Painting Over Windows w/ Tint

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonMcD

Reaction score
I've decided that i would like to completely black out the sliding door windows on my minivan, while using curtains on the back and rear. I've weighed the pros and cons and i am fine with them being completely opaque. I plan on using curtains on the side-rear and rear windows, held up by a magnet system i've devised.

These sliding door windows have a factory tint on them, and i was wondering if anyone has ever tried to paint over it, and what kind of paint would work best? Vinyl i am guessing?

I used a tan latex on the rear side windows of my old Dodge van.

If you change your mind later it could be scraped off fairly easily.

If it is a film on the inside it is not factory. Factory tint is in the glass not on the outside. I have never tried to paint over film tint I would be inclined to just remove it. Glass cleaner and a razor blade. Highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
If it is a film on the inside it is not factory.  Factory tint is in the glass not on the outside.  I have never tried to paint over film tint I would be inclined to just remove it.  Glass cleaner and a razor blade.  Highdesertranger

You know, i'll have to double check. Now that you mention it you're probably right. Its definitely not aftermarket. I would bet that its in the glass, and hence not going to be too difficult. I agree with what Slow2Day said, i will probably use acrylic/latex. It won't be too difficult to remove if i ever do change my mind, which i doubt..but would still be nice to be easily removed and re-applied if it ever begins to flake or come off.

An easier way to remove film then spaying and razor blade, this may work, I have seen it work on fresh film not sure about real old film. Spray over film generously with either soapy water,glass cleaner or just plain water, then tape green or black garbage bag to the interior over the water sit in sun for awhile depending how much sun and how hot maybe an hour. Then try grabbing corner of film, it often pulls right off you will still have to scrape a bit of glue residue.

the windows could always be coved with Plastidip, it is an excellent product. you need to put about 4 coats on.. the best thing is it is not permanent, But extremely durable and easy to repair if needed
Plasti dip can be bought on the website or in bigbox stores.

Heck you can even pain your entire vehicle with it.. I did rims on a Jeep wrangler, took it off road, and the stuff never came off, but when you have several coats on it, you just get it started and it peals off easy

I wanted to cover the rear side windows in my panel van with paint on the outside whch didn't last to well (even white) , due to the heat here in Summer.
At first I painted only the inside in a matching Ford colour but with factory window tint, turned it into a sky blue. 

80-chiltern_4_eb75b549489983298160f1414f5a11225591122a.jpg

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Ended up just buying a small roll of coloured matched vynl wrap applied to the outside. Been on the van now for a few years and not peeling or fading.

80-20180927_172435_80f910b0774c56a544d8812a7c47f46d8bfdc70f.jpg
[/font]

rokguy said:
I wanted to cover the rear side windows in my panel van with paint on the outside whch didn't last to well (even white) , due to the heat here in Summer.
Plasti dip is much cheaper than vinyl wrap, granted no color match, but can also be relfective

JasonMcD said:
I've decided that i would like to completely black out the sliding door windows on my minivan, while using curtains on the back and rear.

Why don't you use black contact paper (vinyl plastic it is really) on the inside for starters, in case you change your mind later?

Scott3569 said:
Plasti dip is much cheaper than vinyl wrap, granted no color match, but can also be relfective
Nah, not down my way it ain't. The wrap material was a matching colour offcut from a truck project I'm working on.