Oregon?? Anyone...???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vgilbert

Reaction score
Hello All,
Just rolled into Oregon yesterday. Currently camped along the Columbia River outside Rufus and ready to explore.
Looking to camp with a small group of nomads.

Be sure to stop by the the Maryhill museum and Stonehenge across the river.

Due to its fast traffic & limited exits, the interstate on the Oregon side of the Columbia River, in my opinion, makes it difficult to enjoy the scenery and to visit local attractions.

I much prefer driving along the Columbia River on the Washington side. A good way to find campsites is to use the free ioverland app, which specializes in sites for smaller rigs. For people sensitive to noise, the biggest drawback to camping on either side of the river is the closeness of railroad tracks. Luckily, the noise of the trains usually doesn't bother me much, unless they routinely use their horns at crossings.

Portland area traffic is horrible, so along the river I avoid going any farther west than The Dalles.

I'm a big reader and used to love going to Powell's Books, but the fight to get there just isn't worth it anymore.

Camping at Rufus is entertaining if not peaceful and quiet. Trains on both sides of the river, freeway on the Oregon side. Tugs and barges on the river along with kite boarders and sail boarders. 135 wind turbines visible from where I camp. Good fun.

There is camping on the Washington side too.

hugemoth said:
Camping at Rufus is entertaining if not peaceful and quiet. Trains on both sides of the river, freeway on the Oregon side. Tugs and barges on the river along with kite boarders and sail boarders. 135 wind turbines visible from where I camp. Good fun.

There is camping on the Washington side too.

That area (John Day dam) is one of my favorite places to hang out for a little while, lots to see (people and things). Stonehenge is really neat to see too.

jacqueg said:
If you're coming all the way to the coast, I'm in the Astoria area...
I plan on getting there! Just moved to Mt Hood, its gorgeous!! 
Have an appointment near Portland this coming week for a tune up, then plan on heading towards the coast
If you keep me updated (pm's are ok) I will try to catch up

I traveled the gorge at least 3 times a year, and I am not just saying the winds should be taken into account when planning a trip, I'm saying they have been higher at times for me personally.

But people do say a lot of things, true.

One experience I had traveling between my home in Milton Freewater, and Portland Metro, I was in my small, truck w/canopy. Ahead of me was a truck hauling a travel trailer. I knew it was windy, but it wasn't affecting my truck that much. But at one point I really became concerned and was much more attentive when I started seeing that trailer start waving like a flag.

So believe it or not, I will suggest to anyone driving the Gorge to take some precautions like checking forecasts, etc.

jacqueg said:
OK, will do. Near Seattle right now at my sister's, will be back to the coast probably by Wednesday.
Where are you staying on Mt Hood?
Currently at 45.2812  -121.7351  Nice spot, a lot of people here at the moment but most are weekenders 
Have an appointment in Gresham on Thurs. morning so I will be moving towards the coast at some point after.

River bar camping? Are you referring to the fisherman area around Gold Beach?
If so, up north past Port Orford (at the sixes river meets hwy 101) is a nice camp, free area. Unless that is changed. Can't recall the name. Love Cape Blanco!

Latest posts