options that aren't cats or dogs?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When i started vandwelling, I had a colony of Central American Death's-Head Cockroaches.

Seriously.

Alas, I found that while keeping them warm in winter wasn't difficult, keeping them cool in summer was very very hard to do. I ended up giving them all away.

One of the most loving pets I ever had a a pair of ferrets. I'd suggest just getting a male. They love warm places & walks on a small leash around people & you'll never have a mouse or rodent. The ran tens of thousands of miles of phone wire in small underground tubes by putting a mouse in the tube then a ferret with a harness pulling the wire.

A rat makes a great pet. Most people don't realize how smart and cuddly they are. They only live 2 or 3 years so its not a long term commitment.

I had a pet rat way back. He was a great pet. Anytime I got ready to leave the house he would invariably find a way to hide down in my purse. I don’t know how many times I would be driving down the road and I’d here his little happy voice as he came out and perched on my shoulder. Little turd outsmarted me more than once.

He was also potty trained and would go in his cage to do his business. I never trained him for that he just did it.

He always wanted to be in your lap. If he was scared by something like a loud noise he would come running to Momma [emoji16]

I know huh? Heehee I love them all and never met a critter I didn’t like.

Part of the reason that we are not on the road right now on our 10 acre farm;

-3 horses
-1 goat
-3 donkeys
-10 ducks
-25 chickens
-3 guinea fowls
-5 barn cats
-2 inside cats
-2 inside dogs
-1 parakeet

In past years we have had some of the addition following animals

-bearded dragons
-Cali King snake
-Garter snakes
-rat
-feeder mice
-gold fish
-coy pond
-Llamas
-fainting goats
-Wolf Hybrids
-worm farm
-4H show rabbits
-peacocks
-probably some that I can't remember.

I've considered having a snake to keep rodents out of my van.

Gr8ful said:
One of the most loving pets I ever had a a pair of ferrets... you'll never have a mouse or rodent.

Testify! I have a good story to tell about that. I used to live in the country and one Thanksgiving day I walked into the kitchen to see a wild weasel sitting on his haunches, trying to figure out how to get up to the turkey. We chased him out of the house with a broom but he sprayed a bit of musk along the way (they are related to skunks, apparently). We did not have one mouse in that house for a whole year after that!

I used to have a pet rat and loved it, but before getting one as a traveler, I would consider:

1 They pee and poop where they like. Someone above said hers was cage-trained and that's great, but I don't think you can count on it. In fact mine didn't like her cage at all. It was hard to get her through the door, so she didn't want to go back there to pee either, I guess.

2. It may be against the rules (perhaps even in some places against the law?) to take a rat or other potentially destructive critter into some places, be they public or private.

I'd stay away from pets that authorities might find troublesome.

My ferret loved to tide in the glove box in the winter as it was next to the heater. They were illegal to own for years but now are legal. My buddy had a pair he used to rabbit hunt & got over 800 one year. I never hunted mine but they do make great small pets.