Optimal driving route for 70 degree high every day year

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Binxie

Reaction score
"13,235-Mile Road Trip for 70-Degree Weather Every Day"

Or just look at the maps:

Alaska included

lead_large.jpg

Lower 48 only

8fafd56db.jpg

Huge problem, I'm 1500 miles away from where I should be on Nov. 1st. Maybe I can get on-track next year.
Nice route map to try and follow for sure.

I prefer having an all weather rig, and all weather equipment, and enjoying my own route.

Trying to maintain an arbitrary 70 degrees makes life very difficult for too little reward. 80-85 degrees as a high in a van is very comfortable and can easily be done without leaving the state of Arizona.
Bob

I was in Brownsville one Christmas. It was light snow and freezing.

akrvbob said:
Trying to maintain an arbitrary 70 degrees makes life very difficult for too little reward. 80-85 degrees as a high in a van is very comfortable and can easily be done without leaving the state of Arizona.
Bob

I'm inclined the way Bob's thinking. We have been running down the East the past few weeks to get away from the chill and still had a few 30-40 degree nights. Hopefully this point we are headed that direction and plan to stay that way for quite some time.

I agree with those on the idea of not chasing the 70 degree thingy.
My wife and I haven't quite got all the details on what we will do about the sub 50 ish days once we leave the 9 to 5 in a few years.
What we would most likely include is lots of time in our native PNW. Then head out to a bit warmer climate in November through March. We've gotten so used to all the greenery it's gonna have to be part of the routine.

Thom

akrvbob said:
Bob
Bob, if all I wanted to do were to stay in my RV I would agree with you.  But the purpose of (at least for me) chasing 70 degrees is to be able to travel to parts of the country where the climate is most comfortable to me and see some great things along the road.  There are a lot of things to see where I live in Las Vegas Nevada, but yesterday (7/7/17) it was 127 degrees in my back yard.  I can tell you that it was way too hot to venture out and see anything.  The official temperature in Las Vegas was only 115, but having lived here for the last 65 years, I can tell you that the official temperature is never the neighborhood temperature.  The official temperature is taken at McCarran International Airport, a good 5 miles from me.

So I would really like to find a route that someone has taken that is a lot more specific than the map posted by Brian Brettschneider.  It appears that in July, Denver would be a good place to be, but if you look at the average temperatures for Denver in July, they're closer to 90 than 70.  So what is that dot on his map referring to since the map can't be enlarged to be able to see enough detail.

Thanks Bob,

Allan

AWEATON said:
  There are a lot of things to see where I live in Las Vegas Nevada, but yesterday (7/7/17) it was 127 degrees in my back yard.  I can tell you that it was way too hot to venture out and see anything.  The official temperature in Las Vegas was only 115, but having lived here for the last 65 years, I can tell you that the official temperature is never the neighborhood temperature.  The official temperature is taken at McCarran International Airport, a good 5 miles from me.

And that is one of the reasons I left Las Vegas. I have no use for that kind of heat ever again.

Several blogs have done a pretty good job of doing so but weather changes have caused more variation in temperatures over the years. Seems it is never the same as it was last year for us. Tioga George and RVSue have really tried but always seem to get caught by a change in the weather over a large region. Best to be prepared to move or survive unusual temperatures for several days.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
I prefer having an all weather rig, and all weather equipment, and enjoying my own route.

I'd prefer that, too, but my rig is anything but all-weather so, for now, I'm happier chasing lower temperatures than I am braving higher ones.

akrvbob said:
... 80-85 degrees as a high in a van is very comfortable ...

'Very comfortable', for me, is much closer to 70. When I lived in an apartment, I kept the temperature between 68 and 71 and spent most of my time wearing nothing but underwear.

AWEATON said:
Bob, if all I wanted to do were to stay in my RV I would agree with you.  But the purpose of (at least for me) chasing 70 degrees is to be able to travel to parts of the country where the climate is most comfortable to me and see some great things along the road.

That's my take on it, too. Barring extraordinary conditions like high humidity & dewpoint, or high winds, 70-degrees is my 'sweet spot' for doing just about anything outdoors.

I think it's odd that there are no Northeastern states planned on those routes!

For me, 65-72 degrees = comfy. But I also love it when temps are in the high-50s to mid-60s. I love cooler weather and wearing layers. 85 in a van? I'd be sweaty, miserable, and bitching about the heat all the time! LOL.

~55 to ~75 temp range for my wife and i these days.

Since moving from the Reno area in 1986 to the PNW (and Oregon Coast since 1989) I can say my wife and i are officially "Weather Weenies".

We have become so used to the lower relative temps that 55 to 75 is long sleeve shirt weather and don't don an outer fleece before ~50 or turn on AC before ~80. When we go out on an adventure, most camps (we spend a lot of time in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest north of the Portland/Vancouver area) it may be ~80 to ~90 in neighboring towns, but ~70 to ~75 in camp. Perfect for us out and about.

Ramble Warning: Once we unplug from the workforce we have all intentions of most likely placing our big rig (40ft toyhauler we call home) on or near our kid's places in the SW (one in Phoenix AZ the other in Alamogordo, NM) and making that our home base to then go out in our adventure rig (most likely Van 2.0... we are currently in Van 1.0 that we will find a new home for) for months at a time ventures. Like others, we will probably call the state of Nevada our "Home" since we still have family there and the tax breaks are nice...and we love to visit the Sierras (Lake Tahoe/Donner).

We are not big road warrior types and find no need to see the world. We are quite ok with living and traveling vicariously through others from blogs and such. That said we will most likely find ourselves shuffling between Washington/Oregon/Nevada/Arizona/New Mexico. Beyond that? Maybe a time or two, but we don't have a bucket list or must sees.

End of Ramble :)

Cheers,
Thom

AWEATON said:
Bob, if all I wanted to do were to stay in my RV I would agree with you.  But the purpose of (at least for me) chasing 70 degrees is to be able to travel to parts of the country where the climate is most comfortable to me and see some great things along the road.  There are a lot of things to see where I live in Las Vegas Nevada, but yesterday (7/7/17) it was 127 degrees in my back yard.  I can tell you that it was way too hot to venture out and see anything.  The official temperature in Las Vegas was only 115, but having lived here for the last 65 years, I can tell you that the official temperature is never the neighborhood temperature.  The official temperature is taken at McCarran International Airport, a good 5 miles from me.

So I would really like to find a route that someone has taken that is a lot more specific than the map posted by Brian Brettschneider.  It appears that in July, Denver would be a good place to be, but if you look at the average temperatures for Denver in July, they're closer to 90 than 70.  So what is that dot on his map referring to since the map can't be enlarged to be able to see enough detail.

The temperature in any city is always going to be much different than outside of the city.  I recently did some car-camping (Prius) in the Moab area.  The night-time temperature in Moab as well as the BLM areas north of Moab was in the high 90's.  I camped in the LaSal Mountains east of Moab and about 1500 feet higher than Moab.  The night time temperature reached the mid 50s.  I didn't have to turn on the AC in the Prius and actually ended up having to sleep under a blanket. 

Regardless where you go, you don't want to camp in the city if you want to avoid hot days.  If you want to spend some time in Denver, camp west of Denver in the mountain forests...

No one likes sunbathing/swimming? 90+ is best for me :)

Svenn said:
No one likes sunbathing/swimming? 90+ is best for me :)

While my soul might enjoy such...My Irish Skin says otherwise : ) 
So i spend my time under a shade tree next to the river(s) enjoying my wife's presence, creating art or reading a good book.

Thom

I lived in Florida for 20 years and my blood thinned. So now I shiver if it gets below 75.

;)

You want to drive across the country and never have it get above 70? Aint going to happen!!!!!

I lived in Anchorage, AK all my life and every so often it would hit 80, and that's pretty far north. Fairbanks is further north and it regularly hits 90 and occasionally 100. The only places in the country where you can be fairly sure it will never hit 80 or above is over 10,000 feet, primarily in Colorado.

We're talking about the outside temperature and I'm assuming you can maintain the inside at the same temperature, which should be easily doable. 80 just has not been a problem for me with a vent and a fan. I also have no problem going for a hike in the forest when it's 80. Just no big deal.

The one exception is along the coast which sometimes can moderate the temps so they stay pretty nice.

I've attached a satellite map that shows the mountains of the Northwest in very rough and dark green, that's where the National Forests are and at higher elevation. They will all be somewhat comfortable. You see the low-land around them (high desert and plains) that's all going to be miserably hot!! No matter what, if you are going to travel and see much of the country, you have to drive through that heat, or, just never see the most beautiful parts of the country.  

I have a southwest map but didn't upload it.

Schedule-map-north-001-1.jpg

lenny flank said:
...So now I shiver if it gets below 75.

My Daughter & Son both spent ~7 years in the "Sand Box" at various Air Bases (so far) for the USAF. 
Daughter now stationed in Phoenix and son at Alamogordo, they both said just about the same thing. And don log sleeves or a hoodie if it is below 70 outside.

Thom