Paint Jobs & Upholstery in Mexico

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte's Web

Reaction score
Travel in Mexico these days is not for the faint of heart! 

But many still do it, including myself.  I prefer mainland Mexico to Baja & that is where, a few years ago, I got my VW Westfalia completely repainted & upholstered.  
I will list paint job pointers first, then upholstery.

Paint job costs vary in Mexico depending on locale.  Some choose to cross into Baja solely for the purpose of a paint job.  This can be a *quick turnaround* if all you want is a paint job.  There are a number of towns popular with expats & snowbirds where it is easy to get recommendations & find a shop where English is spoken.  
(If you are a veteran Mexico traveler, choose a location convenient to your travel plans.)

Always remove *everything* from your rig, as paint jobs can take up to several days.  In my case, I visited a friend with a winter rental on Lake Chapala & moved my vans' contents into his house. 

I elected to match exactly my vans' original paint, so I bought the paint, including clear top coat, in the US & took it with me.  If you go this route, be *sure* you take enough paint.  Don't skimp.   I'm sure Mexican paint is fine.

My paint job was excellent!  I don't recall the cost, but do remember it was about a quarter of a comparable job in the US.  Make certain the "shop" actually has a paint booth!   Like all else in Mexico, you will make out better & negotiate a better price if you speak Spanish.  But if you stick to tourist towns you will be fine. 

Upholstery:  My '85 Westy got a complete upholstery job also at a quarter of the US cost.  It was done quickly & well.  First, my passenger seat was removed & taken to the shop after all other interior measurements were made.  Two days later, I returned to the shop, the seat was replaced & all cushions and seats were fitted with  expertly tailored zippered covers.  

If I anticipated another such upholstery job, I'd prefer, this time around, to buy the fabric & take it with me.  The only (small) complaint I have about the job was that the Mexican fabric has begun to crack a bit on the seams, sooner that I feel it should have.  But not a big thing. 

!Andele!
Charlottes's Web

Interesting.

Is anyone getting elective mechanical work (front end work, whatever) done south of the border? I'm thinking stuff you need done but have been putting off.

In the Olde Dayes (1950s-60s) my aunt and uncle traveled extensively in Mexico with a Cadillac and small teardrop travel trailer. They knew local people down there, and one couple was showing them the nice leather car seats they had had made and installed. My uncle HAD to have seats like that, so he went to the same place that did the work for his friend, and asked for the same job. The price was much cheaper than it would have cost in SoCal, even then. The leather was beautiful, the workmanship was excellent. He was so happy that he paid them a bit more than they had asked.

He showed another American there, and the guy wanted the same job done. BUT..... when the taxi returned him to the campground, he was bragging about how he told the workers how to do the job, and threatened them if they didn't do it right. When he picked up the car, the leather work was beautiful. But there seemed to be a rather nasty smell that came with it, he noticed when he had the windows closed. The workers had used manure for the stuffing.

Even in those days, damage was done to cars -- parts removed, mostly. When uncle would pull up to a cafe for lunch (etc), there was always a young boy who would offer to 'watch' the car for a quarter. My uncle would pull a nice, crisp $1 bill out of his pocket (he kept a good supply) and he would crease it exactly in half, and tear it down the crease. He would give the boy one of the halves, explaining that if there was no damage when he returned, he would give him the other half of the dollar, and he would have four times the going price. He never had damage to his car. He said that he did notice some older guys hanging around, watching the cars. Someone told him that if a person paid a boy to watch the car, the older guys would honor that deal, and leave it alone, as one of their people was making money off the gringos. If not, well..........

frater secessus said:
Interesting.  

Is anyone getting elective mechanical work (front end work, whatever) done south of the border?   I'm thinking stuff you need done but have been putting off.

Just about *any* type of mechanical work can be done SOB.  If you do not speak Spanish, best to have work done in an expat/snowbird town where you can ask around for shop recommendations.  To keep costs down, avoid tourist traps!  
I once had a complete engine rebuild done in Mexico when my Westy engine blew...
The internet will provide current info re border crossings, etc.

Mexican auto mechanics are generally very good.  But get recommendations from expats.  Expats are plentiful & easy to spot.  Most are happy to offer tips & recommendations.  Whatever your Mexico travel plans, I highly recommend you get a copy of "The Peoples Guide to Mexico" by Karl Franz.  I bought my first copy in 1973 & there are many newer editions.  He's got a website by the same name.  

Feel free to ask questions, if need be.  I've spent decades living/traveling in Mainland Mexico.  It's a new ballgame there now,
but if you stay currrent with the "trouble" spots, you can manage.
Charlotte's Web

I don;t know for sure but with more Lax envornmental laws, Mexicans can probably use older paints which have higher VOC's and might be cheaper and more durable than the more 'envirofriendly' ones used north of the border.

Living in San Diego I known many who go get their vehicles painted down there for a fraction of the price. Some report unicorns and rainbows, some report a five fingered prostate exam. I am guessing the latter pissed off the shop with gringo like demands and assumptions. Not sure how the trump era will affect relations.

I used to frequent Baja, but then crystal meth infiltrated the small coastal fishing villages and I watched the decline of many a formerly good person into a 'fix seeker' who always needed something, had some angle to work, and have not returned for nearly a decade.

Thanks Charlotte, sternwake and trainchaser for the info and help. I do speak Spanish so don't anticipate too many problems. I haven't been to Mexico in a long, long, time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk