Paint, rust proofing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesprite

Reaction score
After I clean up the inside of my van, I want to use some kind of rust-proofing paint on the interior before I start the build, as well as on the roof outside. Does anyone have suggestions for what paint to use?  The van is a weird medium blue color. I wish I could paint the whole thing a lighter color, but it isn't going to happen.

The most important thing is preparation and getting rid of the rust. Media blasting is usually the preferred way, but grinding sanding and wire brushing works also. Not just rusty metal but all the dust, flakes and bubbles that are forming. Get everything clean. Then treat the metal with a rust preventing coating and then a primer that will bond to the coating. Then seal and paint the entire area with a paint that will bond with the primer. Usually all this is part of a system used by auto restoration professionals and fairly expensive. If you are poor you spend a lot of time with a wire brush. Sweep and clean it as best you can. Wipe it down with acetone or brake cleaner. Then primer it with heavy rusted metal primer and once it is totally dry seal and paint it with the best paint you can afford. Many use Rustoleum products as they can usually be found fairly inexpensive at places like Walmart. With a little practice you would be amazed at the quality of finish you can get with a high quality clean paint brush and I highly recommend it. The roof is seldom seen especially with solar and a good place to try as it is fairly flat. All roofs should be white no matter what the color of the rest of the vehicle especially in the south west in my opinion.

THE most important thing for cleaning & painting an enclosed space you are going to be spending time in is to read and understand the Product Safety Data Sheet for the products you will use.  It will tell you what harmful chemicals are in the product(s) and how to protect yourself.
Some chemicals that make rust prevention effective have serious health effects, so you need to understand what they are and how long they take to clear.

Rustoleum rusty metal oil based primer / wait 24 hours/ rostoleum oil based paint....available in quarts
if you want to match a color wait another 24 hours and topcoat with Rustoleum spray paint

Thanks for the replies.

Believe me, I understand the seriousness of using chemicals in enclosed spaces. I have respiratory issues, so it is going to take me a month to get the inside cleaned up. I have a woodworkers/painters gas mask looking thing that has dual KN95 filter cartridges (one on each side of face) - that should help a little bit.

If needed, I could use the drill with a sanding disk. colors and aethetics on the inside won't matter because it's all going to be covered.

Money is definitely a weak point. I'll probably be seeking van build materials at the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore, maybe will hit up all the area Home Depot stores for some of the free wood pieces they throw away every day. I'm kind of wondering if there is still a Freecycle program in my area.

I cosign with Grampa Pete.   I once worked as a steel worker in the coating crew.  We used a Chromic Brown Industrial Primer which was about the same as Rustoleum rusted metal primer.  We had quite rusted I beams and angle iron that had been sitting out in the open for months.  All we needed to do was wire brush it and wipe it off,  sometimes using compressed air to blow the dust off it. Then it was spray painted with the primer.  It did a fantastic job.  I've used Rustoleum for years now and it does just as good a job.  I buy mine at Walmart or Lowes.  I think you get the best longest lasting job when applying it
with a brush and apply pressure to the brush when painting.

The story behind Rustoleum is quite interesting and what makes it so effective.

Rustoleum was founded in 1921 by Robert Fergusson, a sea captain, after he noticed that fish oil spilled on rusty metal decks stopped corrosion from spreading. He soon incorporated whale oil into the formula, although many changes have been made over the years. Rust-Oleum products no longer contain whale oil, instead using resins derived from Alkyds, polyurethanes, epoxies, latex, etc.

If you have breathing issues (like me) you will want the best protection you can get for your lungs.

N95 is US-NIOSH approved 3 micron particulate filter (dust, water droplets).
KN95 is the equivalent Chinese government safety test.
They are appropriate for iron oxide dust.

Rustoleum is a brand name and covers a large number of products, some of which require an organic vapor filter.  N95 masks do not filter out organic vapors.

N95 filters are dust filters and are not for chemical protection like when painting or using solvents. there are different filters for that. check your MSDS sheet for the product you are using.

highdesertranger

Vgo on youtube and watch videos on how boats are painnted using t he roll and tip method. Tou can get a very nice looking paint job on your van with Rusoleum paint using that technique. But it must be done with a partner, it is not a one person technique. Of course surface prep is an essential for getting good results. But high fill primer from the auto parts store and of course spot putty before t he primer will make a big difference in getting a very smooth surface.

treesprite said:
Thanks for the replies.

Believe me, I understand the seriousness of using chemicals in enclosed spaces. I have respiratory issues, so it is going to take me a month to get the inside cleaned up. I have a woodworkers/painters gas mask looking thing that has dual KN95 filter cartridges (one on each side of face) - that should help a little bit.

If needed, I could use the drill with a sanding disk. colors and aethetics on the inside won't matter because it's all going to be covered.

Money is definitely a weak point. I'll probably be seeking van build materials at the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore, maybe will hit up all the area Home Depot stores for some of the free wood pieces they throw away every day. I'm kind of wondering if there is still a Freecycle program in my area.
check Home Depot for cheep paint in the "wrong color " pile...might get lucky

grandpa pete said:
check Home Depot for cheep paint in the "wrong color " pile...might get lucky

That's what I usually do for paint! The paint I used on the build in my Kia Soul is a weird shade/tone of a gray color that doesn't go with anything.