Pets not allowed in some state/national parks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IanC said:
That's the reason I got an older dog.  The chances that a puppy would outlive me are pretty high.

My moms 85 year old best friend got a puppy, friend lived to 91 and passed away, her daughter then had a diabetic dog to take care of, even though she travels for work.  Always seems odd to me when older folks choose a puppy, plenty of older dogs need love too.

You have to make choices about nearly everything else in life, so why would you expect perfection with having a dog?

I had a Shepard hybrid that I got when she was 5 weeks old - she lived to be 16 years old - she was a huge responsibility and several times kept intruders away.
I miss her and am so sad she is gone. However, to me - a dog is a 16+ year commitment - mot sure about getting another while boondocking - though I would appreciate the company and protection.

bardo said:
got my side business idea.....mobile dog watching

Correction...you stole my million dollar idea ya son of a gun!

ADVERTISEMENT: Will dog sit for 1 Million dollars!!! SPECIAL-This month only...unlimited days\nights!!! Limited time offer!!! BUY NOW!!!!!!

On a side note, if we are ever close to each other, more than willing to dog sit for a day or possibly few days if logistics are workable. That would be a freebie if food\whatnot brought. We both enjoy dogs, but are uncertain if we could work one in with our traveling\living arrangements.

We have a dog, but will not replace him when he is gone. Sometimes, he is a joy. A lot of times, he is a pain. This is not his fault. He is pretty well behaved. BUT, there is no sleeping in in the morning. He has to go out, and we no longer have a doggie door. We have missed outings or had to come back early because places did not allow dogs, we could not find a good day boarding kennel, he would cook if we left him shut inside, he really was going to have to go out. We have had to hunt up vets in the middle of nowhere because he got into something unfamiliar. He throws up in the car if we try to take him on a day trip. He is a flea and tick magnet, but can't take oral meds because he vomits them up, and some topicals give him an itchy rash. No, when he goes, there will be no more.

I really can't imagine van/RV dwelling without my two border collies. I avoid state parks and stick to BLM land because it seems so commercialized. Most RV parks are OK with dogs as  long as they are quiet... Ive never had a problem.

I'm wondering how many people attempt this lifestyle with a cat? I've seen one guy who has a large Maine Coon Cat, and one lady who travels with hers. I am so thankful for my cat, but like others have said, there have been many opportunities I decided to forego rather than board her. I hope to have her a long time, but won't get another when she's gone for that very reason.

steamjam1 said:
I really can't imagine van/RV dwelling without my two border collies. I avoid state parks and stick to BLM land because it seems so commercialized. Most RV parks are OK with dogs as  long as they are quiet... Ive never had a problem.

I miss our beloved border collies every single day.  It's been 13 years, but they were some of the best times of our lives, if they were still here there's no place I'd bother with if they couldn't go.

We generally get older "used" dogs, too. They usually come housebroken and with their characters formed, so you can see if they will fit your lifestyle. Our lives seem to change every 5 years or so. So, with adopting old dogs that suited wherever we presently were, we were usually in need of a new one when our lifestyle changed.

I've got a cat, she's not been a problem. She's my kid with fur. She comes on what I call 'random picnics' in Yellowstone National Park with me, where I work. You can bring your pet in, they're just not allowed on trails. So on moderate-temperature days, she comes right along with me. If I walk a trail, she waits in the truck where she has food & water, a fan and a small litter-box. There are places by the truck I can let her out (on a harness and leash) to sniff fresh air, wander a bit, chew on grass. She loves that. She doesn't know she's not allowed on trails, it doesn't bother her. She's come to Old Faithful with me, a picnic area between Roosevelt and Cooke City, Norris Geyser Basin, etc.

She saw her first bison a week ago up close, a few were wandering on the shoulder and meandered right by the truck. Her little eyes got real big, wondering what those huge, furry moving things were!

I haven't foregone a single thing in having her except for being less lonely. Set your vehicle up to be a comfortable waiting area; that's really what the need is. Roof vents are great as are battery fans. Don't think about all you can't do, think about all you can.