Opinions on this Dodge Promaster

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solution

Reaction score
I understand that the price is going to give many of you pause for concern, and I will welcome any debate or criticism over that topic. I would like to add though that I work, and will continue to work full time and have minimal debt. 

I know these vans are new so I don't expect that old time wisdom this forum is great at, but  please hit me with all the reality you can because I'm considering getting this van or one like it. 

My application will be urban dwelling, with weekend trips and using it as my daily commuter. 

I work out of Austin as an Elevator Mechanic, so will spend most of my time in and around this city. I plan to get the van by the end of this month, and then spend the next month getting it ready for a July 1st move in date. I know I wont have it complete by then, but hope to have a solid foundation in place to get me through the summer. I can borrow a ton of tools from work also which is nice.

What would your concerns be, does this seem like a good van to build out of, and what am I not considering?

Edit: Ha, forgot the dang link. https://austin.craigslist.org/ctd/5024157762.html

Thanks.

I know absolutely nothing about these, but it sure has potential. highdesertranger

Other than price what's not to like? Fuel efficient, 100 inch height, plenty of cargo room, much straighter side walls to work with, new vehicle technology.

Look, if I wasn't limited to a $3,000 van I'd looove to have something like that. So it's not particularly stealthy. Well in many areas I see, it would fit in just fine. Doesn't look like your typical vagrant van either, too new. Hey if you can justify the price and then the conversion (power, solar, interior insulation, finish floor, water system, heating, ventilation, storage, bed, furniture etc...) then go for it. Nobody here should complain about you having a nice ride if you have the $ to spend. I don't know what elevator techs earn but if you get a good wage, then treat yourself. I mean if your living in it might as well.

You have a write off as a business vehicle that doubles as your apartment on wheels. That would work for me. I'll trade you a beater hi top conversion and say, $500, if you have title in hand. Just save a few silver coins for an extended warranty maybe...factory only, and shop dealers online as you can get them for about 50% of the typical cost. Factory plan only though, no third party companies!

Have fun with it, I can only drool. But then at my age, drooling comes easy...

I really like them, they are huge... however fairly expensive and who knows how the long term quality is. Also I dont think they are very stealthy because they are so new and unique looking...

But I do like them... huge living space!

One consideration too, is how much underfloor space for tanks and battery boxes? A framed vehicle usually has some workable space. These unibody vehicles seem to ride lower.

From a previous thread on these Fiats I said this:
"Something to consider...this is Fiat's 3rd attempt at coming into the American market. Most older mechanics in the US are quite leery of working on Fiats, and I'm sure they've passed those feelings on to their kids and/or 'apprentices'. I've had a lot of fun in some old Fiat 124's, but I could do my own work on them. I would never recommend one to a friend unless they were well aware of what they were doing.

BTW: Fiat-Chrysler Brands has been rated last In Consumer Reports Auto Reliability Survey for 2015.

I would wait at least 5 years on both the new 'Transit Van' and 'Fiat/Ram Van' to see how they actually pan out here in the USA.

Just my 2 cents. "

Most 'dwellers' enjoy the great outdoors in the 'boonies'....
if you break down in a rural area, would you rather be in a van (that shares many parts with its pickup truck siblings) familiar to most mechanics, or a Fiat never seen in America prior to 2014?? :s

I got a good deal on a new 2014 Promaster 2500 in January. One problem that the 2014s have is that their brakes sometimes squeal very loudly, announcing to everyone around that you are present. However, sometimes the brakes don't make any noise at all; I don't know what makes the difference. Another problem that I am having is with the buzzer volume each time I start the vehicle.  I can adjust the volume, but the sound always defaults back to the highest level. (The loud noise is especially annoying early in the morning when I am still a bit sleepy.) I work at a dealership and have had the service department try to fix the problem. So far we have not been able to get the buzzer volume to stay at a lower level. I plan to check on another Promaster that we have on the lot and see if that one has the same buzzer problem.

roaddog said:
I got a good deal on a new 2014 Promaster 2500 in January. One problem that the 2014s have is that their brakes sometimes squeal very loudly, announcing to everyone around that you are present. However, sometimes the brakes don't make any noise at all; I don't know what makes the difference. Another problem that I am having is with the buzzer volume each time I start the vehicle.  I can adjust the volume, but the sound always defaults back to the highest level. (The loud noise is especially annoying early in the morning when I am still a bit sleepy.) I work at a dealership and have had the service department try to fix the problem. So far we have not been able to get the buzzer volume to stay at a lower level. I plan to check on another Promaster that we have on the lot and see if that one has the same buzzer problem.

Hah those honestly seem like really trivial issues. Any more serious issues you've found with your promaster? Have you converted it? Gimme some of the juicy details. 

Intermittent brake squeal is trivial?? "Problem with the 2014's"??? Dealership can't fix??  :huh:

Brakes should not squeal.... Might be an indication of impending problem or design flaw. Hope you're not one of the 'victims' when Fiat/Chrysler announces recall in a few years.

Run away! :(

My 2c....
The Promaster is half Fiat half Chrysler. These marriages usually cause issues and don't last long in production. (usually a stop gap)
The drive line is light duty mini van. Do some research on the 62TE transaxle.

Just my opinion, buy a van with some sort of track record, nothing worse than buying a vehicle and a year or so later find out many problems and by then will lose resale value because dealer knows and will have a hard time selling it again, my sis was a first year sprinter owner and after a year would never start when it was normally hot, dealer could not fix. but they could find a way not to lemon law it LOL.  

So go to "promaster forum.com" and read up. One thread was for owners who have had the PM for a year, any buyers remorse? Most liked it, here's one example:

"Kip-on-truckin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
I'm at 8 months, 75,000 miles. Excluding the radiator (replaced under warrany last week, holding fine) and the brake squeal (seems like its diminished, could be im used to it) the van has had zero point zero problems. This is a gas van.

I'm ticked pink. Van consistently gets 21mpg under 62mph, and my lifetime average is in the high 17s. No electrical issues, no wear and tear problems. No exhaust issues or cooling ptoblems. Nice.

If i had it to do over, i would skip the extended and get the 2500. Just for the savings.

FYI the Vancos are about half worn. They perform ok, but when i replace them ill get something else. And i plan on running blizzaks in the winter."

My main comment is that the mileage does seem any great shakes... I mean a 17 mpg average, unless he was really loaded down, isn't that far off a GM or ford 2500/250.

Several posters said their radiators had to be replaced under warranty, nearly all had the brake squeal which had never been corrected, one complained lots of quality issues and parts not being available (about 2 down from the one above) but he was questioned as possible spoof post since he had only 3 posts to his name.

So in retrospect the longer term owners liked it. Whether you will like a front wheel drive with perhaps questionable load capacity I don't know. One poster here questioned their transaxle, it's true that in 2007 and up till maybe 2011 they had some issues with it. They've had a lot of time to correct them and the dodge press releases claim the transaxle has been beefed up to handle the payloads. Who knows?

That's the problem with new vehicle lines, it takes years for things to shake out. Are you comfortable with being an "early adopter" and taking the risk?

Another promaster forum poster said this:

12 months 16000 miles. 159 2500 Granite crystal metallic. Best color because it is the nearest match to the gaudy plastic trim. Glad I ordered the drivers side slider, use it as much as the drivers door. Alloy wheels really look nice compared to the steel ones. Only option I regret is the Tomtom Navigation, it truly is lame compared to my Garmin Nuvi. I absolutely hate the squeaky brakes. Other than the brakes the only problem is the leaky radiator, still on order 4 weeks. Love the power and handling. All things considered a nearly trouble free first year. I will be ordering another one next year.
Last edited by ericsram; 04-23-2015 at 06:02 AM.

Here's my last quote from a good source on that forum, a well balanced report...

1 yr @ 48k miles, 159 WB 2500. Very happy over all, use it in the parcel delivery business. The front wheel drive is great in the winter, my previous rwd sprinter could never go where the PM goes when it is empty or lightly loaded. I think I might get 60k on the OEM tires, maybe even 65k. These tires were OEM on my "07" sprinter and they were shot @ 35k so they must have changed the makeup of the rubber compound since then. The brake squeal got better after 10k and now is almost gone. The pads and rotors look great, when it does squeal it is not loud like before. Had my radiator replaced about a month ago after waiting 6 to 8 weeks for the new one. Only used a 1/2 gallon of antifreeze over 40k, you could never see a leak only smell antifreeze outside the truck. The system was pressure tested and they ordered a radiator and hose under warranty. It used a 1/4 gallon in 8k miles since the replacement. Had it in today and a regional rep was in and told the service manager that when replacing the radiator the thermostat must be changed because of issues with the early units. So FYI to those who are still waiting for your radiator replacement, have them switch out the thermostat under warranty too. Time will tell how well the PM holds up, it is unfortunate that there are problems (some major PIA ones) but I must admit that buying a first year new model I knew I was throwing the dice somewhat but the FWD was the deciding factor for me. The truck is not perfect by any means but it serves me well, so far so good.....

I've been eyeing a van for a while now and think I've settled on the Promaster. Now I just need to decide if I want the gas version or the diesel.

I'm concerned with the minivan transmission in the gasser. They say it hunts between 5th and 6th gear with the slightest hill or headwind. I foresee this as a wear problem with extended mileage on it.

SOME of the diesel's are having a bunch of check engine lights and going into "limp mode" (sort of like the Sprinter). Others are working perfectly, but gives me reservations about them anyway.

I do like the width. I'm 6'2" and will be able to sleep widthwise allowing more room for other stuff.

As of now I am planning on getting a 159" 2500 diesel in a month or so.

Read their forum, diesel specific:

Should I buy a 2014 Promaster Diesel?
Hey all,

I have a local dealership trying to get rid of the 14' diesels on the lot. Looking at a high roof 136'' pretty much loaded with a sticker of $38,900 for 29,999.

I think its a pretty good price for diesel, but the reviews of the diesel are SO mixed right now. I am wondering if most the problems have been of course on the 14' models. So is it worth getting the diesel and perhaps more problems?

I need this van for work, and I need it to start and drive. Do you think gas is more reliable at this point that gas? I have heard of multiple people getting new PM diesels because they cant figure out what is wrong with theirs... Kinda scary...

I have a gas that is doing great that I am getting ready to sell to build out another. Just wondering if diesel should be a good option.

Thanks

Stephen

Next post:
DennisTn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I may not be able to help with choice, but I also bought a 2014 diesel that the dealer was trying to move. I have had 3 Fords, the last one a 2003 E250 that I put 225,00 miles on. I have had mine for a little over 2 weeks and love it more every time I drive it. The automatic shifting feels different, but I am getting used to it. I work out of my van and this one is the best feel I have ever had, lots of room and I can stand up in the back at 6' 3". I have been averaging 24 MPG and I can not complain with that. Good luck, but I am very happy with my diesel.

Last copied post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurevan View Post

I have a gas that is doing great that I am getting ready to sell to build out another. Just wondering if diesel should be a good option.

IMO unless you are regularly hauling 1000's of pounds of cargo, towing a large trailer or driving 30,000+ miles per year the diesel option is just not worth it. Just on this site alone there are a dozen or more diesel owners that have posted about significant issues with the diesel. Many of which left their vans unusable. If they're having problems with only a few thousand miles imagine the costs and issues that might arise a few years down the road when they warranty might not cover the costs. The fuel savings for most drivers are just about a wash when you add the higher price of diesel fuel, DEF and higher initial purchase price.

On the gas side I've only read about one serious problem and that was a blown motor at 109k miles. The 3.6 has sufficient power for the vast majority of users and for the most part the power train appears to be problem free. I have seen some complaints about the shifting between 5th and 6th gear, but that's about it for issues."

So you see it's mixed. Go,to their forum, they have literally hundreds of pages about the diesels... Nobody here will have as good of info.

"U pays yor money and takes yor chances"