OMG I think I might actually be doing this . . .

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radar

Reaction score
I've been watching videos and considering this for the last year or so.  I'll be 59 yr old this year, I do not want to work anymore and I'm ready to try something extremely different.  I would like to hook up with some folks maybe as soon as mid-October.  I'm looking for a van now and plan to stay in Bellingham, WA for a month or so living in the van and then head south.  My question is where and how do I make a connection with you all so I can get familiar with how to do this lifestyle?

Excited, scared . . . .

There is a yearly get-together in Quartzsite, AZ in January, called the RTR - Rubber Tramp Rendezvous. Complete with classes  :)

If you haven't found it yet, there's a YouTube channel linked to this forum, called Enigmatic Nomadics. Here's a link to one of this years' RTR...look around and you'll find others too:

Guide to the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous in Quartzsite, Arizona

Welcome to the forums!

A little more information would be helpful such as where do you want to end up? Have you read about the Rubber Tramp rendezvous? In my research I came across some websites that might be useful. I want to have roots someplace so I am targeting in on Quartzsite area for a number of reasons including the fact that I will need to have some part time income. So here is a link to a site that reviews RV parks and links to 2 groups that offer free stays for a short time. Might be a good way to meet folks. Hope they help.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/
https://www.couchsurfing.com/
https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Radar! If you use facebook there are a quite a few facebook groups. Search for vandwellers, fulltime RV, Rubber Tramps. But, by introucing yourself here yourself here you've already begun networking. We're everywhere!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome aboard Radar !
There are a bunch of tribe up in your area.
Now that you're on here posting , they'll find ya!

rvpopeye said:
Welcome aboard Radar !
There are a bunch of tribe up in your area.
Now that you're on here posting , they'll find ya!

LOL, I would love to be 'found'!  I'm on the search for a good van right now.  I go from being terrified to being curious and excited.

JeriLynn said:
A little more information would be helpful such as where do you want to end up? Have you read about the Rubber Tramp rendezvous?  In my research I came across some websites that might be useful. I want to have roots someplace so I am targeting in on Quartzsite area for a number of reasons including the fact that I will need to have some part time income. So here is a link to a site that reviews RV parks and links to 2 groups that offer free stays for a short time. Might be a good way to meet folks.  Hope they help.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/
https://www.couchsurfing.com/
https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/

Hi Jeri Lynn,  End up?  I don't know.  lol  First, I feel like I have to get 'started'.  I love Bellingham and this is where my family (kids/granddaughters) are, so it would be nice to spend the summers here.  Otherwise, I'd like to travel a bit and meet some folks I could caravan with as well as do some solo stuff.  I need to find a van and then take the plunge.  I'm looking constantly for a van, but I'm scared to just do it!

BradKW said:
There is a yearly get-together in Quartzsite, AZ in January, called the RTR - Rubber Tramp Rendezvous. Complete with classes  :)

If you haven't found it yet, there's a YouTube channel linked to this forum, called Enigmatic Nomadics. Here's a link to one of this years' RTR...look around and you'll find others too:

Guide to the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous in Quartzsite, Arizona

Welcome to the forums!

Hi Brad, thanks for the welcome.  I have read all about the RTR.  I'm looking at coming to the 2017 RTR.  Hopefully, meet some folks and get acquainted.

Radar said:
Hi Jeri Lynn,  End up?  I don't know.  lol  First, I feel like I have to get 'started'.  I love Bellingham and this is where my family (kids/granddaughters) are, so it would be nice to spend the summers here.  Otherwise, I'd like to travel a bit and meet some folks I could caravan with as well as do some solo stuff.  I need to find a van and then take the plunge.  I'm looking constantly for a van, but I'm scared to just do it!

Yes, I realized after I made the post that the question was a bit dumb. So where do you want to wander to? I have seen enough of the southwest to know that I want to comb over every area of AZ, NM, CO and Utah.  Why not do a trip in a car and see if you like it? What kind of vehicle to you have now? I have a minivan and slept my first night in a Walmart parking lot which was ok, but I did not bring a warm blanket and learned that having a toilet in the car was an absolute must.  I hope that I can attend the RTR in January as a beginning to networking with other other like minded individuals. For me, that will be the start of a new life. I also, would like to to do some group trips as well as going solo and going with my partner. He has a limit of about 2 weeks before he wants to go home, whereas, I would be very comfortable with a month or two. The idea of living totally on the road is to drastic. I am planning on making some forays out first to see how it goes.

JeriLynn said:
Yes, I realized after I made the post that the question was a bit dumb. So where do you want to wander to? I have seen enough of the southwest to know that I want to comb over every area of AZ, NM, CO and Utah.  Why not do a trip in a car and see if you like it? What kind of vehicle to you have now? I have a minivan and slept my first night in a Walmart parking lot which was ok, but I did not bring a warm blanket and learned that having a toilet in the car was an absolute must.  I hope that I can attend the RTR in January as a beginning to networking with other other like minded individuals. For me, that will be the start of a new life. I also, would like to to do some group trips as well as going solo and going with my partner. He has a limit of about 2 weeks before he wants to go home, whereas, I would be very comfortable with a month or two. The idea of living totally on the road is to drastic. I am planning on making some forays out first to see how it goes.

Well, I'm kind of a 'dive-in' sort, so my thought is to move out of my small rented condo and just go for it.  I figure I can always go back to stick built if I want to.  My current car is too small for me to 'try' it in.  But wow, I'm having a hard time finding the van I want.  Anyway, I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around the whole idea, even though I've been looking at this as a possibility for over a year now.  It's still a big leap!

step 1 get a vehicle.
step 2 go.
step 3+ what ever you want to do.
highdesertranger

Hiya Radar!

Well...we'd love to give you some help, but we'll need some parameters as to what you're looking for

Such as: What kind of budget to you have to work with??? (this will open and close ALOT of doors)

Do you want an RV, with a full bathroom, beds, and a galley...or will a standard van work for you, or will you need a hightop?? Or how about a mini-van?? (are you super fuel economy minded)

How about your monthly living expenses?? What do you think you'll be able to live on each month?? Will you be traveling non-stop, or will you plant your butt for a month or two at a location??

Answers to these questions will help us to help you find what you're looking for.

Good Luck!!

Hello from the Oregon Coastline!! :D

Radar said:
I've been watching videos and considering this for the last year or so.  I'll be 59 yr old this year, I do not want to work anymore and I'm ready to try something extremely different.  I would like to hook up with some folks maybe as soon as mid-October.  I'm looking for a van now and plan to stay in Bellingham, WA for a month or so living in the van and then head south.  My question is where and how do I make a connection with you all so I can get familiar with how to do this lifestyle?

Excited, scared . . . .
I can very much relate to what you are feeling. I have been reading about this life for months as well. I expect to hit the road in October or November and have decided that I will wait to purchase anything until after I have tested the waters. I plan to begin my adventure in either a hybrid Toyota Avalon or a  non hybrid Toyota Rav 4 since these are the vehicles readily available to me.. I think the Rav 4 would be more comfortable  to stretch out and carry things, but think that I would enjoy having the advantages of the Hybrid Avalon  for heat and air. I look forward to the responses that you receive on this thread and will be following it.
I am excited for you!