Parking in Orlando Florida

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Key West - a good place to visit and have some crazy fun..... not so great to live.

Born and raised here in Florida.  In those 52 years I've seen alot of change.  Mostly due to growth.  Though I've wandered the whole state, end to end, I've lived on the west coast.  Orlando has crime.  Come on now.  People from all over the world, with alot of tourist dollars in their pockets flock to Orlando. Easy pinkings for crime.  Personnally I would never live in Orlando.  Though we take the grandchildren to Disney for a few days at a time, 3/4 times a year.  Many other nice areas to live.  Take a look around the state.  Also remember, like other places, we natives hear people complaining about Florida.  Well if you don't like it, just leave.

I agree, beachbum61.<br><br>I also was born and raised here, on the Space Coast (Cocoa Beach area). I've moved away and around a lot over the years, due to military mostly. But I have traveled all over Florida and have lived/worked for at least one year in a number of different Florida towns/cities (Cocoa, Cocoa Beach, Rockledge, Melbourne, Monticello, Gainesville, Hawthorne, Pinetta, Key West). The best places I've found in Florida are, North of Orlando - starting from Deland up through the Panhandle. The Everglades area has a sort of difference to it also. If it wasn't for my home town constantly sucking me back, like a black hole, I'd be back up anywhere in the northern Florida area again.<br><br>It's all a matter of what your looking for, we have big city areas and we have the country setting areas - I like the remote, undeveloped, laid back country towns on the beach - which we have over on the Gulf coast big bend area, going north to Tallahassee (yet these have begun to gradually develop into a more visited area also). And, there are some very nice National forests in Florida too.

<hr class="post_date_divider" size="1">
<span id="post_message_1269432412">Alright ill do some more research as about the crime couldn't you just carry a gun? Since it is a rv/van having on in your "home" should not be illegal or is it down there?
<br><br><br>haha, you must think that you're the only one with a gun. I have guns coming out of my butt, but no way in hell would i want to vandwell in Baltimore City or something, even if they let me carry a gun there. Of course they won't though. <br><br>If someone is scoping you out...waiting....stalking...then the element of surprise is on their side..... will you try to quickdraw and probably die or will your gun be an addition to his loot?<br></span>

I live in Florida, north of Daytona Beach on A1A, never had a problem. When I travel I like a gun handy and have a CWP (Concealed Weapon Permit)

Here is a list of places you could try, would ask permission, also would suggest that in return for parking you would be their unpaid security guard, Especially used auto dealers.
•Truck Stops - Asking permission is usually not a requirement Be considerate of the big rigs!
•Walmart - Not all stores allow overnight RV parking in Florida due to city ordinances. Check store for policy.
•Nightclubs - Had one too many or just pretending?
•Grain Elevators - Ask where you can park your RV out of the way for the night.
•Fraternal Organizations - VFW, Elks etc. may allow members free overnight RV camping.
•Cemetery - Sounds creepy to us, but we've also heard they may have water available.
•Fairgrounds - State and County facilities may allow RV camping when not otherwise in use.
•Parks - City, County, State, and Community parks often have free RV camping.
•Churches - You can almost make "reservations" by calling ahead for permission.
•Hotel Parking Lots - Assuming a nightclub/bar is inside, had one too many or just pretending?
•Truck Terminals - Parking areas for large trucks might allow you free RV camping permission.
•RV Dealers - Pretty brave to us, but you could fit right in.
•Cracker Barrel - These nationwide restaurants usually allow free overnight RV parking.
•Movie Theaters - Too tired to drive home after the late show?
•Highway Rest Areas - All rest areas allow a few hours of free RV parking, but noisy.
•Drive In Movies - Got a small RV, park in the back row and enjoy the show. Fell asleep by accident right?
•Vehicle Repair Shops - Need to see the repairman first thing in the morning?
•Big Box Retailers - Kmart, Best Buy, Sams Club often allow free RV camping.
•Roadside Parks & Picnic Areas - The early day version of the rest area.

I parked a few night free at the Moose Club or something, for got which one in Key West.

I would also volunteer to be on the watch at junk yards, pawn shops etc

http://www.rv-camping.org/Florida.html

I'm vandwelling in Orlando now! I also lived here from 2002-2007. One thing to know about the city is it is SPRAWL. When I drove to work, I pasted through 4 different cities before I even got to the interstate. I lived mostly on the east side (Winter Park and by UCF). That area doesn't (didn't?) seem to have much crime. Traffic is awful and people do seem to drive like jerks.

As for parking, I've been sticking to Walmarts mostly. There are a few on the outskirts that officially allow it but I've parked in some that don't. I also joined Planet Fitness, which is 24 hours and has tons of locations around here. There's also a lot of on-street parking and permit-less neighborhood parking around downtown. Nice area, but not nice enough to have partols I don't think. Also, I haven't tried it yet, but I used to live by Full Sail University, which unless things have changed, has classes at all hours of day and night and have classes that share a plaza with a shopping center. Probably not a bad place to park.

What is this with all the hatred for Orlando? I have lived in much worse areas. I have lived here since 1998 and NEVER been hassled by the people. I have more trouble with the LEOs especially since I started living in my van, but even they just run my license and then go on their merry way. I have been down Parramore late nights and early mornings and lived in pine hills. I worked downtown and off of Orange Blossom trail between oakridge and sandlake. All of those areas would be considered "high crime", yet I have never been robbed, or accosted in any manner. I used to ride my bicycle to work going down colonial(hwy 50) and was never hassled at all. I stopped riding the bike because you will get run over in this town if you are on a bike. My main sleep spots are near Orange and Michigan or some of the various other wal-marts in the area. Trouble usually only finds those looking for it here.

I also lived in Philadelphia. That was an entirely different story. I never left my apartment unless I was armed. The only times I ever felt the need to draw down on someone was in Philly. I would never live there again.

I live on the west coast of florida also. Just east of tampa in a small town. The western coast of florida is called, rightly, "the nature coast". It is very beautiful and peaceful here, except for tampa. If you stay away from the city's its a beautiful area with tons of fun things to see and do. If I was looking for a place to be it would be on this side. I am a twenty year veteran truck driver and I have been all over this state and this is by far the place to be if you want to come to florida. The east coast is horrible and full of nasty cities and traffic and crime, would not even go there!

judycmomx6 said:
I live on the west coast of florida also. Just east of tampa in a small town. The western coast of florida is called, rightly, "the nature coast". It is very beautiful and peaceful here, except for tampa. If you stay away from the city's its a beautiful area with tons of fun things to see and do. If I was looking for a place to be it would be on this side. I am a twenty year veteran truck driver and I have been all over this state and this is by far the place to be if you want to come to florida. The east coast is horrible and full of nasty cities and traffic and crime, would not even go there!
I agree 100%. Indian Rocks Beach is my favorite getaway spot.