron or old metal bed frame. With the ropes pulling tightly plus 200 lbs.+ increasing that, the sides would need to be pretty stout. Think I might do some experimenting before I spend $400 on a custom mattress.

Last edited:

That would depend on how tight you pull it. The tool I used to tighten the ropes allows me to pull it really tight. There is sum slack to allow it move with me, but not sag.

Attachments

• 20220314_192527.jpg
    20220314_192527.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 8
Did you also make the tool to take the stretch out of the ropes as they age. Called "sleeping tight"

Yes, the tool I used to intitally install the ropes can be used as the age ropes. I can also easily replace the rope down the line.

^My bed platform is made of 5/8" plywood and I'm wondering if the sides where the ropes go thru would need reinforcing? Like with angle iron or old metal bed frame. With the ropes pulling tightly plus 200 lbs.+ increasing that, the sides would need to be pretty stout. Think I might do some experimenting before I spend $400 on a custom mattress.
You can see the picture I uploaded. My frame was made of 2x4 lumber and did not need reinforcing. I did have to add a 2x4 across the middle because I was pulling the ropes so tight the 2x4's bent towards each other almost 2". The brace kept the bed frame square.

I did have to add a 2x4 across the middle because I was pulling the ropes so tight the 2x4's bent towards each other almost 2". The brace kept the bed frame square.
If the ropes loosen up enough would your mattress come into contact with the brace?

What size rope is that?

Are these plans similar to yours?

https://www.greydragon.org/furniture/beds/ropebed.html
I also looked up 'rope bed tool' and found bondage websites, lol. Esp. on Etsy, of all places.

Yes, those are very similar. The important part is to ensure you weave the ropes from side to side, one over and one under...then the next rope is one under and one over. If you enlarge my picture or the one on the plans you posted, you will see what I mean. Weaving keeps the roads tight and avoids any sag.

Here is a picture of the tool I made. It's a simple 2x2 board, a dowel for a turning handle, and a slot cut 1/2" wide and 1 1/2" high. Also note a made a peg out of the dowel as well.

Run the rope all the way through your frame, top to bottom and side to side...weaving as you go. Then using the tool, tighten the first rope on one side. After you pull the rope tight, have a helper tap the peg into the hole to hold the rope tight. Move to the other side and pull the 2nd rope tight, then have the helper remove the peg and tap it into the hole you just tightened. Repeat until you get to the last rope. Once you start, it goes pretty fast.

Attachments

• 20220315_192126.jpg
    20220315_192126.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 7