Oleander a PSA

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
also raisins and walnuts are toxic. If you suspect your dog may have eaten something bad and you realize it right away (within two hours) you can use 3% hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. The site below talk about it, but I had to do this a couple years ago when Soren pulled a carrot cake off the kitchen counter (with both raisins and walnuts). At the time could not tell which dog had one it ( was out of the room) so called vet and they said don’t take a chance, induce both. Their instruction were to use a turkey baster and  1/3 of a cup ( web link below says 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds). Worked like a charm, took them out on driveway and within 2 minutes both had given up their stomach contents...and then we knew who the bad boy was! Anyway, dog owners, keep a turkey baster and HP on hand, especially if around high risk stuff for your 
https://pethelpful.com/dogs/How-and-when-to-induce-vomiting-in-your-dog

Again, so glad Max is back to wonder dog status!

Burning any part of the oleander bush will release toxins into the air which can harm humans and animals.

When I was growing up the whole fence line on 3 sides of our backyard was planted with a screening hedge of oleanders. I don't recall any warnings about it being poison. Our dog never got sick, none of us 5 kids got sick either. My mother used to bring some of the blooming branches into the house and put them in a vase. I wonder if it is still being used as an ornamental?

Yes I bought some at Home Depot for a landscaping project. Nerium. Neighbor has red Nerium, the worst. OOPS.

I'm thinking of replacing them with dwarf lime trees which are not hazardous to humans, but are still hazardous to cats and dogs. And apparently drip sap. Even beautiful bougies are hazardous to pets and also spread magenta petals everywhere.
What a quandry. No wonder everyone in AZ grows palm trees. 
-crofter

Yeah we have tons of oleander and other poisonous plants but I’ve never known a dog or child to ingest them in 58 years. I’ve been tempted to make some teas for certain people but have controlled myself.

Edit: surprised about your dog but he’s a pup and maybe more exploratory. Glad he’s ok!!

Latest posts