Paint insulation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minqua

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried the thermal paint that is supposed to reflect heat back out? They use it for roofs and stuff.

gsfish said:

Ya ive read its more hype than

anything. Imthinking im going to use Frost King rolls but mainly for the sound deadining aspect. And install a roof vent for summer heat. It already has a hole cut out on the floor. The roof is fibreglass so im assuming that will help allot for heat.

"Insulating" paint is not effective in slowing down conduction heat gains or losses.

But the white reflective stuff designed for RVs and school buses can make a big difference preventing radiant heat gain.

I used white paint on my roof. That by itself made a big difference in heat from the sun. Not much help with insulation.

I think imgoing to buy frost king insulation and put it on the floor and sides and get some thick rubber floor matting to lay down. Probally wont put anything up under the roof since its already fiberglass so its already an insulator.

Imtrying to post pics of the van but it says the picture sizes are to larg. So not sure how to downsize them to post them. Sorry

Here it is

Attachments

• 0218181446_Film4.jpg
    0218181446_Film4.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 0218181446b_Film4.jpg
    0218181446b_Film4.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 12
I'm sure, if you give details on your setup, where you plan to live and travel, and be open to learning, ask the right questions, you'll get help, enough that you don't waste so much time and money.

A thin fiberglass shell is not insulating.

And that is a company name, not a specific material.

Its frost king duct insulation. I appreciate all the advice i can get. Im not going for a full blown out conversion van since ill only be sleeping in i 3 nights a week and when i take the kids camping.

Sorry i havnt posted since i got the van. Since i moved back my dad got busted up by a bull we were unloading from a trailer and my mom just got out of the hospital from getting gangrene when she got her gallbladder out.
As for the van Ive put frost king insulation all on the bottom and side walls for a sound barrier. It works really well. I put half inch insulation board on the ceiling and now im going to cut out a hole in the back for a fan ventalation. Ill also get a tarp or something to put over the van to produce shade. I sleep during the daytime.
Oh and lord have mercy. I bought a hammock to try out and ive never slept so good or woke up without my back hurting after work. I live in southern Missouri so humidity is already gonna be a pain. But i want to say thank you guys for the help and advice you have gave me.
Again sorry for not posting in awhile. Had family issues

Heat comes from the Far-IR spectrum, so you only need something that is...

1: IR reflective
2: Not Heat-conductive itself (an insulator)

The color of paint is irrelevant. Black paint can be IR reflective and White paint can be IR absorbing...

There is no singular "element" or "compound", which is capable of doing this. Ceramic is the closest you will get.

That rules-out aluminum, because, though it does reflect heat, it also conducts heat, so it "reflects", both ways, inward and outward. (Think of a tin-foil/aluminum-foil wrapped potato, and now you have every single car ever manufactured with metal.) Vehicles are not made of pure aluminum, they are an alloy, as is tinfoil. Magnesium is a large part of aluminum used for adding rigidity to it. Magnesium does not reflect heat, it absorbs it. (Magnesium is what you use to create fires, with striking wands.)

Ceramic is highly IR reflective, by conduction-rejection, if manufactured correctly... However, unless it is solid ceramic, it is almost as useless as aluminum to reflect heat. (The conduction of the "medium" used to bind/contain the ceramic, {paint}, will simply transfer heat in both directions, using the ceramic to act like aluminum, reflecting it both inside and out, whatever it absorbed.)

This is why foil-masked (or surface-Mylar-masked), insulation is the best solution. It reflects with the pure-aluminum, but since it is thin, it transfers only a little conductive heat, and that is against a highly insulated surface of foam. Thus, it reflects the MOST outward, resisting the heat that would normally pass inward. (Same for internal generated heat, which includes your 98.6F-degree oven in your belly.)

I still don't understand the use of "glass insulation"... Last time I checked, glass was thermally conductive. Glass windows, glass cookware, glass test-tubes... Ceramic kilns are used to focus heat to melt glass, metals and to strip-away paints. It is a horrible insulator. Dead dry air is better.

All that above is wrt fighting radiant heat gain.

Insulation is a completely different topic, slowing down conduction transfer and sealing against convection losses or gains.

The later we have a lot more control over. The impact of fighting the former is grossly over-rated, parking in the shade is the best solution against that if possible.

There are three ways that heat moves. Radiant, (like the sun's heat), Convection, Like the heat coming out of your vehicles air ducts in the winter), and Conduction, (direct contact with a warm object. Think touching a hot stove).
Those shinny barriers like Reflectix and some roof Paints try to deal with the radiant part but have little effect on the other types of heat transfer. For them to be effective there needs to be an airspace between them and the heat source. This is not easy to do in a vehicle to keep heat out, but easier when facing the inside to keep heat in. This type of insulation works good on glass windows as they usually are not in direct contact with the glass.

Sorry but 99.99% useless on the low temps facing in, only bother facing out.

Yes to the glass, but other than that, useless without the air gap.

Some vapour barrier value, same as poly dropcloth.

John61CT said:
Sorry but 99.99% useless on the low temps facing in, only bother facing out.

I was referring to using radiant reflective material facing inward to keep heat in during the winter. Even your body gives off radiant heat let alone another heater. It can get real cold at night even in the South West.
I worked on commercial refrigeration for 30 years. I know about heat transfer, and your going to state that my opinion is 99.99% useless? That is pretty rude. You are free to give your opinions without implying others are idiots.

Just the facts ma'am nothing personal, don't mean to offend, but you are wrong, knew what you meant and stand by what I said.

Reflectix has no significant insulation value.

Reflective radiant barrier does virtually nothing for keeping heat in.

That's what proper insulation is for, including a good vapour barrier, complete envelope of the space.

John61CT said:
Just the facts ma'am nothing personal, don't mean to offend, but you are wrong, knew what you meant and stand by what I said.

Reflectix has no significant insulation value.

Reflective radiant barrier does virtually nothing for keeping heat in.

That's what proper insulation is for, including a good vapour barrier, complete envelope of the space.

You say just the facts, but those are not facts, those are your opinions. You talk like an expert that you are not.
What is one type of heat that a Mr. buddy heater puts out? Clue it is glowing red.
Answer, radiant.
What is one type of heat that an object puts out when warm? Clue look at a picture from an infrared camera.
Answer, radiant. Since the camera is not touching the item the only heat it can record is radiant.
You see no reason to wish to keep this heat energy inside of a living compartment during a cold day?
Insulation does little to stop radiant heat. That is why they make radiant barriers like Reflectix.
OK you win. I am done.