On the road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyl4rk

Reaction score
Took a nice short vacation to escape winter in MI.  Drove down to Damascus, VA in a Grand Caravan.

Visited indian mound sites and took a day hike on the Appalachian Trail.  Got to drive across the amazing mountains of eastern Kentucky.  Night time temps were in the low 30s, and one night in the 50s.  No problem with a 20F down sleeping bag and backpacking pads, plus a few extra blankets.  Saw 79F as a high, woah, turn on the air conditioning.  Night time ventilation for the van was with front windows cracked open with rain guards, no condensation problems and plenty of fresh air.  Chilly too!

This was mainly a driving trip, I did not have time to stop in any one place for long.  I would have liked to hang out in Damascus for a week or two, and spend more time hiking and backpacking the AT.  I was in a national forest just east of Damascus and did the boondocking thing for one night, not sure if it was legal.  There were others doing the same thing in the area.

I tried to spend an hour or so each day organizing my stuff and learning what I needed and what I did not need.  The more stuff you have, the more difficult it is to keep everything in order and find the stuff you need.  I did not cook on this trip, just ate restaurant food and no-cook foods.  Next time I will stop somewhere and camp for a longer period of time and learn to do the cooking, clean up and other household stuff.  Also I need to learn to relax and hang out.  Because I was moving fast, I never stopped to relax, although the hiking was relaxing.  Need more time off from work to do that, or just camp closer to home with less drive time.

The van worked great, with curtains hanging from the coat hooks near the side doors.  The Stow-and-Go seats were folded into the floor on one side in the back, making a sleeping area on the floor.  Reflectix cut to size to fit the side windows in back, then jammed into place.  I had a piece of Reflectix that I could jam into the back window, which was removable for driving.  A fleece sleeping bag hung from the coat hooks side to side completed the blackout sleeping area.  It was easy to remove but secure enough that I could change clothes and clean up behind it. I used backpacking sleeping pads which worked OK.  A thick piece of foam would have been more comfortable but I slept well.  The first night, not so well, the second better, and the third and fourth nights like a baby.  I got over being afraid of every sound.

Cleanup was with baby wipes, and with washcloths and a spray bottle with the mixture of water, witch hazel, baby shampoo and baby oil, which worked very well (see the Prius camper blog and article on this site).  If you wipedown multiple times a day, this system leaves you very fresh and clean, and would work for longer periods of time without the need for a shower.  The Caravan has just enough space to do this inside the blackout area but one needs to be flexible and learn to pull one's pants on without standing up straight.  (Note to self, practice situps and yoga before next trip).  I need to find a better way to deal with crazy hair issues (for example, a short haircut) and I need to figure out how to brush my teeth more often.  I was too shy to do it out in the open or at some restrooms.  I did not have a folding table, so I did not have a place to put my wash basin (or cooking stuff), which made it a little difficult to take care of daily hygiene stuff where you splash water around like shaving and tooth brushing, which you can't do in your sleeping area.  Add folding table and folding chair to list for next time. 

The Caravan works well in cool weather but I'm not sure the setup would work in warm weather.  There were no bugs on this trip, but there would have been if it was warmer. The van would probably need a roof vent, or the front windows would need to be opened up wide with screens.  But then rain would be a problem. 

The Caravan is barely large enough for one vandwelling person.  More space and a high top would be better, but then the vehicle would probably use twice as much fuel.

Gawd, I love reading Capt. Logs! :cool:

Great write up! I like hearing all about places people go but I also like to hear the stuff you highlighted, the learning that goes on during each trip. Thanks for the honest & open reflections. Looking forward to hearing about your next trip.

Cheers

How many with you? I keep my GC's middle and rear seats under the floor unless needed, and a 4'X8' black rubber truck mat down on the floor. Plenty room for camping, though another foot of roof height would be nice!

LeeRevell said:
How many with you?  I keep my GC's middle and rear seats under the floor unless needed, and a 4'X8' black rubber truck mat down on the floor.   Plenty room for camping, though another foot of roof height would be nice!

Just me.  I find the rear seats to be uncomfortable to sit in and would probably put the middle and rear seats down under next time.  They were nice to be able to store things but took up room that could have been used for moving around.  Unfortunately I had opened the underfloor space up and had used it to store stuff (windshield washer fluid, jumper cables, tire inflator, etc.) so I could not stow the seat.

Awesome i live pretty close to Damascus its a great town the have a trail days celebration in may its worth checking out if you have time for another trip

My sweet Mom helped me make some sleeve type screens for the front windows of my van.  She did the sewing after I measured the screen.

If you do not sew, you could still make some like the ones I made.  I took a roll of screen and wrapped the window from side to side, cut the screen and sewed up the top and front side.  You could wrap it from front to back and sew up the back side but if you have to go around your mirrors you will have to adjust it from the front. You could use duck tape instead of sewing.   If you don't want a sleeve type, another way is to cut the screen the size of the window and just use magnets to attach it to the van.  I preferred the sleeve type as strong winds don't affect it as much as a single screen.  I did sew magnets into the outside bottom hem to keep it tight. I just open the door, slide the screen over the door and close it, roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

I also made a screen for the back doors.  With the front windows down and the back doors open, the breeze really comes through.

Two cheap rolls of screen, a roll of duck tape and a few magnets if you like and you can keep the mossies out! Of course, they don't help with the rain!

Bela said:
I just open the door, slide the screen over the door and close it, roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.
Does the sleeve cover the entire door?

skyl4rk said:
Took a nice short vacation to escape winter in MI.  Drove down to Damascus, VA in a Grand Caravan.

Visited indian mound sites and took a day hike on the Appalachian Trail.  Got to drive across the amazing mountains of eastern Kentucky.  Night time temps were in the low 30s, and one night in the 50s.  No problem with a 20F down sleeping bag and backpacking pads, plus a few extra blankets.  Saw 79F as a high, woah, turn on the air conditioning.  Night time ventilation for the van was with front windows cracked open with rain guards, no condensation problems and plenty of fresh air.  Chilly too!

This was mainly a driving trip, I did not have time to stop in any one place for long.  I would have liked to hang out in Damascus for a week or two, and spend more time hiking and backpacking the AT.  I was in a national forest just east of Damascus and did the boondocking thing for one night, not sure if it was legal.  There were others doing the same thing in the area.

I tried to spend an hour or so each day organizing my stuff and learning what I needed and what I did not need.  The more stuff you have, the more difficult it is to keep everything in order and find the stuff you need.  I did not cook on this trip, just ate restaurant food and no-cook foods.  Next time I will stop somewhere and camp for a longer period of time and learn to do the cooking, clean up and other household stuff.  Also I need to learn to relax and hang out.  Because I was moving fast, I never stopped to relax, although the hiking was relaxing.  Need more time off from work to do that, or just camp closer to home with less drive time.

The van worked great, with curtains hanging from the coat hooks near the side doors.  The Stow-and-Go seats were folded into the floor on one side in the back, making a sleeping area on the floor.  Reflectix cut to size to fit the side windows in back, then jammed into place.  I had a piece of Reflectix that I could jam into the back window, which was removable for driving.  A fleece sleeping bag hung from the coat hooks side to side completed the blackout sleeping area.  It was easy to remove but secure enough that I could change clothes and clean up behind it. I used backpacking sleeping pads which worked OK.  A thick piece of foam would have been more comfortable but I slept well.  The first night, not so well, the second better, and the third and fourth nights like a baby.  I got over being afraid of every sound.

Cleanup was with baby wipes, and with washcloths and a spray bottle with the mixture of water, witch hazel, baby shampoo and baby oil, which worked very well (see the Prius camper blog and article on this site).  If you wipedown multiple times a day, this system leaves you very fresh and clean, and would work for longer periods of time without the need for a shower.  The Caravan has just enough space to do this inside the blackout area but one needs to be flexible and learn to pull one's pants on without standing up straight.  (Note to self, practice situps and yoga before next trip).  I need to find a better way to deal with crazy hair issues (for example, a short haircut) and I need to figure out how to brush my teeth more often.  I was too shy to do it out in the open or at some restrooms.  I did not have a folding table, so I did not have a place to put my wash basin (or cooking stuff), which made it a little difficult to take care of daily hygiene stuff where you splash water around like shaving and tooth brushing, which you can't do in your sleeping area.  Add folding table and folding chair to list for next time. 

The Caravan works well in cool weather but I'm not sure the setup would work in warm weather.  There were no bugs on this trip, but there would have been if it was warmer. The van would probably need a roof vent, or the front windows would need to be opened up wide with screens.  But then rain would be a problem. 

The Caravan is barely large enough for one vandwelling person.  More space and a high top would be better, but then the vehicle would probably use twice as much fuel.

"No Rinse" shampoo is great for hair. No water necessary. Found in the "Senior" section of products in pharmacies like Wgreens.

Before I got my E150, I had been planning to take the middle and rear seats completely out of my GC, and use the wells as stowage space. Covers to be made of plywood, and covered in matching carpet. The rear well is huge, and the middles are good sized. I think a gel cell battery on it's side will fit in a middle well, and a water tank in the other. I'd keep camping gear in the rear well. That would save a lot of inside space. I still like camping in the GC as it is more fuel efficient and easier to drive. Also my E150 isn't equipped for towing yet. I like to tow my bike in the utility trailer to events.