Permanent Install of Mr. Buddy?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AircooledHome

Reaction score
Has anyone ever/ seen a Mr Buddy Heater taken apart and installed permanently into a van?

I just bought a 2nd one to take apart and complete this project with, and just wanted to know if there are any others to reference..

my reasoning: I dont like moving it around to get it out of the way / burning myself on it / having it tip over and shut off. Also its bulky and if it was built in It wouldnt be in the way.

I will obviously retain the co shut off system.

I will likely convert it to a Spark Electrode so I can wire the switch away and not have to press the button in. Also might relocate the button.

Anyway, first post here, comment if you want pics of the process!

Thanks

TMG51 said:
I had the same thought process.

Get an Olympian heater instead. Wave 6 or Wave 3. The 6 is designed to be recessed installed, the 3 isn't. Here's how I did it anyway with the Wave 3:
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=20100

Thanks for the reply. I guess the benefit of the mr buddy is first, I bought one used on ebay for $50 shipped. VS $250 for the Olympian wave 6.

The Mr buddy is also 9,000 btu VS 6,000 for the wave 6

AircooledHome said:
Thanks for the reply. I guess the benefit of the mr buddy is first, I bought one used on ebay for $50 shipped. VS $250 for the Olympian wave 6.

The Mr buddy is also 9,000 btu VS 6,000 for the wave 6

Most report that the Buddy heater is too hot to keep on inside a van. Some report it is too hot even left on pilot light (if your model lets you to leave it on pilot).

The Wave heaters are also more compact.

But you're right, the Wave heaters are more expensive, and they're also prohibitively expensive to repair if their catalyst pad becomes contaminated. If you're able to make your Buddy heater work in a recess install then you have the best answer already.

TMG51 said:
Most report that the Buddy heater is too hot to keep on inside a van. Some report it is too hot even left on pilot light (if your model lets you to leave it on pilot).

The Wave heaters are also more compact.

But you're right, the Wave heaters are more expensive, and they're also prohibitively expensive to repair if their catalyst pad becomes contaminated. If you're able to make your Buddy heater work in a recess install then you have the best answer already.
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]That is relatively true, for mild use the heater can almost be too much.. I wonder if I can add a regulator while Im in there? I don't know too much about plumbing and that, but I might look into it..[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]There is a ton of bulk with the MR buddy, watching a tear down video made me realize how much more compact I can have it be while still being safe and having heat shields. Cut off the whole side that you attach the propane to essentially..[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]
reds-pinks-mr-heater-propane-heaters-f232000-64_1000_copy.jpg
[/font]

Well this is what we are looking at for guts. I am still trying to figure out
1. A way to plumb a Spark Electrode instead of a push button ignitor.
2. A way to adjust the heat better than the stock knob.
27907152_10213124517086062_191445521_o.jpg

27951267_10213124517286067_305755567_o.jpg

27990509_10213124517926083_394138284_o.jpg

Yea you can do. But remember, it is not a Carbon Mon-oxide shut down. The pilot burns colder in low oxygen levels and shuts off the gas flow. CO is already being generated by that time. Have a detector and do not burn when you are sleeping, or even laying down.

Weight said:
Yea you can do. But remember, it is not a Carbon Mon-oxide shut down. The pilot burns colder in low oxygen levels and shuts off the gas flow. CO is already being generated by that time. Have a detector and do not burn when you are sleeping, or even laying down.

I burn it all the time when I'm laying down, its a vw bus that has a LOT of windows.
I alao have a Tested and working CO2 alarm that sometimes goes off even too soon.