Painting cabinets

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen

Reaction score
I have no idea if this is where this should go. If it isn’t, then a moderator can move it.

We have a ‘93 class C. The cabinets have that contact paper fake wood stuff which is starting to peel off. We would like to paint the cabinets, but aren’t sure if the contact paper has to be removed or can we just sand it and prime and paint. Anybody done this? How did you go about it.

It seems that peeling the fake stuff off would be a real chore as it is only peeling here and there. In other places, it’s stuck on just fine. However, I don’t want to start doing this project and find I could have done it much easier or better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

it should be removed, what kind of wood is underneath? paint does not like the paper and eventually it will peel where you have painted. for stubborn spots a heat gun works. for best results you must remove any adhesive that the paper leaves behind, all this means lots of work. highdesertranger

An another alternative, still time consuming but doable is to use an adhesive cover up like MacTac vinyl.

Peel the loose stuff off and give it a good coat of bonding primer. Bonding primer is a bit different than regular primer. It adheres to anything and creates an ideal surface to accept paint when dry. Google bonding primer to get all the info and see if it is what you might want to use.

highdesertranger said:
it should be removed, what kind of wood is underneath? paint does not like the paper and eventually it will peel where you have painted. for stubborn spots a heat gun works. for best results you must remove any adhesive that the paper leaves behind, all this means lots of work. highdesertranger

It is a rough particle board stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a quick google search on how to remove stickers from particle board (what you essentially have) and ran across this site http://homeguides.sfgate.com/way-stickers-off-particleboard-81497.html It talks about scraping off what you can then using rubbing alcohol wiping up immediatly so it doesn't do any damage and it evaporates quickly. You want to try anything you are going to use in an inconspicuous place.

The idea that Mo has is prolly the easiest/quickest improvement. Or get fancy with decoupage and have your cabinets look like a veteran traveler's suitcase covered in mementos.

So, you have particle board cabinets with the cheesy veneer starting to peel off.

If you paint the veneer that is peeling, then you're painting what is already falling off (the veneer). Your paint job will continue to fall off with the veneer, and even if it doesn't, you'll see what is already peeling/bubbled.

If you peel the veneer off, and paint the rough particle board underneath... what you'll see is painted rough particle board.

If you really, really want to, you can peel off the veneer (or just the spots that are bad) use a high-build oil primer and/or skim coat with wood filler, sand until smooth, and THEN paint. Short of that, it's never going to look like a quality paint job, and it might be better to just leave them as they are. This is one of many reasons why particle board furniture is garbage.

Cabinet painting ..... i can give you a few tips and anyone can PM me for more details
I've been a painter for 40+ years and own a painting company in Orlando, Fl

We specialize in kitchen cabinet painting, we paint over 700 + doors a month
it's a big thing now, homeowners getting rid of stain and painting white / gray and others colors

you don't have to strip it down, the product we use will bond to anything ... PPG Breakthrough
if anyone's is in the Orlando area they are welcome to visit our shop and i'll give you a tour , appointment only

we pull the door / drawers off and spray them in my shop, i would be more than happy to help out anyone from this site
and if you like a color we're spraying that week i can do the spray work free ... ( a few extra door won't kill me ) 
you'll have to do the frames / box but i can show you how very easy or i could have one of my painters do it at cost
BTW my crew is all woman so they are very picky and do a great job

i'll post 1 before & after pic of a kitchen we did last week, we even added the handles ( to save everyone's data ) & your welcome to visit my website or google my company
to see our work

PM me if i can help you

Attachments

• before 1.jpg
    before 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • after 1.jpg
    after 1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11