Placement of Battery Compartment-Heat Danger

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29503

Reaction score
Hello, 
I've attached a photo below for the following:
I am not putting my passenger seat back in my G10 cargo van, the reason being is I'd like to take the metal partition and turn it into a battery/solar component compartment.  I'm going to insulate it electrically and for climate (as I've done for the interior of my van.  Included will be a door.  My (2) 100ah lithium batteries and the rest of my components will be sitting about a foot away from the where the very back of the passenger seat would be.  Again, there will be an insulated door and the passenger window is tinted.
I am doing this because I'm a big guy, it's not a large van and it makes it very accessible for me work on, plus I want to keep all my "nerve center"-like equipment in approximation to each other.

Is this a bad idea as far as heat goes since it is sort of near the cab area where the windshield can filter in sunlight?
The side not facing the camera is 2 feet wide btw, and has a perferated area the same size as a fantastic fan (thought maybe having a fan drawing air in through the window might aid my idea).

Attachments

• Partition.JPG
    Partition.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
The batteries should be comfortable at any temperature you are comfortable at. If you are sweating like a stuck pig, the batteries will be hot too.

If you are talking storage, that is another issue. My BattleBorn batteries are supposed to operate all the way to 135F at which point the BMS kicks in and stops any current from flowing. I will be running my A/C long before it gets to this and really I won't be where my vehicle will get that hot. Reflectix in the side windows and windshield will help a lot with the heat in the cab area. Storage more than a couple of days, the batteries should be disconnected.

With a roof vent fan, you can crack a window in the front to pull air through to the back and out the top.

The front of the van will get into the 150's with the windows closed, even with a sunshade on the windshield if parked in the sun. On my van I have the front of the van and the back completely isolated with a divider. I keep my 220ah lifepo4 in the back (its actually a foot behind the driver seat behind a 1" foam/hardboard divider). The back of my van where its heavily insulated can get into the high 90's even with the swampcooler running, but its well within the limit for the lifepo4.
The battery has to completely isolated from the windshield, all the heat comes from the windshield. If you park in the shade and have the windows open, it might not be too much problem.

Below is a typical hot humid day, my thermometer measure the front and back of the van. I always park in the sun to feed my solar panel.

high humid.jpg

This is a picture of the divider in my van, lifepo4 battery is in the lower left. On the other side of divider is driver area where it reaches 150 degrees.
1 inside rtech.jpg

Attachments

• high humid.jpg
    high humid.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 1 inside rtech.jpg
    1 inside rtech.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 8
First, thank you for such a thorough reply.  Here's what I took from it:

The front of a van reaches upwards 150 degrees, and I need to keep it away from the windshield.  When my makeshift cabinet would be all said and done the front, which for now will assume to be metal, will be 2 feet, maybe 2 1/2 from where he dashboard ends.  Then when you couple that with what you said about ensuring I park in shade...well, what's the point in me even putting solar panels on the roof (which are beyond bought and paid for. Then the other person who replied to this thread said my batteries are as comfortable as  I am.  When get back in my truck after a Walmart safari I'm pretty uncomfortable just those five minutes it takes the a/c to do it's job, let alone an 8 hour day on BLM land in the dessert.  I feel with all that above, it at least poses a substantial risk to the potential $2k in hard earned money spent to charge my iphone.  

I know in the end it's up to me, but I'll briefly tell you my plans anyway and since you sound like you have more experience, then tell me if you still agree with the above consensus. I would insulate this cabinet with 1/2 foam board all around.  Then, I was going to put a fan in he 14"x14" perforated section toward the top of the partition to pull air through the passenger side window.  I was going put reflected up on the windshield when I'm parked.  I can run my roof vent and an additional fan based on my power audit.  My gut still says I don't know how it really will be until it's all together under the sun, and too late to change.  You agree?

Thank you for your help.

Meanwhile, we old school lead-acid users are nodding to ourselves, "See, another reason not to jump on the LiFePo bandwagon."  :D

Couple of point's,

First off if you are on BLM land in the desert more than likely you are not in the shade.
Second even if you park in the shade unless you are moving your vehicle every few hours it will be in the sun light sooner or later.
Third if you are on BLM land roll the windows down and keep the batteries in the shade, not the whole vehicle.

Highdesertranger

Ah, short shopping trips. Your batteries have mass and will gain temperature at a much slower rate than the air inside your van heats up. Also they will heat up a lot slower than the vehicle's metal body as the sun isn't shining directly on them.

I have vent shades on my front windows and leave the front windows cracked with the Fantastic-vent going. A lot of air movement and it is hard to tell the windows are cracked unless looking closely. Is it warm when I get back? Yes, but no where near 135F. I also try to park with the rear of my van towards the sun in a pull through spot so I don't have to sit in a hot seat.

I'm glad you're talking about this.  I believe it's easy to under estimate the potential for heat build up to be a problem.

VanFan said:
I'm glad you're talking about this.  I believe it's easy to under estimate the potential for heat build up to be a problem.
I am too. I've found with the build, if my gut tells me its a bad idea it's probably a bad idea.  I have a nice safe spot between the front and rear tires instead.  I'll use the partition for storage of other things.

Latest posts