Pack Rat Campfire?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT646

Reaction score
Had a somewhat scary situation while driving on I-15 recently.......Black smoke coming from the ventilation ducts in our  RoadTrek (dodge 3500, with the 318).  Naturally, as Murphy's Law would have it, this happened in heavy Salt Lake City traffic.  I put on the emergency flashers and slowly worked my way over to the side of the road.   By the time I finally parked it (about a minute or 2) the smoke had stopped coming out of the vents.  I'm still not sure of the cause--the smoke smelled like a small campfire.   I've ruled out a blown heater core or blower motor, all gauges were normal as was a quick look under the hood.    My best guess is burning debris (?) from a possible packrat nest.  I was previously parked in a New Mexico State Park for 3 days.

I hope to  know more when I remove the 'dog house'  but a google search didn't show much.   Anyone else experience something like this or have any ideas?

Smoke from the vents is not under the dog house. There could have been something inside the blower housing or even in the cowl vent. Was it steam from a heater leak? How's the coolant level? Air Conditioner leak? It would still be good to check under the dog house cover for peace of mind.

There is a Roadtrek group on facebook. It's an excellent resource and you could post what happened there.

I once had a Miata almost go up in flames...a packrat had partially chewed through a plug wire and then built a nest on top of the damage. The arcing from the wire to the cam cover lit the nest on fire while heading to work. Thankfully I got off the highway and managed to fling the nest off before any major damage occured.
I have also have had nests start smoking on exhaust manifolds as well but not become fully involved. Concerning the vents etc. if you have your inlet air set on fresh, you WILL get smoke into the cabin if there is enough of it.
I hate packrats, but for me, that is the price of living out of the city.

I haven't had that problem but have read a number of people say that leaving your hood partially raised discourages rats from nesting on/around the engine. Don't know why but possibly because they feel exposed. Probably a lot of people wouldn't want to try that because they would feel exposed.

Last winter I took some leftover pieces of PVC I had laying around and built 3 sets of hood stands for the group.

A 'T' and piece of straight PVC and an elbow worked great. They hold the hood on a van up about 8", just far enough that rain entry wasn't a worry.

This and a dollar store solar ground lantern put in there worked great...well, we think it did, cause we didn't have any problems even with vehicles that were left parked in one spot for a week!

my dog hates pack rats. he hates them so much that if one gets in my truck he will not rest until Mr. Rat has departed. one way or another. highdesertranger

Skuh kuh kuh kuh , good dog ! Here's your bisquit !
You might be able to rent him out at RTR...............

I'd heard that too Jay but the thought of heating mothballs in the engine compartment just didn't sit quite right!!

They're smelly enough on their own without heating them.

Wonder what happens if they fell on the block - what is their melting point or the temp at which they burst in to flames... :-/

The vapor mothballs is toxic ....to packrats and YOU !

When I was a kid we only made gun powder i was missing out all this time, saltpeter charcoal and I forget what else.

Having lived in a motor home in one spot for over ten years and traveled with a camper of some kind most winters we have had a few issues with mice and rats and other wild life. Some are really neat as when we left the door open to take in supplies and not one but two foxes came in probably chasing some little rodent. As fleas rodents carry are of some concern especially in most national parks we do try to avoid contact. Last year at Organ Pipe campground fliers suggested open hoods to cool off engines quickly and solar lights as most night creatures avoid lighted areas. Food and warm areas are the main reasons they visit. Some wiring insulation and air cleaner materials make good nesting so moving and regular maintenance help, they don't like visitors or traveling so much.

JT646; this thread went slightly off target. I want to know what you found about the smoke problem?

My last dog loved packrats...she would scoop one up and walk around for the full day with its tail hanging out of her mouth. Like an all day sucker for dogs. I can't forget the time she spooked one out of the woodpile and chased it across the field; the rat stopped, turned and stood on its haunches and looked ready to do battle and GULP....in the mouth it went and spent the day hanging out of my pooches' mouth....priceless.