Parking van in greenhouse shelter in winter

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanholio

Reaction score
Van-Greenhouse-570.jpg

I'm real curious to see if any of ya'll have done this? Or what do you think of the idea?

The simple version is you could park in a regular greenhouse or a clear poly tent you make. The advanced version is to put in a reflective north wall for a Kochanski Super Shelter. Here's the writeup.

Granted, I'm personally gonna drive south and to lower elevation. That's why I got wheels. But if work or other considerations kept me in snow country, I'd definitely give it a go.

Attachments

• Van-Greenhouse-570.jpg
    Van-Greenhouse-570.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 12
sounds legit, I'd for sure try it if cold was my problem

I could see that helping someone who has a piece of property to set up camp without zoning issues, and who doesn't have solar panels on their van (or can place solar panels outside of greenhouse).

TMG51 said:
I could see that helping someone who has a piece of property to set up camp without zoning issues, and who doesn't have solar panels on their van (or can place solar panels outside of greenhouse).

I think it'd work parked in national forests and BLM land if it's a portable greenhouse or something more tent-like.

yea,anything that would cut off the wind would be a plus but every green house i have been in,growing plants,regularly watered has been quit humid

Greenhouses contain humidity and can get really hot, even in the dead of winter!

On bright sunny winter days, how much would the "windows" of the greenhouse demininish the effectiveness of the Solar Panels?  Could one still get a charge to top off batteries?

Just curious...

jj

JJPDX said:
how much would the "windows" of the greenhouse demininish the effectiveness of the Solar Panels? 

A lot. I don't know how to give a more precise answer than that, but I know the answer is a lot.

Green houses are giant solar oven. The light heats it up and is trapped inside often needing to be vented in the dead of winter. Barrels of water painted black absorb some of it and help keep it warm at night. Plastic is popular not just for the expense but also because it give defused lighting that is less likely to burn the young plants. That's really gonna kill any solar unless you are using something like a Uni-solar panel.

All glass is not equal nor is all plastic.  A specific type of glass is used as a protective cover on rigid panels as is plastic on flexible panels.  That being said, it would probably be easier and cheaper to add a second solar array outside the 'greenhouse' than to get the correct glass/plastic.  As a plus, it is advantageous to move panels to track the sun in the winter and/or have the panels at a steep angle (angle of sun, snow shedding).

As to a greenhouse being too hot the solution is easy: ventilation.  All greenhouses I have seen in snow country have opening panels high up on the roof and/or large fans down low to exhaust unwanted heat.

-- Spiff