Owner-built folding Murphy bed for van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainChaser

Reaction score
This guy does a really nice job showing how he built a folding Murphy bed in his Transit.  To skip the chat, go to 3:36:    You could have a lot of storage under that, and lifting it would expose even the farthest area.

He has the instructions in several videos, but the numbering of the videos isn't sequential, so you'll have to jump around to find the next step.  Nor do the videos segue into each other.  But his work is good. 

The nuts that hold the wood against the van supports are called PlusNuts, seem to work perfectly for that situation, and made me break into a sweat when I saw the price:  $2.60 each WITHOUT tax and shipping ($3.48 with T &S).

PlusNuts are the bomb.

Track down a local distributor, should get them below $2.

Use the simple hand tool, not the thing looks like a rivet gun.

I've been following him; love to have a murphy. Of all the thousands of searching bed video ideas, his is the best quality. Anxious to see his drawer method shower.

I was just watching his videos today.  I have been looking for good plans on a simple Murphy bed.  Like you said, they are all over the place. but the workmanship seems very sound and I like the ideas.
The Utility Sink Shower will also be interesting to see work.

Good Ideas.  :idea:

FryBread said:
I was just watching his videos today.  I have been looking for good plans on a simple Murphy bed.  Like you said, they are all over the place. but the workmanship seems very sound and I like the ideas.
The Utility Sink Shower will also be interesting to see work.

Good Ideas.  :idea:
I think he is complicating things . a basic shower pan is the overflow pan for a water heater...put a piece of netting on the bottom of your murphy bed to store the 2 inch deep pan
the pan comes with a side drain hole you could run out or in to what ever you have .
a little Velcro will keep the shower curtain in the drain pan .
a shadow box with a 25 foot roll of copper tubing on the roof will give you free solar hot water

He does tend to overbuild a bit, but he's doing what is best for himself. WE can learn and adapt.